• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Philip

Reaction score
no one knows anything about Grenson?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no one knows anything about Grenson?

Grenson Masterpiece (mostly found as Paul Stuart Stuart's Choice) is great, comparable to C&J Handgrade, IMO. Grenson Rose is good, though I think they're discontinued. Current Grenson's are not worth it.

Philip

Reaction score

Grenson Masterpiece (mostly found as Paul Stuart Stuart's Choice) is great, comparable to C&J Handgrade, IMO. Grenson Rose is good, though I think they're discontinued. Current Grenson's are not worth it.

Thanks. Considering the price of their boots though (approx 180 GBP), could i find something of better quality at a similar price point? <300USD?

Philip

Reaction score

Have you looked at Alfred Sargent?

Yep, can't find a pebble grain black wingtip boot anywhere online in a uk9, but the only places online i know of that have AS are pediwear and shoehealer

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi,

I'm a newb, but I have been lurking for a bit.  I've been out of the "style" circuit for a while (will explain later...), but I wanted to ask a quick question:

Today, I will be heading out to do my regular thrift shop run.  Since reading around SF a bit, I've decided to expand my search list.  I will be looking at dress shirts, suits, and ties.  Aside from Brooks Brothers, J. Press, and Paul Stuart (those are what I grew up wearing), please list 3 or 4 labels I should be looking for.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated, and if I find some good stuff, I will post pics over in the thrift store bragging thread.

Thank you!

Look for quality stuff, regardless of brand name. Seriously, there are a ton of names you should be looking for, too many to list, and there are some brands that are great in some circumstances and lousy in others. The best strategy is to just find the stuff that's well made. If you shop just by brand, you miss most of the best stuff.

So what were you in for?

Last edited:

wrecked

Reaction score
Would any of you guys know of a jackets with faux fur hoods like this: http://www.abercrombie.com/webapp/w...Id=12221&topCategoryId=12202&productId=855019 or http://www.hollisterco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10201&storeId=10251&langId=-1&categoryId=88195&parentCategoryId=88195&topCategoryId=12551&productId=872667

with a plaid pattern like this: http://www.amazon.com/Burnside-Flan...r_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1320181345&sr=1-1

I don't know where I've seen something along that design before, but it's been stuck in my head for a full month now and I've been going crazy looking for something like it. I'd have just bought one of those hoodies from abercrombie and hollister if I wasn't becoming OCD about this and didn't know any better about their questionable quality.

Thanks!

wrecked

Reaction score
Do any of you know of any jackets like these: 1 2 with a plaid, red color pattern like this: 3? I must've seen it somewhere but the design idea's been stuck in my head for over a month now and I've had poor luck finding anything closer to it than these 3.

Bateman87

Reaction score
I can never really recommend blind buying anything without checking fit somewhere first. But at that price, assuming they are first quality shoes and not seconds, that is a good deal. So good luck to you friend, hope they end up working out.

It's amazon so I could return it no problem. I went into an AE yesterday, though, and found that a 9 is too big. I also found that the Kenilworths don't look as good to me in person as online.

Hmm. I'd take Cptjeff's recommendation on the MacNeils if not for the fact that the Calf leather ones only come in Walnut and Black. Walnut is too light for my tastes. The Burgandy Cordovan.. mmm... but too expensive.

Maybe I can get the Kenilworths to grow on me, as I don't really have much options - at least until there's a sale.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Can someone show me an example of a cheap/low quality leather belt back vs one that is higher quality. I'm having a lot of trouble here..

IsteRed

Reaction score
Can someone recommend a proxy service in the US? I recall reading a thread here where proxy service was offered, they offered to get anything from US and ship anywhere in the world, can you recommend something like that? I want to get a watch but the site is not shipping to my country.

Spurious

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a brand for chinos in non-traditional colors like red, light blue, green and what not?

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Can anyone recommend a brand for chinos in non-traditional colors like red, light blue, green and what not?

Bonobos has what you're looking for. They're not the best quality, but with all their groupon deals and coupons for their website the price is very reasonable for what you get. Depending on the look you want, you may wish to get them tapered a bit at a tailor too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads