Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I haven't kept up with the MTM outfits since a year or two ago when there was that did more traditional men's suits but folded due to financial difficulties. I haven't checked Hemrajani's prices lately, but if he or one of the other traveling Asian tailors visits a city near you, they can definitely do a traditional suit at a reasonable price.

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Carefully-laundered wool socks will last longer than silk socks, probably a lot longer. Wool's moisture wicking properties make it comfortable in both hot and cold weather. I reserve silk socks for the most formal of occasions -- black tie, etc.

3. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I certainly had no intention of implying that you were an idiot. I was saying only that I could not envision a scenario in which a bicycle toe shoe would work better than a different style of shoe. I like your choice of captoes. I think the squared-off toe is generally within the bounds of what would be considered traditional. I hope they work well for you.

4. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

My pant legs are catching on my socks, causing me to pull the pant leg down to get rid of the bunching, and another member told me to look for slipperier socks. :/ Not sure if he was screwing with me.

I may have to go up a size to accomodate for my calves and have a tailor fix alter the seat and waist. :(

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Those are really tight all over from the perspective of traditional suit fit. I would be afraid of trying to sit down in those. Whether your tailor could let them out a bit depends a lot on how much seam allowance was built into the trousers.

6. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I can't imagine how that would happen unless your pants were pretty tight through the calves. I wear over-the-calf wool socks almost every day and have no trouble with them, but I wear only trousers with a traditional cut.

7. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I also wear OTC wool socks but I have 16.5" calves and wear slim cut pants by Howard Yount :(

8. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Epaulet

9. roquesoon

roquesoon Senior member

Looked at the Epaulet rivet ducks in leaf. Will that fabric hold a crease very well? It looks to be closer to a midweight denim in texture and thickness. As I said, really looking for something more along the lines of their Walt trouser, but they don't make it in the same color. Any other options out there?

Also, again, apologies for the duplicate posts. Kept getting error messages, and since my posts have to get moderated, wasn't sure if they were showing up. Any mod, feel free to delete the dupes.

10. TuckerSon

TuckerSon Active Member

What is the difference between a blazer from H&M/ZARA versus Suit Supply? I can imagine the fabrics can be a bit better at the Suit Supply, but what about the other aspects?

11. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

For one thing, a variety of sizes. H&M doesn't have any Short sizes. They do have Long, but they are few and far between. Of course, if you wear a Regular, you don't care about that.

12. hufferpuff

hufferpuff New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Anyone know of any place to get similar boots? :) Barneys had the ones to the left but sadly not my size.

13. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Suitsupply has much better construction. Their jackets are half canvassed. H&M and Zara jackets are fused.

14. Nailjohnj

Nailjohnj Member

So, I ended up getting one of those Zegna cloth suits from Off Fifth for ~$350. Its one of the made in the USA ones (which is an Abboud suit), half canvased and fits like a glove. I was in a tough spot b/c I needed to have a conservative suit for law firm interviews and only had a small window of time to be able to buy the suit and get it to my tailor in time plus I didn't enough money for the suit I'd been saving for (Samuelsohn). So, is this thing complete crap or can it be a decent rotation every day work suit?

15. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I'd say that's a good buy. Half canvassed out of good cloth for $350 is nothing to sneeze at.