• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a question

I'm about to graduate college and start a new job in banking where I'll be wearing a suit to work everyday.  What's the best way to buy a couple new suits?  I don't need anything top of the line, but I don't want a suit that makes me look like the proverbial used car salesman and will fall apart after 6 months.  Should I just go to a department store and check what they have on sale? 

Jos A Banks and others like it seem like they have "Today Only! Buy one suit get 2 months of our inventory free!" perpetually.  Are these suits any good or just really really cheap? What a reasonable price to spend?  Should I stick with a designer suit- is teh extra cost justified?? Once again, I'm just out of college, have never bought a suit before and have no knowledge at all pertaining to the area.   

You need to browse the forum more. This is not a "quick question". You may want to check out Benjamin suits at ehaberdasher.com. Bank's are cheap for a reason.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a question

I'm about to graduate college and start a new job in banking where I'll be wearing a suit to work everyday.  What's the best way to buy a couple new suits?  I don't need anything top of the line, but I don't want a suit that makes me look like the proverbial used car salesman and will fall apart after 6 months.  Should I just go to a department store and check what they have on sale? 

Jos A Banks and others like it seem like they have "Today Only! Buy one suit get 2 months of our inventory free!" perpetually.  Are these suits any good or just really really cheap? What a reasonable price to spend?  Should I stick with a designer suit- is teh extra cost justified?? Once again, I'm just out of college, have never bought a suit before and have no knowledge at all pertaining to the area.   

Suit Supply seems to be a popular suggestion to this question, as well as BB, and of course B&S forum.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyplace in NYC to get the edges of my pocket square rolled and finished?

I can't offer a specific recommendation, but I know that the place I used to go to for basic suit alterations (not in NYC) would also turn the odd square of fabric into a pocket square, for a price, of course. So although I've never needed this service, I would think that it's something your tailor might well be able to handle.
--
Michael

deja

Reaction score
does anyone have any experience with the Cole Haan Shoes, Air Kilgore Plain Toe Oxfords? I was going to buy this one cause it looked nice and had good reviews on macy's, but then I went to zappos and it had 2 bad reviews about the poor quality of this shoes =/ My 2nd option is Calvin Klein Shoes, Gareth 2... looks about the same as cole haan and about the same price, what do you guys think?

TuckerSon

Reaction score
What can I do to prevent that I'm sweating through my dress shirts? I always wear an undershirt but on light colored shirt that just doesn't help enough.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

does anyone have any experience with the Cole Haan Shoes, Air Kilgore Plain Toe Oxfords? I was going to buy this one cause it looked nice and had good reviews on macy's, but then I went to zappos and it had 2 bad reviews about the poor quality of this shoes =/ My 2nd option is Calvin Klein Shoes, Gareth 2... looks about the same as cole haan and about the same price, what do you guys think?

If you must pick between two evils, pick the lesser of the two. Cole Haan...

reidrothchild

Reaction score

I've got a pair of Cole Haan wingtips from a few years back (pre-SF). They're not the worst shoes I've ever owned. Not bad for glued, corrected grain shoes. As far as low-end shoe makers go, I'd put Cole Haan above Johnston & Murphy, way above Florsheim, but below To Boot NY. No experience with CK shoes. I would probably never buy Cole Haan again at any price and would advise against paying over $100 for them.

deja

Reaction score
damn 2 answers 2 different opinions =/ lol and I didn't know $300 shoes (ex. To Boot NY) are considered low end by you guys lol jesus what hell do you guys do and how much do you guys make! hhaha

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What can I do to prevent that I'm sweating through my dress shirts? I always wear an undershirt but on light colored shirt that just doesn't help enough.

Sweat less. Heavy duty antiperspirants, lose weight, cut down on caffeine intake...

likeaboss

Reaction score
What are the significant differences between the Clarks Desert Boot and the Clarks Original Desert Boot? My local store only has the originals.

AML225

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for some good slim fit dress pants/slacks that I can get in multiple colors. I'd prefer pants that I can get in my correct size without needing them altered. I'm typically like a 33/34 waist and a 29 length. Another member here (herrmj) suggest I try Epaulet's slim walt trousers: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-Mens-Clothing-cln-Trousers/Categories. Those seem really great but they only appear to come in a 34" inseam and are a little bit more than I'd like to spend at this point, especially since I'd need to have the length altered. I'm especially interested in lighter gray. I have at least one pair of the standards (black/navy/charcoal) that fit well.

deja

Reaction score
Welcome to SF...
smile.gif

lol my main concern is the review on zappa said that "the leather scuffed easily and thin, top shiny layer comes off with the slightest brush up against something rough", another one said "pealed after 2-3 casual wears"... so I just want to know if this is normal? its nappa leather if that makes any difference... to be honest i don't know anything about leather and dress shoes... that's why the 2 different answers by you guys just confused me even more! haha
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads