Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

The garment you mentioned is a fairly casual rain jacket. It's probably perfectly fine for what it is, but what it isn't is a raincoat intended to be worn in a professional setting.

I've said this before (mostly in regard to shoes, but it applies equally well to this situation) - There are many items of clothing that work great when you want to go out at night in jeans. There are many items of clothing that work great when you want a fairly traditional professional look for business. But there are relatively few items of clothing that work well at both of these extremes. (There are some. Exceptions exist to every rule. But they're just that - exceptions. They do not invalidate the general rule.)

In the long run, you're usually better off buying one item of clothing for casual wear with jeans, and another for professional wear, and not trying to get away with a "does it all" item. Yes, I get that this may mean a somewhat greater initial expenditure. But since the "does it all" item will most likely eventually prove unsatisfactory to you for at least one type of wear (if not both), it's not necessarily wrong to just pay the money it takes up front, and get it right the first time.

Or, you could simply decide to give up the "going out at night in jeans" idea, and adopt a somewhat more mature look. Thus avoiding the need to get a "goin' out" rainjacket, along with a "going to work" raincoat. :)

FWIW, for many years, I managed to get away with but a single tan London Fog trench coat, for both work and play.
    --
    Michael

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Their "traditional cut" is certainly closer to MC-approved than their house cut. Frankly though, the Thicks as Thieves guys will tell you that they have a specific aesthetic that is not particularly traditional. If you want traditional, you're best going somewhere that does it.

3. Aeneas

Aeneas Senior member

Thanks for the response. Is there anything similar (price, possibly MTM) that is more inline with mc train of thought?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

4. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

wool vs. silk dress socks, and why?

What thread count does RLPL use for their dress shirts? If I find the same thread count from another maker will the quality be the same as PL?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

5. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Yeah, cause of your multiple posts not sure you're not spam. So in case you're not the Brooks Brothers is a good choice

6. Lucan

Lucan Senior member

7. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

They're certainly better than the others.

8. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Do Levi stores carry the 1947 501 in stock regularly, or is it hard to find? If it's difficult to find, are there certain stores that carry them? I would like to try them on rather than order online.

Related, I don't know a lot about denim and got lost in the FAQs in SW&D. I'm really not interested in acquiring an in-depth knowledge of denim, but I'd like something high quality. Any particular styles or brands I should look out for as far as a "go to" pair?

Finally, best way to hem them? I will probably need a 28" or 28.5" hem and I don't really go for stacking or cuffs. Thanks!

9. dwin95

dwin95 Member

Is my pants too tight? For me its kinda tight around the waist/buttocks region but other than that the thigh and legs fit perfectly. Is it possible if I were to bring it to a tailor for some minor adjustments? thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Please can you PM me if you can proxy in France?

11. muntaka

muntaka Member

12. muntaka

muntaka Member

I thought i would post the pictures directly

I own this twill from peter millar in red sport
    [​IMG]

I am looking for a shoe to go along with it. What do you think about this forzieri wingtip?

[​IMG]

Nice combination? What's your opinion?

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Personally, not a fan of the shoes.

14. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

+1

15. Gravy

Gravy New Member

Thanks for the insight cptjeff and the links abirdinhand.