• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oisin

Reaction score
i am in the market for a nice staple navy suit. i live in los angeles. i'm 6'5", about 180-185, and I generally take something in the realm of a 38L (~17.5" shoulders, 32 waist). Not sure where to shop. I'd like to keep it around $1,000 tops, maybe a bit more for something really good. What stores might have good suits that will actually fit (it can be hard finding a 38L). MTM or bespoke? If so from where / whom?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Am I wrong or do none of the jackets here fit the models properly?

M94a

Reaction score
Hi, I am 18 years old an am looking to get away from the torn up jeans and T shirt look. My friend gave me a grey and a navy blue blazer (the grey one looks more casual) I have a couple of dark grey jeans and a few dark blue jeans (all newish without any tears or fading). I was wondering if this combination would look alright together as a more casual look like going to school or out to the store. I just really want to be able to make all of this work without looking off.

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
I am looking for the most informative posts on this forum, such as the "Practical Thoughts on Coherent Combinations for Beginners".
Could you indicate some that you endorse? Thanks in advance.

doughboysc

Reaction score
I've got some questions.

1.)Had you ever traveled to places like New York, Los Angeles, Paris, or London to shop for clothing like suits/sportcoats, dress shirts, and neckties (both off the rack aka over-the-peg or bespoke/MTM)?

2.)If you bought a Bespoke/MTM suit/sportcoat, or trousers from either London, New York (like from Barneys to Bergdorf Goodman to J. Press to Paul Stuart and to Brooks Brothers), or Paris, and it arrives in the mail, and it doesn't fit well, would I send it back, or be out of luck? Or the better thought is to shop locally like in your hometown for MTM/Bespoke suits, sportcoats/blazers, and trousers?

3.)Which high-end Bespoke dress shirt brands do you prefer and look so very elegant? Brooks Brothers (USA), Turnbull & Asser (UK), or Charvet (France)?

4.)If I shop for MTM suits or sportcoats/blazers in my town, David Lindsey Clothier's carries MTM brands (from budget to high end) like Graham and Gunn, Hickey Freeman, Southwick, Samuelsohn, or Oxxford?

E TF

Reaction score

Hi, I am 18 years old an am looking to get away from the torn up jeans and T shirt look. My friend gave me a grey and a navy blue blazer (the grey one looks more casual) I have a couple of dark grey jeans and a few dark blue jeans (all newish without any tears or fading). I was wondering if this combination would look alright together as a more casual look like going to school or out to the store. I just really want to be able to make all of this work without looking off. 

Sounds fine.

E TF

Reaction score

I've got some questions.

1.)Had you ever traveled to places like New York, Los Angeles, Paris, or London to shop for clothing like suits/sportcoats, dress shirts, and neckties (both off the rack aka over-the-peg or bespoke/MTM)?

2.)If you bought a Bespoke/MTM suit/sportcoat, or trousers from either London, New York (like from Barneys to Bergdorf Goodman to J. Press to Paul Stuart and to Brooks Brothers), or Paris, and it arrives in the mail, and it doesn't fit well, would I send it back, or be out of luck? Or the better thought is to shop locally like in your hometown for MTM/Bespoke suits, sportcoats/blazers, and trousers?

3.)Which high-end Bespoke dress shirt brands do you prefer and look so very elegant? Brooks Brothers (USA), Turnbull & Asser (UK), or Charvet (France)?

4.)If I shop for MTM suits or sportcoats/blazers in my town, David Lindsey Clothier's carries MTM brands (from budget to high end) like Graham and Gunn, Hickey Freeman, Southwick, Samuelsohn, or Oxxford?

1) I wouldn't travel just to go shopping but if I'm there anyway...

2) The process is more involved than that and will involve more than one visit. If they send you the finished garment in the post and it still doesn't fit it's perfectly reasonable to send it back to be fixed. If you can't commit to multiple visits, go local.

3) None of those three do it for me.

