1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. frankie lee

frankie lee Active Member

2. Archivist

Archivist Senior Member

3. Citan1145

Citan1145 Distinguished Member

4. sammymvpknight

sammymvpknight Member

I wear a 9.5E in AE Strands, what size would I wear in AE New Orleans?

5. oisin

oisin Senior Member

i am in the market for a nice staple navy suit. i live in los angeles. i'm 6'5", about 180-185, and I generally take something in the realm of a 38L (~17.5" shoulders, 32 waist). Not sure where to shop. I'd like to keep it around $1,000 tops, maybe a bit more for something really good. What stores might have good suits that will actually fit (it can be hard finding a 38L). MTM or bespoke? If so from where / whom?

6. Van Veen

Van Veen Distinguished Member

Am I wrong or do none of the jackets here fit the models properly?

7. Citan1145

Citan1145 Distinguished Member

^ HF is a brand that is mostly cut for individuals who are not exactly athletic or slim. The models, for the most part, are, so that is why it probably looks odd.

8. M94a

M94a New Member

Hi, I am 18 years old an am looking to get away from the torn up jeans and T shirt look. My friend gave me a grey and a navy blue blazer (the grey one looks more casual) I have a couple of dark grey jeans and a few dark blue jeans (all newish without any tears or fading). I was wondering if this combination would look alright together as a more casual look like going to school or out to the store. I just really want to be able to make all of this work without looking off.

9. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Senior Member

I am looking for the most informative posts on this forum, such as the "Practical Thoughts on Coherent Combinations for Beginners".
    Could you indicate some that you endorse? Thanks in advance.

10. doughboysc

doughboysc Senior Member

I've got some questions.

1.)Had you ever traveled to places like New York, Los Angeles, Paris, or London to shop for clothing like suits/sportcoats, dress shirts, and neckties (both off the rack aka over-the-peg or bespoke/MTM)?

2.)If you bought a Bespoke/MTM suit/sportcoat, or trousers from either London, New York (like from Barneys to Bergdorf Goodman to J. Press to Paul Stuart and to Brooks Brothers), or Paris, and it arrives in the mail, and it doesn't fit well, would I send it back, or be out of luck? Or the better thought is to shop locally like in your hometown for MTM/Bespoke suits, sportcoats/blazers, and trousers?

3.)Which high-end Bespoke dress shirt brands do you prefer and look so very elegant? Brooks Brothers (USA), Turnbull & Asser (UK), or Charvet (France)?

4.)If I shop for MTM suits or sportcoats/blazers in my town, David Lindsey Clothier's carries MTM brands (from budget to high end) like Graham and Gunn, Hickey Freeman, Southwick, Samuelsohn, or Oxxford?

11. E TF

E TF Senior Member

The A&S expatriates thread is good.

So is the NSM one.

12. E TF

E TF Senior Member

Sounds fine.

13. E TF

E TF Senior Member

1) I wouldn't travel just to go shopping but if I'm there anyway...

2) The process is more involved than that and will involve more than one visit. If they send you the finished garment in the post and it still doesn't fit it's perfectly reasonable to send it back to be fixed. If you can't commit to multiple visits, go local.

3) None of those three do it for me.

4) This is not a question.

14. CalTex

CalTex Distinguished Member

limited budget will vary per individual, range please.

I wore jeans to class when I was in primary; after this stage we were only allowed to wear slacks, yellow oxford, and a vest with the schools patch. :plain: High school was a blessing, khakis and polos. :)

In my opinion I would not consider jeans fashionable or preppy, but what do I know. I suggest you take measurements of yourself and look for a pair of denim based on that. Fit is key, once you figure what dimensions you require in jeans you can start looking. Take a look at Naked and Famous, and Momotaro, I am very happy with the quality from both companies. But that is only if you want to deal with Raw denim.

I thought BB was looked down upon on teh forvm?

I started with BB and Jos. A. Bank when I was younger., but I feel that their quality does not justify the price, on some of their items.

Please avoid buying clothes based on one recommendation from a friend, it will only lead to disappointment and misallocated funds. I speak from experience. You might want to do a bit of reading on the forum before you make a decision, a few people may give you ideas but you can learn more and save yourself time in the future by learning about the different materials and construction of certain items.

The fit of your suite is just as, if not more, important than the materials from which it is made. Begin searching for a tailor and establish a rapport with them. My tailor has saved me on more than one occasion when I needed an item altered 2 hours before an event. You may be able to salvage some of the items already in your closet and if you find something you really like but is loose...you see where I am going :)

Browse through the MC WAYWT (what are you wearing today, in mens clothing) to gather ideas and then begin your search.

Well that is my advice, I hope it is of some use to you.

:uhoh:

1. no, I can buy most of what I am looking for online. I can't afford bespoke yet.

2. Bergdorf Goodman and Neimans the same company, right? I have only dealt with Neimans, Saks, Nordstrom, and Barney's; Neimans has great customer service and if something does not fit you can send it back even after you wear it. I would suggest making sure this policy applies with their MTM clothes as well before purchasing.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

15. doughboysc

doughboysc Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about the picture being dark.

Now I lost 35 lbs altogether (I'm not 332 lbs.) And what colors of suits, sportcoats/blazers, dress shirts, neckties, trousers, and casual wear would I good in?
    Would a longer collar length or shorter collar length for a dress shirt look good on me? Even narrow or wide necktie? Plus besides solids and small stripes, would bold Stripes, checks, plaids be okay?

BTW, Do you think I looked like ex-GMA host David Hartman?