1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. oisin

oisin Senior member

[​IMG]

saw this on one of our member's tumblr feed. Anyone have an idea what this jacket is or where i can get one? (or one like it?--mostly love the colors (and great pattern matching)--not sure how i feel about the throat tab but it's cool enough).

2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ it's IST66... just PM him and ask.

3. theADW

theADW New Member

I'd like to buy a nice pair of brown shoes, ~$700 ceiling, no firm time limit, and I prefer oxfords to other styles.

I mostly wear grey Paul Smith suits, a white shirt, a bright tie, and a bright pocket square. Shoes seem embarrassingly impenetrable to me & I'd love to benefit from the knowledge of folks on this forum.

As a point of departure, I think that these (http://www.mrporter.com/product/173099) look nice enough, but a few minutes on this forum suggests that Church's are not (or are no longer?) worth the price of admission. Generally, I'm pretty confused as to which shoe makers are good and which aren't.

Many thanks!

4. oisin

oisin Senior member

cool thanks--saw this on a tumblr of a tumblr of a tumblr, so wasnt sure the source.

5. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

anyone? thanks

6. theADW

theADW New Member

Apologies if this double-posts; I got an error message after submitting the first time.

I'd like to buy a nice pair of brown shoes to wear with grey suits. I'm willing to spend ~$700 and would like it to go as far as possible.

My suits are mostly Paul Smith, and I mostly wear solid white dress shirts with a bright tie and bright pocket square.

As a point of departure, these seem agreeable enough (http://www.mrporter.com/product/173099), but a few minutes perusing this forum suggests that Church's aren't (or are no longer?) worth the price of admission. In general, I don't know much about the reliability of the various brands, & am happy to benefit from the collective wisdom of folks here.

Many thanks!

7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ if you shop around, for $700 you can get TWO pairs of nice shoes.

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Click on your bolded user name at the top right of the page, scroll down (or Ctrl + F) to the 'edit signature text' link at bottom left.
    :fistbump:

Thanks! I'll check it out....

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  9. ManCrush

ManCrush Well-Known Member

Crockett & Jones or Carmina, and pocket the change.

10. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

Quick question: I am going to an outdoor graduation tomorrow (5/5) in GA. I have my clothing set but I need advice on which shoes (and consequently, which belt) to pair with it.

Blue Kenneth Cole seersucker jacket w/ white pocket square
    Pink oxford shirt from Macy's
    Light BR chinos

My shoe choices are (shoes that I own):
    Brown BR driving loafer
    Brown J&M penny loafers
    Brown Sperry boat shoes

Suggestions? Any other shoe that would be a better fit? On a tight budget.. Any help is appreciated.

11. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

What shade of brown? I think anything medium to dark brown should work well. I would probably go with the penny loafers.

12. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

The BR and the J&M loafers are medium to dark brown. Thank you for your advice.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Derby's are technically casual shoes, so yes. I would look for Alden, or Allen Edmonds used on ebay.

14. radiocures

radiocures Member

I live in an area with very limited retail options for men's clothing - Belk is one the higher end stores nearby - and the ones we do have carry a very limited selection.

I'm a novice when it comes to fit or style, and I'm looking for a fairly mainstream navy blazer. I am very slim and above average height - 6'1", 130lbs - and 36R has the been the best fit OTR that I can find; shoulders are usually okay, chest sometimes too large, and waist almost always too large.

After visiting every store in the area, I found four navy blazers. Three are low-end with lousy material that I don't care for; the last large enough I worry if it will look okay after alterations.

I don't live near any big cities, and it's difficult for me to travel. When I do, I rarely have a lot of time available to clothes shop.

I'm considering trying online MTM even though I don't have any jackets that fit well. I'm also thinking of ordering jackets from places like Zappos and Nordstrom and returning them until I find one that fits, though I feel a little bad doing that.

What would you do in my situation?

(Note: I'd like to spend less than $500 for the blazer.)

15. patrickBOOTH

Move out of the sticks.

16. radiocures

radiocures Member

I'm planning on it, but it's 2-3 years out. :)

17. patrickBOOTH

Save your money for 2-3 years and get something nice. :)

18. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Looks fine.

19. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

20. patrickBOOTH

Really? Why? Because they are formal? If you get that picky than even the sportcoat would be too casual.