1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

It should be somewhat related to the width of the lapels.

2. southside jim

southside jim New Member

I think it really just depends on the person's taste. I have relatively broad shoulders and still prefer thin ties. All depends on what you like!

3. southside jim

southside jim New Member

I think it really just depends on your particular taste. I have relatively broad shoulders, but I still like to stick with thin ties. All up to what you like!

4. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

for lack of a better way to explain it they're stepped. there's like a choke point after which they're thinner to hide better under the collar, and it would look weird if that was showing.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ahh, I get you. I don't own any knit ties personally, but friends of mine with them have complained about them stretching to the point of unwearable. Maybe yours can stretch to the point of wearable?

6. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

1.) Is it possible for a tailor to make a 3 button suit as a 2 button? I have a 3 button suit but I'm "only" 6'0" so I dont want to wear it. However if it is possible for a tailor to make it into a 2 button suit then that would work as I don't want to spend $600+.

2.) Can I take my Brooks Brothers chinos and shirts to get tailored (possibly for free?) that I bought in December? Do I need to show a receipt or something?

3) How many times do you wear an item before washing it for the first time so you can then take it to the tailor? I want to get my BB chinos hemmed and BB shirts tailored but I have worn each item no more than once. Will they get ruined in the wash?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  7. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

trying. does not seem to be working. I'm seriously thinking they were either designed specifically for hipsters or children (not that there's a huge difference, as both demographics enjoy things that are incredibly annoying, wear things that don't fit, and shouldn't be allowed to dress themselves)

8. teacher2

teacher2 Well-Known Member

RE: shirts, thanks heaps. If I feel like I don't have enough, I can always go out and get some more :)

9. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

+1 on all of the above.

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

it's not actually a square yard in my experience... most typical bolts of fabric are 150 cm or 60 inches. A yard and a meter are close so it is the weight of the fabric measured at 1 yard x 60" with general weights being 8-10oz as "light" or tropical, 10-12/13oz as "medium" or 3 season, and 14oz on up into heavy tweeds as winter weight. This is not the same, however, and the "fineness" of the fabric being Super 100s, 120s etc.

11. emc894

emc894 Senior member

12. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Looks fine.

13. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

shit. Thanks for correcting me.

14. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

Length fine, back waist should take in, back upper body extra fabric should take in. Sleeve length good.

overall it looks pretty good consider it's unaltered.

15. Gerry

Gerry Senior member

Do any of you guys have C&J shoes based on both the 337 and 325 lasts. My Belgraves(337) 7.5E UK fit well and am wondering should I stick with 7.5E UK fot the 325.
    Thanks.

16. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I've got the Weymouth on the 337 and the Pembroke on the 325 - both in 9.5E UK. The Pembroke feels slightly roomier but then again, I'm comparing an oxford to a derby/blucher so it may not apply to you.

17. emc894

emc894 Senior member

18. Gerry

Gerry Senior member

Thanks Gerry. It's the coniston boot(325) I'm after. I suspect the same size as the 337 will be a good fit but I'm not certain as I had heard the 325 was a tad wider if not longer. I already got stuck with the Coniston in size 8E UK which were too big esp across the vamp so I needed some pointers on the 7.5E before I go ahead.

19. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Thanks to both of you

20. cliche

cliche Senior member

I usually just wear Eton shirts that i'm happy with. But how is the quality of Eton shirts compare to Borrelli, Truzzi, Loro Piana and all other italian high quality shirts.

Maybe I should start invest on the italian brands instead...?

Help :)!

Thanks

/ C