1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

Check out Spier & Mackay.

1 person likes this.
  2. schuettlerw

schuettlerw Member

Spier and Mackay looks good, but would probably end up spending the same as I would on luxire after having them hemmed and maybe tapered..Hmm

thanks for the help! Will definitely keep all of those in mind!

3. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

Keep in mind the Spier prices are in CAD, so you'll save some cash on the exchange rate. I can also vouch for their great customer service.

Also, if you sign up for their mailing list, there are very frequent sales.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  4. UrbanTraveller

UrbanTraveller Member

Great Thread! Is it possible to make a tie without interlining?

5. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Sure. For example, some ties are made from silk folded up to seven times to give the same heft and drape that other ties get from the use of a wool interlining.

6. UrbanTraveller

UrbanTraveller Member

Ok, but does it not increase the risk of losing its shape if the tie does not have a wool interlining? Is the interlining always made out of wool and why?

7. HerrPushkin

HerrPushkin New Member

I hope this is the right place to ask, but I'm curious if someone could help me figure out the sizing of Meermin. I wear a 10D in AE Mora 2.0. Meermin told me I should wear a 9UK from them, but AE says their 10D is equal to a 9.5UK. Anyone have experience with them?

Just fyi, my feet are slightly wide, but not wide enough for me to wear wide shoes. It just takes a few weeks for the shoes to stretch and not cause pain.

8. FlyingCzechman

FlyingCzechman Member

Hi SF, I found this sweater on woolovers, but Im not sure about the fit as the shoulder seam is a bit low imo. Is the fit OK in this picture? Thanks

[​IMG]

9. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Why does the fit matter on him? What really matters is how the sweater fits you. To answer your question, the sleeves are a bit long but nothing especially egregious.

10. BrooksLauren77

You should ask this in the Meermin thread.

11. FlyingCzechman

FlyingCzechman Member

I want to order it, but the price of the sweater is pretty much the same as the postage if I decide to return it.

Im more concerned about the fit in the shoulder if it is okay or not, as with my narrow shoulders I will get a similar fit.

12. The Heat

The Heat Active Member

Need some advice on a good black work shoe.

Work attire for me is wool pants, shirt, tie and white coat (healthcare). I'm looking for thoughts on a good black work shoe, not too formal, not too casual.

I'm thinking about 3-eyelet derby such as the Herring Chalcombe:
    http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/herring/chalcombe_derby-shoe/black-calf

Or maybe a split toe blucher like the AE Delray:
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...html?dwvar_SF1208_color=1208#q=delray&start=2

Thoughts on these or other suggestions? I've got a full and semi brogue in other colors in the rotation and am not huge fan of loafers or monks.

13. mimo

mimo Senior member

If you're going black, go formal i.e an oxford or balmoral. I always think black derbies look off. A black punched captoe is really sharp, while not quite as uptight as a plain cap. A wholecut is cool if the last is nice.

With your needs I'd be looking at brown or burgundy. For those, the NST or plain derby work beautifully.

1 person likes this.
  14. cakv

cakv Senior member

+1 to his advice. The only nice black whole cut shoes I've seen are those with soft chisel toes like those in Carmina's Rain last.

15. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Is it okay to wear wool trousers with a motorcycle style leather jacket? I'm not sure if the leather jacket works with wool trousers and a shirt tucked in.

16. BrooksLauren77

I'd do it, if your shoes aren't too formal.

1 person likes this.
  17. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Green carmina wingtips lol. Gonna do it tomorrow then to our work Christmas lunch.

18. mimo

mimo Senior member

I would say go with chinos or something instead. But if you mean those green cordovan derby brogues then I hate you and I don't even care. :)

19. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

My father recently found his father's fedora. It's probably a 60 or 70 year old hat, and it needs some TLC that we don't know how to give. Does anyone know of a hat refurbishing/recrafting service that they trust?

20. othertravel

othertravel Senior member