• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

jsmaria

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of grey flannel trousers to dress things up from denim, but down from dress slacks. Not a huge fan of chinos/khakis, so I thought they might help bridge that gap.
I know very little about trousers. Any recommendations on labels and/or other trouser options?

ElDave

Reaction score

AE advice needed please...

just got back my AE Black Seneca's from recrafting. Man these look good. As i was showing someone here at work the "new shoe", I noticed that there was a gap between the heel and the sole.

Is this an easy fix? glue possibly? or is something serious enough that i should contact AE and possibly send back because it'll be a bigger issue down the road?

I just returned a pair for this same issue over lunch. Apparently they have had a lot of this issue lately.

Edit: Yes, I would suggest sending them back. I walked in with a pair that had the same problem, showed the employee, and he swapped them out for a new pair without any questions asked. I was prepared for a battle and was out of the store in under five minutes (that included time spent browsing). I would think this is worth sending back if only for cosmetic reasons (thought there are likely structural issues as well).

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I'm looking for a pair of grey flannel trousers to dress things up from denim, but down from dress slacks. Not a huge fan of chinos/khakis, so I thought they might help bridge that gap.
I know very little about trousers. Any recommendations on labels and/or other trouser options?

If you've got the money to spend go Incotex, Zanella, Ovadia and Sons or Howard Yount.

If you don't have the money to spend hit up B&S or try PRL or J Crew.

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And the pic:

nivenbeaton.jpg

Thank you very very much NOBD!!

trash

Reaction score
I just got a new "property of..." waxed cotton bag and it has a musty sort of smell. is this typical with waxed cotton? I found something on google mentioning some waxed cotton smells because of a linseed oil treatment, but I have no idea how linseed oil smells. is there any way to know if this is just "new bag smell" or if it came from a flooded warehouse? if the former, is there a good way to get the smell out?

zerostyle

Reaction score

Was also wondering about this... what pants do people like for casual wear outside of jeans? I feel odd wearing my grey dress pants out to bars/etc.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Was also wondering about this... what pants do people like for casual wear outside of jeans? I feel odd wearing my grey dress pants out to bars/etc.

Cords, Moleskin, Poplin, Linen, Wool... You can find solid casual pants in all of those materials, though bear in mind that the more casual you try and get the closer you'll inevitably get to chinos.

Doggonit

Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first suit. I would like it to be a classic (and practical) midnight blue (call it navy if you wish) two-button. Austin Reed are doing made to measure suits from 8-9 oz. wool from English mills for £299. Is that good bang for the buck or should I seek out something elsewhere? And if so, where?

JMSBNSN

Reaction score

Does anyone know where I can buy a floppy hat for cheap like Mr. Rabensteiner here? I want to wear a hat like this if I get caught in the blazing sun. Thanks in advance.

dirtrider123

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get the exact hardware that Ambrosi uses for their side adjusters (i.e. the metal adjuster component)? [ATTACHMENT=450]sideadjuster.jpg (23k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=451]ambrosiside.jpg (100k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello,

I have the following shirt in a navy/blue check pattern: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_229048

Can I wear the above shirt with a navy/red striped tie under a charcoal sweater vest with khakis? I also have a gold tie with small white diamonds, would that tie work as well?

Thanks,
gmu85
Either would work, though I would probably prefer the red/blue, since I'm not usually one for gold ties (love it as an accent though). But the first really sounds like a great combination.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads