1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mosy

mosy Senior member

should've included that this will be a notch lapel.

still 9?

2. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Yes. Are you worried that 9 is too wide, or too narrow?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  3. mosy

mosy Senior member

9 is a bit wider than I was expecting to hear but not worried....Just wanted to make sure you (and anybody else who wants to weigh in) knew I was referring to a notch lapel...

4. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

Those that hang dry clothes... How do you get them go soften up before wearing?

5. keepsake89

keepsake89 Senior member

grey dress hat

what color shoes?

i feel that brown shoes are kinda mismatched?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  6. Toshiber

Toshiber New Member

Hi gents

I have an interview tomorrow for an industrial placement, I'm a student at university so I have little experience with suits

I rushed and bought a suit that is too big for me - my chest is 35" and the suit I bought is 38"

It appears too big, and the sleeves are a good inch too big for me too.. but will I get away with this fit?

http://i.imgur.com/0aW2MHm.jpg

Thanks, I do intend to get it tailored to fit me better in the future (that or start working out lol)

7. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

8. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Is it possible to return it and get something else? I think I see some collar gap, which I don't think can be reasonably fixed. It's going to cost too much for you to alter to an ideal fit.

9. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Not easy to say, given that I only saw one picture, and it was from the back. But I'm guessing you can get away with it. For one thing, many people don't really understand what constitutes good fit in a suit. For another, you're a college student going on an interview for an industrial placement. Sure, it'd be nice if you had a great suit that fit you perfectly, but most people cut college students a little more slack when it comes to suits than they would, say, a 45 year old corporate lawyer interviewing for a senior position somewhere.

If you have another suit which is the right size, then by all means wear that other suit. If you haven't another suit which fits you, and the interview calls for a suit, then why even ask? Your interview is in one day; you're out of time, hence out of options. You must wear the suit, regardless of how it looks, right?

If it's the wrong size, return/sell/donate it, and buy a suit which is the right size.

Getting an excessively large suit tailored down to fit you will probably not result in as good a fit as you'd see from a suit which is the proper size to begin with. And getting it tailored down well will likely not be cheap. (I'm not talking about shortening the sleeves by an inch, which is likely trivial. I'm talking about the rest of it.)

Next time, plan ahead, and don't wait until the last minute to figure out if you have something necessary for a presumably important event. Planning ahead is almost always going to yield superior results, and usually cost you less money. And it marks you as a professional and an adult.

10. Toshiber

Toshiber New Member

Unfortunately returning isn't an option.. although I didn't spend *too* much so I suppose I'll just wardrobe it incase I decide to hit the gym in the future

I actually have a choice between the aforementioned suit and my old prom suit

My old suit fits a lot better on the chest although the trousers are too long.. I'd much prefer if there wasn't any fabric collecting at my shoes, but alas I'm out of time and no time for alterations

my old suit looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/5jSUwPi.jpg

Would it be better to wear the older suit despite the trousers being too long?

Thanks for the input - I will definitely plan ahead in the future!

11. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I'd go with the older suit. The pants don't look egregiously long from that picture

12. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Go with the older suit. Get the pants shortened as soon as possible.

13. Rewfio

Rewfio Senior member

Fairly new to SF. Got my hands on this polo ralph lauren blazer/SC,and was wondering if its something special or just a nother blackwatch SC.(the bad news is that it has a decent sized hole on a sleeve :brick:
    [​IMG]

The deets
    Buttons look awesome,never seen these before and the embroidery is something new to me also(metal?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Would appreciate any knowledge on this SC,thanks in advance everyone [​IMG]:slayer:

14. Slh

Slh Senior member

I very often see the term "drape" used online. Can you explain me the meaning of it? What I understand is that the term means how clothes hang on you, but seems to me a quite elusive term and concept. Also, is drape correlated with the weight of the fabric? Is also possible something fits you correctly ( in terms of measurements) but "drapes" badly?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  15. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Well-Known Member

My daughter,the MD, says you don't have to worry about caner from the redness. Put a little vaseline petroleum jelly on the bridge of your nose.

Paul Winston
    Winston Tailors/ www.chippneckwear.com

16. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

The term 'drape' can be used in two contexts:

1. Generally how a fabric hangs (e.g. in a smooth line). Usually correlated with weight but clearly something that is stiffly woven will not hang well, whereas there are lightweight fabrics that exhibit drape.

2. The 'drape' cut, exemplified by Anderson & Sheppard. A suit made with additional allowance over the upper chest and shoulder blades, giving freedom of movement and comfort but also a distinctive aesthetic.

17. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Well-Known Member

Try wearing a jumper as well, that should make it fit a little better.

18. Konstantinos343

Konstantinos343 Well-Known Member

One question, guys!

I want to buy a shirt from SuitSupply and I must know if a White Plain Oxford shirt's fabric is thick enough to be worn without a white t-shirt underneath. You know, if it's a see-through kind of fabric or not. :)

19. Smitty2k1

Smitty2k1 Senior member

I can't comment on the shirt, but you should be wearing light grey undershirts, not white. They blend in with your skin color much better.

1 person likes this.
  20. Konstantinos343

Konstantinos343 Well-Known Member

I never thought of that, thanks!

Well, if the shirt I am ready to buy can hide my skin well I won't wear any t-shirt to feel more cool, because it's hot here.

And the reason I am asking about the product is that there is no SuitSupply in my country. I will actually have to order the shirt. :)