• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I'm looking for a raincoat.

The garment you mentioned is a fairly casual rain jacket. It's probably perfectly fine for what it is, but what it isn't is a raincoat intended to be worn in a professional setting.

I've said this before (mostly in regard to shoes, but it applies equally well to this situation) - There are many items of clothing that work great when you want to go out at night in jeans. There are many items of clothing that work great when you want a fairly traditional professional look for business. But there are relatively few items of clothing that work well at both of these extremes. (There are some. Exceptions exist to every rule. But they're just that - exceptions. They do not invalidate the general rule.)

In the long run, you're usually better off buying one item of clothing for casual wear with jeans, and another for professional wear, and not trying to get away with a "does it all" item. Yes, I get that this may mean a somewhat greater initial expenditure. But since the "does it all" item will most likely eventually prove unsatisfactory to you for at least one type of wear (if not both), it's not necessarily wrong to just pay the money it takes up front, and get it right the first time.

Or, you could simply decide to give up the "going out at night in jeans" idea, and adopt a somewhat more mature look. Thus avoiding the need to get a "goin' out" rainjacket, along with a "going to work" raincoat. :)

FWIW, for many years, I managed to get away with but a single tan London Fog trench coat, for both work and play.
--
Michael

Last edited:

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would a Thick as Thieves suit be MC approved?

Their "traditional cut" is certainly closer to MC-approved than their house cut. Frankly though, the Thicks as Thieves guys will tell you that they have a specific aesthetic that is not particularly traditional. If you want traditional, you're best going somewhere that does it.

Aeneas

Reaction score
Would a Thick as Thieves suit be MC approved?

Their "traditional cut" is certainly closer to MC-approved than their house cut. Frankly though, the Thicks as Thieves guys will tell you that they have a specific aesthetic that is not particularly traditional. If you want traditional, you're best going somewhere that does it.

Thanks for the response. Is there anything similar (price, possibly MTM) that is more inline with mc train of thought?

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wool vs. silk dress socks, and why?

What thread count does RLPL use for their dress shirts? If I find the same thread count from another maker will the quality be the same as PL?

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've been reading these forums incessantly the last few months, and finally decided to register. I have searched and have read mixed opinions on this, so hopefully I can get some clarification before I decide to buy. I am graduating from a professional accounting program in a few months and I'm looking for a suit for interviewing and to start my professional wardrobe. My choice is of course Navy, and the two suits I am considering are the : Napoli Navy - from Suitsupply, and the Brooks Brothers 1818 Fitzgerald in Navy. As an accountant I want to look put together and professional, but not trendy. I want a quality suit that will last for years. I'm I 38S, and I've tried both on and they both fit me well, I am just undecided on which is the safer choice. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you. Suitsupply: http://www.suitsupply.com/navy-suit-napoli/P2778,en_US,pd.html?start=6&cgid=Suits Brooks: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process? Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=418&Product_Id=1210034&Parent_Id=216&default_color=BLACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=#null
Yeah, cause of your multiple posts not sure you're not spam. So in case you're not the Brooks Brothers is a good choice

Lucan

Reaction score
Quote:
Sorry to continue a discussion from Friday, but I'm feeling all defensive about my 'bicycle-toed' and 'open-laced' shoes. Pictured again for reference:

I wear these with my shoes formally with a suit and get a lot of compliments about them looking nice and smart (admittedly from the 'general population'). I think that saying you can't imagine them ever looking good is a very extreme view, and would put you in a segment of the population that could hence be described as extremist, which is never good in my book. Or perhaps there are just stronger opinions in the US about this than there is in the UK? A bit like the open lacing versus closed lacing thing, I suspect that's completely lost on anyone outside SF and I genuinely don't believe open lacing instantly makes shoes less smart than closed lacing.

I didn't buy them because I thought they were different, I'm not an idiot, I bought them because I thought they looked nice (and still do) and they were the best quality I could get with my funds at the time. Making assumptions (slightly derogatively) about why people buy things is not nice!

They may be square-toed to some extent, but are as streamlined as square toes get, and my foot shape (short and wide) dictates that this is the shape of shoe I buy.

Anyway, rant over! Here's my new shoes I picked up in a sale this weekend:

Appreciate some people may feel toes a bit square, but that's what my feet need. I've been listening to what people say about 'corrected grain' etc, and these are a much more untreated/uncoated type of leather than I've bought in the past so I'm really pleased with them, but I'll wait and see if they pass the SF-test!

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do Levi stores carry the 1947 501 in stock regularly, or is it hard to find? If it's difficult to find, are there certain stores that carry them? I would like to try them on rather than order online.

Related, I don't know a lot about denim and got lost in the FAQs in SW&D. I'm really not interested in acquiring an in-depth knowledge of denim, but I'd like something high quality. Any particular styles or brands I should look out for as far as a "go to" pair?

Finally, best way to hem them? I will probably need a 28" or 28.5" hem and I don't really go for stacking or cuffs. Thanks!

dwin95

Reaction score
Is my pants too tight? For me its kinda tight around the waist/buttocks region but other than that the thigh and legs fit perfectly. Is it possible if I were to bring it to a tailor for some minor adjustments? thanks!

muntaka

Reaction score

muntaka

Reaction score
I thought i would post the pictures directly

I own this twill from peter millar in red sport

I am looking for a shoe to go along with it. What do you think about this forzieri wingtip?

Nice combination? What's your opinion?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought i would post the pictures directly

I own this twill from peter millar in red sport

I am looking for a shoe to go along with it. What do you think about this forzieri wingtip?

Nice combination? What's your opinion?

Personally, not a fan of the shoes.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gravy

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight cptjeff and the links abirdinhand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads