• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a problem when choosing shirt colors.

I have 5 blue shirts including 2 buttown-down oxfords, 2 denims and 1 poplin. The sale seasons are tempting me to buy some new shirts.
Some shops are selling Gitman blue button-down stripe oxfords for half of the price.
Should I buy that shirt or invest in other colors?

dufferin1

Reaction score
Best white shirt readily available? Have looked for Barba/Borelli and its pretty tough to find them (found a white Borelli in 15.75 though I am a 15.5) may try it anyways.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sorry about the picture being dark.
Now I lost 35 lbs altogether (I'm not 332 lbs.) And what colors of suits, sportcoats/blazers, dress shirts, neckties, trousers, and casual wear would I good in?
Would a longer collar length or shorter collar length for a dress shirt look good on me? Even narrow or wide necktie? Plus besides solids and small stripes, would bold Stripes, checks, plaids be okay?
BTW, Do you think I looked like ex-GMA host David Hartman?

For suits stick with solid darker colors, or pinstripes. For shirts spread collars always look best. Stay away from bold stripes, in general they tend to look bad. I would also stay away from anything checked, or plaid as it makes larger people look even broader. I hope this helps.

yomali

Reaction score
How much does jacket size, particularly shoulder measurements, change with weightlifting. This is obviously too vague to give a real answer, but does anyone have any personal examples? I lost a significant amount of weight in the past year, as well as putting on some muscle mass. My body changes have seemed so slow down, so I think I'm ready to get my first made to measure suit, but I worry about outgrowing the shoulders. Any advice would be appreciated.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How much does jacket size, particularly shoulder measurements, change with weightlifting. This is obviously too vague to give a real answer, but does anyone have any personal examples? I lost a significant amount of weight in the past year, as well as putting on some muscle mass. My body changes have seemed so slow down, so I think I'm ready to get my first made to measure suit, but I worry about outgrowing the shoulders. Any advice would be appreciated.

You will likely outgrow the chest in the suit before the shoulders.

yomali

Reaction score
"You will likely outgrow the chest in the suit before the shoulders."

Would it be foolish to add an inch to my chest measurements? As it's my first made-to-measure, I'm accepting that it won't be perfect, but I'd like for it to last me through my first major post-college interviews for teaching positions, along with a few months I'll need to save up for a second suit.

Thank you for your input, Patrick.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In all honesty I would get to the physique you are happy with before getting the suit. If you put on a lot of muscle in the shoulders arms and chest it will likely not be something that can be altered. Plus, there is no point in getting a MTM suit if you are getting it made to a body type that you "think" you will achieve. I think you will save money and be happier if you get the suit made for the body type that you have an are comfortable with.

I am sure you know that everybody gains muscle a bit differently, but you might want to PM Newyorkranger, who had to get several bespoke suits altered after lifting weights.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"You will likely outgrow the chest in the suit before the shoulders."

Would it be foolish to add an inch to my chest measurements? As it's my first made-to-measure, I'm accepting that it won't be perfect, but I'd like for it to last me through my first major post-college interviews for teaching positions, along with a few months I'll need to save up for a second suit.

Thank you for your input, Patrick.

Your intentions may not be the same as reality with regard to lifting and gaining muscle mass. I would buy a suit that fits you now rather than buying a suit that is too big and hoping you grow into it. Plus, there is the issue that you cannot accurately predict how your dimensions will change with additional muscle mass. If you have to buy a MTM suit now, perhaps you can request additional fabric at the seams to let it out if you do indeed add significant mass.

Reaction score
Tried searching for an answer but I could not. I am leaving the military soon and and in anticipation for that I have spent the past two years slowly building up my professional wardrobe. I'm at a point where I have a several well fitting suits, plenty of OCBDs, ties, and all the other various acoutrements (sp?) of a professional gentleman. I've got a clothing allowance coming up and since I won't be needing to purchase any more uniform supplies I decided to use at least part of it (a few hundred dollars) towards something unique for my professional wear. What I've settled on (or hope to settle on) is the Allen Edmonds Dalton boot ( http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF0111_1_40000000001_-1 ). I suppose my question is, is this an appropriate piece of footwear to wear in an environment where a suit and tie is the daily wear?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Waistcoat, I don't think that boot is horrible in a roation of many shoes, but it is rather casual, also the lighter color isn't really all that suitable for a conservative workplace. I would start with something like the 5th, or Park ave. Also, you should really have 2-3 pairs of shoes to rotate for longevity.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried searching for an answer but I could not. I am leaving the military soon and and in anticipation for that I have spent the past two years slowly building up my professional wardrobe. I'm at a point where I have a several well fitting suits, plenty of OCBDs, ties, and all the other various acoutrements (sp?) of a professional gentleman. I've got a clothing allowance coming up and since I won't be needing to purchase any more uniform supplies I decided to use at least part of it (a few hundred dollars) towards something unique for my professional wear. What I've settled on (or hope to settle on) is the Allen Edmonds Dalton boot ( http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF0111_1_40000000001_-1 ). I suppose my question is, is this an appropriate piece of footwear to wear in an environment where a suit and tie is the daily wear?
Someone in another thread mentioned something about a military discount from Allen Edmonds. It is something to ask them anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads