• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Does this 3 piece combo work well for a wedding attending as a guest, or go no waistcoat. Wedding will be marjority people in high 20's to high 30's. Also because the wedding is being held in November, would it be concidererd inappropriate to wear a poppy on the lapel? *note Ignore the pants

http://postimg.org/image/lbmng38qv/

http://s23.postimg.org/tien7nytn/20131101_220501_resized.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/4ml7k6c5n/20131101_220652_resized.jpg
Do NOT buy this outfit. No one--other than 6' 10" pro basketball players--wears anything but a two or three-button suit. Four buttons is heinous, even for pro sportsmen. Stay away!

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What shirts are essential in a wardrobe?
As of today, I have these shirts in my wardrobe (I just moved, and I didn't bring all of my shirts):
1x light green OCBD
1x sky blue OCBD
1x university striped blue OCBD
1x university striped light purple OCBD
1x university striped aqua OCBD
1x ecru OCBD
1x denim button down shirt
1x white blue checks dress shirt
1x light blue chambray shirt w/english cutaway collar

As you can see, my collection consists mainly of OCBDs, because I am a student and I don't wear suits or jackets as much as you guys. And I usually dress in jeans, chinos, v-necks or crew necks combined with shirts.
But I would like some advice about what kind of shirts I should invest in.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Spurious

Reaction score
The mantra is, you can never have enough white and light blue shirts.
So that's where I'd start with a business wardrobe.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need a plain white OCBD, and a plain white dress shirt. A plain blue dress shirt is also recommended. You still need to dress up every now and again, best to be prepared.

plainnerd

Reaction score
I need a few new pairs of dress shoes and I'd like some with commando type soles, or at least a good all weather sole. Any brands to look at in the 300 or so dollar range?

Terpo

Reaction score
You need a plain white OCBD, and a plain white dress shirt. A plain blue dress shirt is also recommended. You still need to dress up every now and again, best to be prepared.

Isn't white and OCBD a contradiction?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Isn't white and OCBD a contradiction?

Nonsense. Hell, I'm wearing one right now. They go with almost literally anything short of formalwear.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Approximately how much length can be added to the pants by using the cuff material and the material underneath the hem?

The pants in question have a 1.5'' cuff height and about 1'' material underneath the hem.

Thanks!

ellsbebc

Reaction score

Approximately how much length can be added to the pants by using the cuff material and the material underneath the hem?

The pants in question have a 1.5'' cuff height and about 1'' material underneath the hem.

Thanks!

Assuming you keep the 1" under hem, you theoretically have approximately 3" allowance (1.5" cuff doubled).

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought formal is precisely what the color white is for.

White also goes with everything else. It's not exclusive to formal settings. But OCBDs don't work with a tuxedo.

Last edited:

jnash85

Reaction score
I need recommendations on a bow tie. I will be wearing a dark grey suit with either a light blue or white shirt. Brown or black shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads