• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm 5'8", 130 lbs, 28" waist...thing legs. Though somewhat broader upper body but require slim-fitting. I believe I am currently a 36S and looking for a light gray or charcoal in an all season weight, formal and business work appropriate. preferably a shade of gray that would be appropriate to be worn with both brown and black shoes. would someone be kind enough to provide me one or two recommendations on what is a slim-fitting suit (manufacturer, or manufacturer and model/style) that is two criteria in addition to slim -- A: accessible/available, whether it be easily online, or saks, bloomingdales, etc. (I'd like to find something outside of Saks type stuff like boss, zegna (though i do like zegna suits), theory, etc. which I guess is why I am making this inquiry to begin with..) & B: Under 1K. I know this is a broad request but maybe there is someone out there with similar dimensions in the same boat. thanks
redface.gif

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k1d.
I'm looking to start up a decent wardrobe for a college student for when I need to dress up for occasions.. Currently I have... A black TaT suit anddddd thats it. I'm looking to add another suit to the collection.. what color would benefit me most? Khaki/Charcoal/Grey?
Blue, then charcoal. Later, light or medium gray, or a PoW(Glen) plaid.
As for dress shirts.. I currently only have one white shirt.. what other variations do you guys suggest?
At least one more white. Light blue, you can never have enough light blue shirts. One light pink shirt. Stripes, thin or thick, in blue and some kind or red/burgundy/pink.
I have no dress shoes at all.. looking to get a black and brown pair.. do you guys have any suggestions for brand and models?
Budget? As a college student, probably not high? Allen Edmonds, or Alden. If you can swing it, Crockett and Jones or Alfred Sargent. If you by some chance have some money to burn, Edward Green or John Lobb Paris. Start with a black cap toe oxford. Don't let the brown shoe crowd sway you , this is a must to anchor the collection. Then a brown or black wingtip. Then a burgundy cap toe, or brown brogued cap toe. Shoe trees are not optional. Get a pair for each pair of shoes you purchase.
I would love to also grow my sock + tie collection.. and certain brands and colorways/designs you guys think are essential?
Look at Brooks Brothers during sales. The brooks wool OTC socks are OK. Navy and charcoal. Maybe some argyle if that works for you. Look around, find some red or burgundy as well. Brooks ties are OK, classic American standards. A navy pindot. A burgundy. A Brooks mini #1 repp or regular #1 repp stripe. Brooks #3 navy with gold stripe repp tie. An Argyle and Sutherland repp tie in green and navy. And some knit ties.

mishin900

Reaction score
Which shoes do you think look better? All black one is a Doc Martens combat boots, and the sneakers are 2011 ss Kris Van Assche nubuck high tops. Since I've been wearing combat boots all the time, the sneakers don't really look good to me. I need to hear your opinions so that I can decide whether to sell these sneakers. If anyone's interested, let me kno.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because there was a request for the before/after on my shoes

Crosby Square longwings I found at the thrift store.
before:
5490404908_7769854acd_z.jpg

5489809243_ec7f5f3070_z.jpg

after oiling and using tan cream:
5490345912_ef51c0a08f_z.jpg

5489750399_1cd2a427d3_z.jpg

5489749873_4cd3aa03c6_z.jpg

gonna wear 'em a bit and then hit 'em with cream again. they look like they still need some help.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it weird to rock a pocket square in the pocket of your sweater, rather than your coat pocket? Is it acceptable, sans jacket, to stuff a ps in a sweater pocket?

Cause, uh, you know...I just bought a sweater. *With a pocket*. Jealous? :p

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Is it weird to rock a pocket square in the pocket of your sweater, rather than your coat pocket? Is it acceptable, sans jacket, to stuff a ps in a sweater pocket?

If you have the swag to carry it off, why not ?!

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Yika
If you have the swag to carry it off, why not ?!

It is weird.

kellgy

Reaction score

I have never seen this . . . and probably for good reason.

"You can try anything once."

IsteRed

Reaction score
Any ideas for not-so-expensive seersucker jacket,classic cut no very narrow lapels etc.?

Yika

Reaction score
1st time seller on B&S, I been approached by members with regards to my wares. Some of them just registered in March 2011. Should i be worried? Any ways to protect both parties ? Any tips would be helpful !

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yika
1st time seller on B&S, I been approached by members with regards to my wares. Some of them just registered in March 2011. Should i be worried? Any ways to protect both parties ? Any tips would be helpful !
It should be fine. There are many lurkers, and they registered only when they need to buy. The majority of my items are sold to these members. - Use normal paypal payment (NOT personal payment) - Ship with tracking, preferably by printing out from PayPal. - If for any reasons you don't feel comfortable selling (unconfirmed foreign address, etc.,), politely decline.

skywalker

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea about how to look at a past season of Loro Piana stuff. I wanted to check something on a winter jacket, but only the spring/summer is available?

found the answer I was trying to use CI instead of AI.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads