1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

Hi, two quick questions:

1. Generally speaking, are cashmere jackets warmer than other wools, or does it just seem that way because my cashmere jackets are mostly tweeds and my worsted jackets mostly not cashmere?
    2. Is there a general phenomenon of suits of the same size being produced to smaller dimensions over time? I have a 38 in old label Zegna that fits close to my newer 40 Zegna, and recently got a new (grey label with year) Canali in a 40, whereas in older Canali I've always found the 38 a better fit. Is this just coincidence, or have sizes drifted over time?

2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Probably not inherently so, although I've no problem believing that your cashmere jackets happen to be warmer than your non-cashmeres.

FWIW, my silk/linen/cashmere (equal percentages of each) blazer is the coolest blazer I own. And I don't find my cashmere sweaters to be any warmer than my merino sweaters.

I guess what it comes down to is, cashmere (like most wools) can be used to create an uncommonly warm garment, but it needn't be used that way, and often is not used that way.

Vanity sizing - which is certainly an actual practice - suggests just the opposite. That today's size 38 would fit like yesteryear's size 40, and not the other way around.

But this sort of thing really varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

They have. And the fit/cut of suits have changed too, which can sometimes make it tricky comparing what once was, with what now is. But in any case, the drift has not been a uniform thing, across all makes of clothing. Some have gone smaller. Some larger. Some have varied in other ways.

Seems only fair, as my own body size/shape has drifted a little over time. :)

Anyway, what does the number on the label matter? If a jacket fits me well, then it fits me well. If it doesn't, it doesn't. If it's marked size 32, size 56, size 624.73, or whatever, what difference does that truly make? The "official" size should seldom be much more than a general guide, as to where you might care to start trying on RTW items for fit. It has little actual significance beyond that.

1 person likes this.
  3. tchaikovsky

tchaikovsky New Member

Hi guys, just wanted to follow up to my last post. I was looking for some suits in some great neutral colors. Well now, after $200, I am the proud owner of a BB golden fleece suit in gray, which I (think) fits me fairly well. I will get some quick tailoring done on it soon. My question now is- How do I take care of this suit? I have a wooden curvy hangar and a garment bag, and that's it. Should I store it a certain way? In a certain environment?

Also, I bought some AE Strands too-- any idea how to take the best possible care of those, too? The inside of the shoe says:

9 D 1635
    43520S

I plan on spending $200 on fitting my suit / buying things needed to take care of it and the shoes.

Please forgive my ignorance, as these are the first "nice clothes" I've owned.

4. b14k

b14k Active Member

Hello!

I would appreciate any advice on whether to keep or return this suit. This is the smallest size they offered and the shoulders are a little too big, exactly 1/8 inch too wide. The tailor said it would cost me $60 to narrow the shoulders, but recommended it looks fine and it wouldn't be worth it. The tailor only recommended I hem the pants to a "slight break."

Do you guys think this the look okay to keep and alter the rest, despite the shoulders being a little too wide? If so, what else would you suggest getting altered on the suit?
    This is my first suit and it will be primary used while I am in law school, so I am not looking for something too fashion forward, but at the same time I don't want something too conservative. Is the overall proportion okay or should I look to slim the sleeves, pants, and chest down further? Thank You!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

6. IJReilly

IJReilly Senior member

The good news: I lost over 20lbs/10kgs this spring! My wife says I look better than the day she met me.

The bad news: My shirt collars are now far to big to wear buttoned with ties. I've lost about 5 centimeters in the neck. This is saddening because I have quite a few pricey and very nice made to measure shirts from various italian makers.

I've lost far to much weight to just move the button a centimeter. Are there any other options if I don't want to look like a school boy who borrowed my father's shirt? My guess is no, but there is no harm in asking. Worst case scenario I guess I will wear them open and keep them as back ups in case I gain back the weight I lost.

