Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. likeaboss

likeaboss Well-Known Member

Can anyone answer this? I suspect it got overlooked.

2. Hordie

Hordie Member

Hello gentlemen,

I guess this question is a bit better suited for the Men's Clothing.

I'm looking for a nice casusal spring/summer sports coat that'll go with most of the pants I'm wearing - grey (all shades, dark and light), black, brown chinos and dark blue jeans. A navy blazer would be to formal for my taste. I like the look of these linen coats (they're the same cut), but I just can't make up my mind about the color:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're from German designer Carl Gross/Club of Gents. I like the second one best, but I don't know if it would match darker pants.

Any help appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

3. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

The second one is actually my least favourite. I like the first. The third one's also nice but the first is more versatile.

Also, I hope that logo patch above the chest pocket is removable.

4. chillah

chillah New Member

ok I have a question for all fashion freaks and experts - does anybody have an idea where I can get this shirt?? I have been searching for a while now but I have no idea... any help would be great!! :slayer:

[​IMG]

5. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

I know it's often tempting to go for the "one item which goes with everything." But in practice, it's unlikely you'll find a single jacket which goes well with everything from jeans to chinos to light-colored trousers to dark-colored trousers. At best, it'll go well with some portion of that wide range, and maybe tolerably with most of the rest.

You'd be better off buying at least 2 sport coats. (If money is an obstacle, bear in mind that superb, previously owned sport coats, often in essentially new condition, routinely sell for pennies on the dollar.)

That having been said, while none of the 3 jackets pictured appeal to me all that much, I suppose I like the first one the best, even if it is the least spring/summery of the three.
    --
    Michael

6. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Second one is the best, and it will go with the most outfits, dark trousers, jeans, etc...

If I had to choose a sport coat for summer it would be a navy blue with golden buttons. but that's me. Goes well with white pants, jeans, dark trousers etc...

From the three the most springy one is maybe the third one for its light colors and brightness-> but its also the worst in terms of going with most things in a wardrobe.

7. Hordie

Hordie Member

Thanks for the replies, they're very helpful!

Very interesting, I though it would be the least versatile, but matching coats and pants is still some kind of mystery to me. That patch is actually a cigar pocket.

I must say, it's most important that it looks good with dark denim. I want to dress up a little bit when wearing casual clothes, and that would be jeans most of the time. What other colors might go well with the brown jacket? Maybe I should just get a navy blazer for my chinos.

There's another jacket from the same manufacturer that looks more mature (it's a tad longer, I guess) without being too formal. Yay or nay? Please, ignore that leather patch. ;)

[​IMG]

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

To be fair, you could at the very least call and complain about poor packaging. Most places put a piece of thin cardboard under the box flaps so items don't get damaged when cutting the tape.

And my question: could a long-sleeve shirt be tailored into a short sleeve shit? Obviously they can crop the sleeve down, but is the top portion of a sleeve on a long sleeve shirt cut substantially different than short sleeve shirts?

9. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Do it. Every man ought to have a navy blazer. (Ignore those who'll tell you otherwise. They're wrong.)

BTW, I haven't said anything about how much I hate the idea of wearing a jacket with a pair of jeans. I guess all those years of anger management therapy are paying off. :)
    --
    Michael

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Why would you want a short sleeved dress shirt?

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Just go with it. I don't migrate to this side of the forum often :D

Although I do think a button down collar shirt may be more appropriate... really just wanted the hidden placket aspect.

12. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

They might be wrong, or they might just not believe in "must haves"!

13. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Didn't even know there was such a thing.

14. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Where the hell can I find an unlined, un-canvassed tweed hacking jacket...

15. princetonguy16

princetonguy16 New Member

Hey, so I'm currently looking at buying some Lacoste polos online (there isn't a Lacoste store near my town). I'm about 5'9"-5'10" and pretty thin, and I have a few small RL polos that seem to kind of drape over me and seem kind of long and oversized with regard to their length. I also have broad shoulders. I was curious: what size of Lacoste would be the best fit for me? I've heard that they can be larger in the chest but smaller in length at times, so I'm trying to figure out which will be the best fit. In particular, I'm debating between an XS and a S. I don't really want it to be so small in length to the point where I am showing some skin whenever I bend over or sit down. Oh yeah, I'm also looking at the slim fit and not the classic fit. So how does the slim fit compare in considering XS v. S? I know I can always send them back if I order the wrong size, but I prefer not to have to go through the hassle. Could you guys provide some tips? Thanks in advance.