• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sccoopy
I have a chance to buy one of these shoes. Allen Edmonds Tribeca and Kennet. The color of Tribeca is walnut, Kennet is dark brown. I got some stock pictures just to show their look. Which one is better for casual or business casual ?

Also, anyone familiar with the new crosstown collection that AE has. They have a low intro price of $199. Tribeca is one of them. Thanks

The split-toe (Kennet) is a more classic design and therefore more appropriate for business casual wear although still able to be dressed down. The dark brown color is probably a little more versatile than a walnut color. If it were me, I would pick a dark brown split-toe unless I already had lots of dark brown shoes.

sccoopy

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the answer. just by looking at Tribeca, I thought it is pretty dressy too.

Originally Posted by dah328
The split-toe (Kennet) is a more classic design and therefore more appropriate for business casual wear although still able to be dressed down. The dark brown color is probably a little more versatile than a walnut color. If it were me, I would pick a dark brown split-toe unless I already had lots of dark brown shoes.

gotnofashion

Reaction score
Hi all,

I don't have much experience with suits. My previous employer had no formal dress code. I am now preparing for MBA Application interviews, and am unsure if my attire is up to snuff.

I currently have a "Jones New York" Dark Blue Suit i picked up at the Men's Warehouse for an interview a couple years back. I plan on definitely buying a nice pair of shoes (black?), a nice red or blue solid color tie, and a 100% cotton shirt.

My main question is about the suit. Is that brand of high-enough quality for the interview, or should I purchase a new one? If I should replace it, what is my target price range, and where is the best place to shop for it? What brands, materials, etc?

Thanks for the help!
gotnofashion

Reaction score
How do you locate a tailor?

None in the phone book and i know no one who has any experience with one, i am likely going to have to travel, as my town is very small.

Thanks,

Scott

GloryField

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dan e gee
Gloryfield, when picking a multi coloured tie I find it easier if I follow these 2 points.
1. Choose a shirt that goes with the suit.
2. Once you've done that, pick a tie with the same colour in it as the shirt.

This usually works, as of course whatever the colour combinations in the tie, if the shirt colour is in it, it will usually match the shirt and go with the jacket.

Why not get a pale blue solid shirt and a grey solid tie?

Could you or someone else give me a list of shirt colors that go well with Charcoal Gray jacket (dark, almost black)

Doctor

Reaction score
I'd be interested in some recommendations for a shirt to go with this tie:
tie1.jpg

Murdoc

Reaction score
Hey, I'm just starting to learn about this and have a bunch of general guideline questions... is there a wiki somewhere that would have this?

1. Pretty much all my current clothing doesn't fit me properly. It's all mostly comfortable, but what are some signs that it's a good fit(not too baggy, not too tight) If guidelines depends on which artcles, lets go with Jeans, T-Shirts, Sweaters, Dress shirts, JacketS? and generally anything else that may be important.

2: I'll probablyb e doing a lot of online purchases, and they all have sizes, but is it wise to purchase something you have never tried before? I guess almost anything can be tailored? Is it uncommon to have 99% of your wardrobe tailored? Would that just suggest I made poor choices in my purchasing?

3. What's the general rule of thumb for matching different peices. Should the socks match the shirt? What, generally, should the watch match? Assuming this is colour match, pattern match? Or did I hear somewhere socks match the shoes? How should these things generally match? Again it all depends on certain peices and style choices, but there has to be a starters guide for what to look for
smile.gif

I'm sure I'll have some more or follow up questions, those are just the big ones on the top of my head.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gotnofashion
Hi all,

I don't have much experience with suits. My previous employer had no formal dress code. I am now preparing for MBA Application interviews, and am unsure if my attire is up to snuff.

I currently have a "Jones New York" Dark Blue Suit i picked up at the Men's Warehouse for an interview a couple years back. I plan on definitely buying a nice pair of shoes (black?), a nice red or blue solid color tie, and a 100% cotton shirt.

My main question is about the suit. Is that brand of high-enough quality for the interview, or should I purchase a new one? If I should replace it, what is my target price range, and where is the best place to shop for it? What brands, materials, etc?

Thanks for the help!
gotnofashion

There are tons of threads here on interview attire. Just search for "interview" in the thread title. Short answer is that your JNY suit is on the low side of the quality scale. That is almost certainly not going to matter for an interview so long as it fits you well and it not obviously in poor repair (worn or shiny patches on the fabric, etc).

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GloryField
Could you or someone else give me a list of shirt colors that go well with Charcoal Gray jacket (dark, almost black)
White, light blue, ecru, pale pink. Pretty much any color of shirt that is acceptable business attire.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scottiethebody
How do you locate a tailor?

None in the phone book and i know no one who has any experience with one, i am likely going to have to travel, as my town is very small.

Thanks,

Scott

If you know someone who wears nicely-tailored clothes, ask them where they get their tailoring done. Call the nearest men's store or department store with a men's section (Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Saks, etc) and ask them where they send their alterations.

kapay

Reaction score
Can tailors alter ties to be slimmer? It sounds like an easy enough job but would it ruin the integrity of a tie?

uzairh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kapay
Can tailors alter ties to be slimmer? It sounds like an easy enough job but would it ruin the integrity of a tie?

Yes, they can. I have had this done. The resulting tie is as good, if not better than the original.

msza

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by msza

fresh+prince.jpg

I'm seriously looking for the brand that makes jacket interiors like this. Any help? I think this is a legitimate question.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads