1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

The clothes you're going to wear to the party sound fine. As for the handkerchief, maybe I wouldn't wear it with the rest of what you've described (then again, maybe I would), but please don't worry about it.

This is a casual celebration. Wearing one, small, perhaps ever so slightly questionable item, just isn't any big deal. If anything, it displays a celebratory insouciance perfectly in keeping with the occasion. It is, at worst, the Persian flaw in your ensemble. It doesn't begin to rise to the level of a GTH piece. And you're going to a New Year's celebration, not to your Senate confirmation hearings.

Plus, the green of the handkerchief and the red of the tie represent Yuletide colors. :)

So if you want to wear it, wear it. And for Dog's sake, don't then go second guessing your decision. No man ever looks his best when he's preoccupied with doubt over his choice of clothes.

2. SortofFitz

SortofFitz New Member

Hi, I'm hoping someone knowledgeable about alterations can answer a quick question. Is there a practical limit on how much a pair of dress pants can be shortened before this starts to cause problems? For example, could the trousers from an off-the-rack suit be shortened from a 36" inseam to a 29" inseam without radically altering the shape or undermining the structural integrity? If the legs are both tapered and long, could hemming them also be an effective way of reducing the taper?

I'm aware of these threads on SF and AAAC, which were mildly helpful, but a little more detail on this point would be greatly appreciated:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/235115/how-much-can-you-alter-pants-before-its-too-much
    https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com...n-I-get-longer-inseam-pants-and-just-hem-them

3. chrisphr

chrisphr Member

Hey all, trying to nail the fit for online MTM shirts, and love to get your feedback.

Something seems off with this shirt, but having a hard time figuring out what measurement is off. Right now I am thinking the arm holes are a bit snug, but not certain. See pictures below, love to get some opinions. Thanks all!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Lancaster

Lancaster Senior member

It doesn't seem to sit right on your shoulders. The seam extends over your right shoulder but not your left. It is possible that your posture accounts for this

5. pravda

pravda Senior member

I agree with @lancaster

6. chrisphr

chrisphr Member

Thanks for the replies! I'll check that out, if posture, then not a fit issue, a posture/repositioning the shirt thing?

7. EFV

EFV Senior member

Also a fit issue. Shoulders are too narrow. Needs adjusting for asymmetrical shoulders + increased width (especially more width on your right shoulder). Front/back balance also seems off. The front piece should probably be cut a bit wider over the chest (you can see some straining over the chest), whilst the back piece should be cut slightly narrower just above your waist (where the fabric is bunching up). About the armholes, do they feel like they creep up into your armpits? If so, make them bigger. The sleeve pitch seems to need adjusting. See how the sleeves strain over your triceps but sits loose over your biceps? That can be helped by rotating the sleeve head at the shoulder seam.

Now, all of these suggestions are based of a picture posted online, I may be entirely wrong about some things, since they may look different irl.

I'd send these pictures to the maker and ask them for further advice on what alterations can be done with the block patterns they're using.

8. chrisphr

chrisphr Member

Thanks for the detailed feedback, educational for me and definitely taking your advice to send pictures to maker for remake. Thanks!

9. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Looking for fit feedback on this suit. Pants need to be hemmed. Why is there creasing in the arms? Is this an issue with the shoulder or the arms? Any fix for this? What do you think of the overall fit for OTR (SuitSupply)? Other than the issue with the arms it looks good to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. facet

facet Senior member

I believe it's the sleeve pitch; so you're arms rotate back a bit relative to the angle that the sleeves naturally fall. It creates the bunching on the back of the sleeve that you're seeing.

1 person likes this.
  11. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Was thinking the same thing.

12. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

No fix for this?

13. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I think you can get a seamstress or tailor to adjust it.

1 person likes this.
  14. facet

facet Senior member

You can. It's a matter or adjusting the sleeve pitch so that it's rotated back a little. Don't know how easy it is though

1 person likes this.
  15. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Well-Known Member

Not cheap to fix, but the suit looks great on you elsewhere so perhaps worth it in this context.

1 person likes this.
  16. asturiano

asturiano Senior member

what is a cashmerino yarn? Just read it on a selvage of a piece cloth. It said cashmerino + wool blend.
    Google says that is a blend of cashmere + wool + acrylic?

Any idea? many thanks.

17. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It occurs to me that it may be a trade name for a blend of cashmere + wool + acrylic. The wool could be merino. The acrylic likely takes several forms. The percentages of wool, cashmere, and acrylic aren't fixed. And the very term "cashmerino" is probably used fairly flexibly.

18. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Senior member

Nothing to add unfortunately, except to say that this is a great looking suit, fits you really well. What model is it?

1 person likes this.
  19. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

It's Suitsupply Washington fit with peak lapels. I decided to keep the suit and really love it.

1 person likes this.
  20. doomx

doomx Senior member

I am looking for a denim dress shirt as seem in this photo. I would actually prefer it a little lighter in color.

Any thoughts of where I can get one? Thank you.

[​IMG]