4) This is not a question.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just started working out of college and I'm trying to build a business casual wardrobe without paying too much.  I've bought some Charles Tyrwhitt shirts and think they look and fit nice.  Now, I want to start upgrading my pants and shoes.  Any suggestions keeping in my mind my budget is limited?  

limited budget will vary per individual, range please.

So I would probably considered myself a new england preppy. I'm the kind of guy that enjoys the golf and tennis clubs on the weekend, wears a lot of button downs, pastels, loafers, boat shoes, etc. I've always felt that jeans would give me an unwanted rough and tough style that I didn't enjoy, but more and more people have been telling me that jeans, worn properly, can be a fashionable and often preppy addition to a wardrobe. I was wondering what are some of the more casual jeans that I might be interested in? I might mention that I've never worn a pair of jeans.
Thanks

I usually don't comment too harshly but, how is this possible? I mean, not even as a teen? Were you in a prep school I am guessing? Totally different world than me :)

I wore jeans to class when I was in primary; after this stage we were only allowed to wear slacks, yellow oxford, and a vest with the schools patch. :plain: High school was a blessing, khakis and polos. :)

In my opinion I would not consider jeans fashionable or preppy, but what do I know. I suggest you take measurements of yourself and look for a pair of denim based on that. Fit is key, once you figure what dimensions you require in jeans you can start looking. Take a look at Naked and Famous, and Momotaro, I am very happy with the quality from both companies. But that is only if you want to deal with Raw denim.

Brooks brothers has a great sale right now on staple items such as this. 40% off if you buy 4 or more.

I thought BB was looked down upon on teh forvm?

I started with BB and Jos. A. Bank when I was younger., but I feel that their quality does not justify the price, on some of their items.

Hi,

I'm 23 y/o and just graduated so I decided to buy 2 suits for interviews and expect to buy 2 others when I get a job to wear on a daily basis.
A friend told me to go to Moss so I went yesterday and bough 2 Blazer suits (moss brand) for £350 (100%wool). Anyone knows how good is the quality and if it's worse the money
Finally, I don't know which kind of wool is it. How can you know? I want to make sure I bought the light & breathable type of wool because I tend to get hot/sweaty quite easily.
Thanks for any help. Tc

Please avoid buying clothes based on one recommendation from a friend, it will only lead to disappointment and misallocated funds. I speak from experience. You might want to do a bit of reading on the forum before you make a decision, a few people may give you ideas but you can learn more and save yourself time in the future by learning about the different materials and construction of certain items.

The fit of your suite is just as, if not more, important than the materials from which it is made. Begin searching for a tailor and establish a rapport with them. My tailor has saved me on more than one occasion when I needed an item altered 2 hours before an event. You may be able to salvage some of the items already in your closet and if you find something you really like but is loose...you see where I am going :)

Browse through the MC WAYWT (what are you wearing today, in mens clothing) to gather ideas and then begin your search.

Well that is my advice, I hope it is of some use to you.

Am I wrong or do none of the jackets here fit the models properly?

:uhoh:

I've got some questions.

1. no, I can buy most of what I am looking for online. I can't afford bespoke yet.

2. Bergdorf Goodman and Neimans the same company, right? I have only dealt with Neimans, Saks, Nordstrom, and Barney's; Neimans has great customer service and if something does not fit you can send it back even after you wear it. I would suggest making sure this policy applies with their MTM clothes as well before purchasing.

Last edited:

doughboysc

Reaction score

Sorry about the picture being dark.

Now I lost 35 lbs altogether (I'm not 332 lbs.) And what colors of suits, sportcoats/blazers, dress shirts, neckties, trousers, and casual wear would I good in?
Would a longer collar length or shorter collar length for a dress shirt look good on me? Even narrow or wide necktie? Plus besides solids and small stripes, would bold Stripes, checks, plaids be okay?

BTW, Do you think I looked like ex-GMA host David Hartman?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads