• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timmbo
wdywt.jpg

got an interview for an internship at a headhunting company in a few days, is this too plain?

colours are a bit off in the picture; the suit is navy and the tie is a bit darker irl.

Don't worry about being too plain. Except for very few jobs (like fashion related ones), what you don't want is attention to be drawn toward your attire. So, for interview, plain is good.

Originally Posted by feastmaster
Not sure if Paul Smith belongs on the Men's Clothing side, but is $267 a good price for a pair of his shoes? I don't remember in they are cap toe or more of a wing tip. Does anyone think I can get them cheaper? They're at my local Bloomingdales.

Paul Smith has some shoes made by Crockett & jones, those are nice, and $267 is reasonable. Paul Smith made in Italy however, is fashion forward, so $267 is fine if you really want them now, but in general you can do better.

LJubel328

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
That depends on your size and what you want made. I wear a 44R and my tailor said I needed 4 yards for a single breasted suit

I am 5'8'' and typically wear a 38R

Lafcadio

Reaction score
Should I buy these C&J Cavendish tassel loafers for £18 ?

They have a peculiar mottled appearance, unexplained by seller, who thinks this is intentional and likes them like this.

I am confused and although they are cheap ( he reduced them twice) worried that they might be in fact buggered, or the leather corrupted in some way.

I quite like the look but it's not really smart.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CROCKETT-AND-J...item1c1c43093f

Advice please. Ends in ca. 24 hours.

Fit should be fine although never bought C&J before. I'm a UK9.5 in Cheaney & Church, and UK10 or EU44 in Vass, bought on eBay last year.

Timmbo

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. The suit is OTR from TM Lewin, very happy with the quality and fit for the price... thoughts?
suit.jpg
Ignore the shoes, just wanted to see what it would look like with brown. Have some black Church's oxfords for the big day.

PS192

Reaction score
Hi all, first post so please go easy...
blush.gif

I've got a prom coming up and already own a few suits but was planning on getting another for the prom in a couple of weeks time. I was thinking of going with the grey trouser/blue jacket combination and need some advice. Bearing in mind I'm on a budget as an 18 year old student I've found these jackets and trousers and wanted to know what combination you thought worked best?

This jacket: http://www.asos.com/ASOS-Slim-Fit-Bl...rt=-1&clr=Blue

with these trousers: http://www.asos.com/ASOS-Slim-Check-...rt=-1&clr=Grey

There are other blue/grey combinations on there, including this jacket: http://www.asos.com/ASOS-Slim-Fit-Da...rt=-1&clr=Navy

and these trousers: http://www.asos.com/ASOS-Slim-Fit-Li...clr=Light+Grey

I realise this post is quite long for a 'quick question' but I thought I'd be more likely to get a reply than if I was to start a new thread. Oh, and if it's any help I'm planning on wearing some brown Oxford shoes with these. Help please?
smile.gif

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timmbo
wdywt.jpg

got an interview for an internship at a headhunting company in a few days, is this too plain?

colours are a bit off in the picture; the suit is navy and the tie is a bit darker irl.

Suit and tie are smashing however, not a fan of the french cuffs though. IMO they are too formal for an interview. Are you concerened about looking better than the person who will be interviewing you?

feastmaster

Reaction score
Thanks, Onix. They are made in Italy. The shoes are more on the casual side. I'm deciding between the Paul Smith's or a pair of dirty bucks

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pellle
Can someone tell me what is the situation with Malford of London? The site is closed and I can't access his thread here. I ordered a suit from him and he sent the wrong size, but now won't answed to my message.. I would just like to change it.

Pelle please check your PM

Ag229487

Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion for a navy blue summer sport coat. Cotton wool or silk blend? (Not brooks bros)

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LJubel328
I am 5'8'' and typically wear a 38R

I would say for a 2 piece SB suit at least 3 yards and maybe more in case of errors. But I would check with the tailor just in case.

Lazytiki

Reaction score
What does the H mean on J Crew neck sizes? For example 15H 34 sleeve. Does it mean Half? Why can't they just put 15 1/2.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur