Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

That's what I wear now. I'm 5'11" and wear a M. With suit trousers they're fine, but with jeans or chinos with a lower rise they aren't long enough.

2. eddiecibrian

eddiecibrian Senior member

I saw a few pairs of Allen edmond shoes at Nordstrom rack for about $130, is that a good deal? the shoe didn't stand out in my opinion

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Yes. Those retail for $300, and are excellent shoes. The styling may not stand out, but they're well made with good leather, and are sure as hell many times better than anything else in that price range.

Allen Edmonds is basically entry level for high end shoes.

4. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

which models and what sizes? and where?
    i only see super wide AE's at the nordstrom racks i've been to
    or a style that i totally don't want to wear
    and never as low as $130... more like $180-200

5. eddiecibrian

eddiecibrian Senior member

they were wide, I don't know about super wide, I can't remember. the models but there were 5 of the same ones, the only attractive thing was a brown loafer but I can't remember the model, they also had 7 pairs of the same Bruno magli loafer for around $120...I ended up not spending too much time in there, the shirts were. unattractive and overpriced, so hard to find something good in there nowadays.

6. Philip

Philip Senior member

are grenson boots good quality? i'm a uk9 for Loakes what size would i be for Grenson?

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I can never really recommend blind buying anything without checking fit somewhere first. But at that price, assuming they are first quality shoes and not seconds, that is a good deal. So good luck to you friend, hope they end up working out.

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

What shoes pair well with dark brown pants? I have a pair of brown suede shoes, but they seem to match the pants so closely they look stupid.

9. doug funnie

doug funnie Well-Known Member

My GF regularly references the fact that she doesn't feel she dresses appropriately for work. She's 26 and works in engineering management. I don't think she under dresses terribly, but on normal days she wears jeans and a polo and on dressier days she wears pants and a button down. I guess I would say she still dresses like a college intern and not someone on a team that manages billion dollar projects. She is self-conscious about this sometimes, but she's also too apathetic to take the initiative to branch out and develop her taste so to speak.

Now I don't care how she dresses at work because I wear jeans and a t shirt most days, but if she feels she looks better and has more confidence at work then obviously I want that for her. I was thinking of getting her a subscription to some fashion magazine to see if that would get the ball rolling, but all the ones I'm familiar with either look like complete trash, or are too high fashion to be relevant.

Any suggestions? Some of you are probably thinking that this will blow up in my face, but I'm not worried about that. It will either be received appreciatively or with apathetically, but she won't be insulted.

10. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Sand color suede should look good. I also wear navy shoes with brown.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  11. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

My GF has a subscription to Lucky Magazine. She dresses well.

12. SnarlPatrick

SnarlPatrick Senior member

Approximately how much should it cost to have a leather jacket cleaned? I was quoted $80 and that seemed high to me.

13. Philip

Philip Senior member

I think looking to magazines for inspiration for workwear is the wrong way to go about it. When have you seen women's workwear featured in any magazine? I don't see anything wrong with her just wearing a well tailored suit to work

14. sbdivemaster

sbdivemaster New Member

Hi,

I'm a newb, but I have been lurking for a bit. I've been out of the "style" circuit for a while (will explain later...), but I wanted to ask a quick question:

Today, I will be heading out to do my regular thrift shop run. Since reading around SF a bit, I've decided to expand my search list. I will be looking at dress shirts, suits, and ties. Aside from Brooks Brothers, J. Press, and Paul Stuart (those are what I grew up wearing), please list 3 or 4 labels I should be looking for.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated, and if I find some good stuff, I will post pics over in the thrift store bragging thread.

Thank you!

15. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

hmm obviously you haven't lurked enough
    look through that thrift shop show off thread