7. hindi ako

hindi ako Active Member

Described as a 3 button blazer, does this look more like an overcoat of some variety?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  8. cakv

cakv Senior member

Gentlemen, I'm new to tall boots. Is it normal for the shaft to be so roomy? Please notice how tightly I lace my boots up top. Despite being laced tightly, I can insert 2 fingers into the shoe through the opening behind my calf.

The boot fits fine in the vamp, toes, and quarter. It's just the shaft that I'm questioning. Please ignore quality of boots(<$400) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. cakv

cakv Senior member

I'm with Isolation on this one. I even think that the shoulders are a tad small for you. Notice how you can see the curvature of your delt/upper arm. I don't believe that should happen in a great fitting suit. If you look at a lot of the fit pictures, the shoulder extends far enough over the shoulder so that the sleeve hangs nicely in such a way that there is a smooth line from the sleeve head to the hem of the sleeve.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  10. Lucido

Lucido Senior member

Great looking boots. I think they're fine as long as your feet aren't sliding around inside or you're experiencing heel slip.

11. 12345Michael54321

Post pictures. Not links to pictures.

Sort of how you presumably want people to post their opinions with regard to your question. Not links to their opinions.

I'm going to channel my inner Social & Behavioral Scientist - "Rather than worrying about what is 'normal,' you'd be better off focusing on how it makes you feel. Are you comfortable with it as it is? Does it serve you well? If so, then it sounds like a good thing, worth keeping."

So, does the fit of the boot cause you physical or psychological discomfort? Does the boot serve well as a boot?

I dare say the boot's fit around your lower leg is more roomy than might be the case with most other boots/people. Maybe your boots are unusually large in that aspect. Maybe your lower leg is unusually slender. Maybe some combination of the two.

Not that this is likely, as a general thing, to be visible to anyone else. Still, if it bothers you, they're not the right boots for you. If it doesn't bother you, there's no problem.

12. 12345Michael54321

Yeah, I'd say it resembles an overcoat, more than it does a traditional blazer. Admittedly, I can't see it in person, examine the material, look at the lining, check out its weight, etc. Heck, I haven't even seen a photo of it being worn. But it's the kind of picture where if I came across it on eBay, and the auction described it as a blazer, I'd be sort of inclined to think it was maybe being misidentified. (Most of the "blazers" on eBay are, of course, misidentified. But they're typically orphan suit jackets, not overcoats.) Rule of thumb - If you have to ask, "Is this a blazer?" chances are, it isn't.

13. cakv

cakv Senior member

Can a sole guard(topy or Vibram brand) be applied to these shoes in this condition?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  14. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

Dear all,

I am looking for a blazer like this.
    The ones sold by Drake's are - very - expensive but very good in terms of cut and quality - cloth wise.
    I am looking to put £400 top and I have not found anything on Suit Supply, Boggi, Yoox.
    Are there other websites that I should look into for that ? I tried eBay with Harris tweed but I have not found anything at all. I would ideally look for a shop in London so that I could try it on since sizes vary from a brand to another.

[​IMG]

15. backtaro

backtaro Senior member

First thing came to my mind regarding this style was Polo Ralph Lauren, but you will need to wait for sale season to get it down below £400.

16. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

Th

Thanks, I checked their website as well but didn't found anything like it. They may have more in their physical store.

17. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Well-Known Member

I can't quite see the picture, but these Reporter unstructured wool and cashmere jackets in autumnal tones are at tk maxx:

http://www.tkmaxx.com/page/search?q=reporter

I have one and it is a very nice quality and fabric. I may need to return mine as the fit isn't quite ideal for me though.

18. MTLinStyle

MTLinStyle Senior member

These shoulders look fine to me.any narrower and you would not be able to lift your arm sideways

19. Satmoche

Satmoche Senior member

Thank you

20. likenoother

likenoother Well-Known Member

Hello,

anyone knows where to buy high quality buckles for single monk strap shoes? Many thanks.