• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would a Thick as Thieves suit be MC approved?

Their "traditional cut" is certainly closer to MC-approved than their house cut. Frankly though, the Thicks as Thieves guys will tell you that they have a specific aesthetic that is not particularly traditional. If you want traditional, you're best going somewhere that does it.

Thanks for the response. Is there anything similar (price, possibly MTM) that is more inline with mc train of thought?

I haven't kept up with the MTM outfits since a year or two ago when there was that did more traditional men's suits but folded due to financial difficulties. I haven't checked Hemrajani's prices lately, but if he or one of the other traveling Asian tailors visits a city near you, they can definitely do a traditional suit at a reasonable price.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wool vs. silk dress socks, and why?

Carefully-laundered wool socks will last longer than silk socks, probably a lot longer. Wool's moisture wicking properties make it comfortable in both hot and cold weather. I reserve silk socks for the most formal of occasions -- black tie, etc.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never understood the appeal of the bicycle toe. I can't picture any scenario in which it looks good.

The appeal is that it's different and unique. Or at least that was the appeal to me when I was in my early 20s...

Sorry to continue a discussion from Friday, but I'm feeling all defensive about my 'bicycle-toed' and 'open-laced' shoes.  Pictured again for reference:

I wear these with my shoes formally with a suit and get a lot of compliments about them looking nice and smart (admittedly from the 'general population').  I think that saying you can't imagine them ever looking good is a very extreme view, and would put you in a segment of the population that could hence be described as extremist, which is never good in my book.  Or perhaps there are just stronger opinions in the US about this than there is in the UK?  A bit like the open lacing versus closed lacing thing, I suspect that's completely lost on anyone outside SF and I genuinely don't believe open lacing instantly makes shoes less smart than closed lacing.

I didn't buy them because I thought they were different, I'm not an idiot...

I certainly had no intention of implying that you were an idiot. I was saying only that I could not envision a scenario in which a bicycle toe shoe would work better than a different style of shoe. I like your choice of captoes. I think the squared-off toe is generally within the bounds of what would be considered traditional. I hope they work well for you.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Carefully-laundered wool socks will last longer than silk socks, probably a lot longer. Wool's moisture wicking properties make it comfortable in both hot and cold weather. I reserve silk socks for the most formal of occasions -- black tie, etc.

My pant legs are catching on my socks, causing me to pull the pant leg down to get rid of the bunching, and another member told me to look for slipperier socks. :/ Not sure if he was screwing with me.

I may have to go up a size to accomodate for my calves and have a tailor fix alter the seat and waist. :(

Last edited:

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is my pants too tight? For me its kinda tight around the waist/buttocks region but other than that the thigh and legs fit perfectly. Is it possible if I were to bring it to a tailor for some minor adjustments? thanks!

Those are really tight all over from the perspective of traditional suit fit. I would be afraid of trying to sit down in those. Whether your tailor could let them out a bit depends a lot on how much seam allowance was built into the trousers.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My pant legs are catching on my socks, causing me to pull the pant leg down to get rid of the bunching, and another member told me to look for slipperier socks. :/ Not sure if he was screwing with me.

I may have to go up a size to accomodate for my calves and have a tailor fix alter the seat and waist. :(

I can't imagine how that would happen unless your pants were pretty tight through the calves. I wear over-the-calf wool socks almost every day and have no trouble with them, but I wear only trousers with a traditional cut.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also wear OTC wool socks but I have 16.5" calves and wear slim cut pants by Howard Yount :(

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone know where I can get a pair of pea/leaf green chinos, on the order of:

Saw these photos and noticed that I have quite a bit in my wardrobe that would work well with a color like this.  I also just need more green in my wardrobe as it looks good on me.  I've considered the Epaulet rivet ducks (second pic), but they seem too heavy.  Their walt twill trousers are more what I'm looking for, but they only come in a much cooler, technicolor emerald green.  Any suggestions?  Thanks guys.

Epaulet

roquesoon

Reaction score
Looked at the Epaulet rivet ducks in leaf. Will that fabric hold a crease very well? It looks to be closer to a midweight denim in texture and thickness. As I said, really looking for something more along the lines of their Walt trouser, but they don't make it in the same color. Any other options out there?

Also, again, apologies for the duplicate posts. Kept getting error messages, and since my posts have to get moderated, wasn't sure if they were showing up. Any mod, feel free to delete the dupes.

Last edited:

TuckerSon

Reaction score
What is the difference between a blazer from H&M/ZARA versus Suit Supply? I can imagine the fabrics can be a bit better at the Suit Supply, but what about the other aspects?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between a blazer from H&M/ZARA versus Suit Supply? I can imagine the fabrics can be a bit better at the Suit Supply, but what about the other aspects?

For one thing, a variety of sizes. H&M doesn't have any Short sizes. They do have Long, but they are few and far between. Of course, if you wear a Regular, you don't care about that.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Suitsupply has much better construction. Their jackets are half canvassed. H&M and Zara jackets are fused.

Last edited:

Nailjohnj

Reaction score
So, I ended up getting one of those Zegna cloth suits from Off Fifth for ~$350. Its one of the made in the USA ones (which is an Abboud suit), half canvased and fits like a glove. I was in a tough spot b/c I needed to have a conservative suit for law firm interviews and only had a small window of time to be able to buy the suit and get it to my tailor in time plus I didn't enough money for the suit I'd been saving for (Samuelsohn). So, is this thing complete crap or can it be a decent rotation every day work suit?

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, I ended up getting one of those Zegna cloth suits from Off Fifth for ~$350. Its one of the made in the USA ones (which is an Abboud suit), half canvased and fits like a glove. I was in a tough spot b/c I needed to have a conservative suit for law firm interviews and only had a small window of time to be able to buy the suit and get it to my tailor in time plus I didn't enough money for the suit I'd been saving for (Samuelsohn). So, is this thing complete crap or can it be a decent rotation every day work suit?

I'd say that's a good buy. Half canvassed out of good cloth for $350 is nothing to sneeze at.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads