1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

Lower price and/or higher quality
    Just looking for other options because I haven't looked around much
    I don't even know who sells valet boxes

2. VAMC

VAMC Member

I am a size 9, how do I know how to pick the size that will fit me best?

3. WetMacula

WetMacula New Member

New to the forum. Decided I want a nice pair of leather oxford shoes. Always worn shit dress shoes and hiking boots so I'm new to this. Tried a few pairs of Park Avenues on and the closest size is 9 EE (US). My heels move about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch when I walk, otherwise it's pretty snug. Is this normal?

I have my heart set on a pair of benchmade GG shoes (they look stunning compared to AE) but the closet brick and mortar is Leffots which is a 4 hour drive. Are there any online dealers that will let me return or exchange a pair if the fit is not right? What size should I pick? My feet are wide. How much does is cost for a resole? $1300 to $1500 is a lot to drop on shoes. I'm not wealthy but don't mind spending money on something if I use it daily. The fit would have to be perfect though.

4. eqcitizen

eqcitizen Well-Known Member

Size 9 in what? Shoes? Socks? Women's Dresses?

5. Donm77

Donm77 New Member

Need advice on party attire...

My Gf's surprise 50th party is coming up in 10 days. Her daughter has set an animal theme to the party. She wants everyone to attend to wear something animal print ect...my gf chose a dress with zebra print, so I purchased a matching tie. The men were advised to wear suits, however I don't think I want to wear a full suit so I'm thinking about going with a pair of nice denim jeans and a sport coat.

My problem is tying this all tog in terms of shoes(color), jeans(brand and color)and of course what color dress shirt and coat to go with all this. Any advice would be great...thanks!

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Obviously this one.

1 person likes this.
  7. tommygunn1986

tommygunn1986 Member

I just got a black suit. I already had a black vest. The vest is the same shade of black but it is a different texture. You can tell if you are up close. I can't wear this as a 3 piece suit, can I? Shopping online is difficult.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

I'd go with a size 9.

9. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Presumably, a size 6, worn upside down, would also work.

3 people like this.
  10. dgsdm

dgsdm Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

A friend of mine has his birthday coming up soon and I'm looking to spend with a budget of $100, preferably around $50. I wanted to buy him something menswear related like a tie or a dress shirt. Any suggestions/recommendations? Nothing particular in mind, I'd just like the present to be some kind of quality classic menswear.

He's not exactly the most fashionable person so I'd like to introduce him to some good stuff.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  11. Youngj

Youngj Well-Known Member

<budget>
    Is this brown dark enough
    [​IMG]
    For this navy (will be altered of course)
    [​IMG]
    ??
    </budget>

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Context? Is this part of a suit, with an odd jacket, or with a sweater?

13. jakeypotato

jakeypotato Senior member

What are the three most essential basic shirts?
    I only have a blue oxford button down right now. What other shirts are super essential? I have ~$150 to spend total, so I am looking for cheap shirts.
    Thanks!

14. jhwendland

jhwendland Senior member

Any suggestions on shorts for spring and summer? A few parameters: slim fit, inconspicuous color, inseam between seven and nine inches. Also, I'd rather not spend more than $80 on a single pair.

15. Youngj

Youngj Well-Known Member

Sorry, just a shirt and sometimes a sweater

16. sinfjotli

sinfjotli Senior member

Definitely white and light blue broadcloth to wear with tie, and then your blue OCBD for more casual use. Check Charles Tyrwhitt (www.ctshirts.co.uk) or TM Lewin (www.tmlewin.com) for cheaper shirts, or Brooks Brothers on sale.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. anais anais

anais anais New Member

Hi! I am looking to put together a good capsule wardrobe for my husband who has just lost 14kgs. Would like to include business wear, a good suit, formal shoes, a sport coat and some shirt alternatives - all preferably made to measure. Am I missing anything? Can a kind soul point me to relevant threads that give info on brands, people and places to go? TIA!

18. sinfjotli

sinfjotli Senior member

19. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yes, those shoes are fine for that.

1 person likes this.
  20. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Get 2x solid light blue, 1x solid white. All broadcloth/poplin, button cuff, with non-buttondown collar (e.g. medium spread).

1 person likes this.