1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Feryll

Feryll Well-Known Member

Is this blend acceptable for a winter coat ?
    70% Wool, 20% Nylon, 10% Cashmere

2. bradp

bradp Senior member

I assume if I wear suede shoes my belt should also be suede. Is that correct?

3. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

It's fine.

Not necessary.

4. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Believe me, you do not want 100% cashmere.

Very very fragile.

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Yup, that's what would probably be considered fine leather. You need to get yourself some brown shoe polish. Your basic choice is between cream (little jar) and wax (flat tin)- cream will nourish the leather more, but offer less protection and shine. Wax gives you protection and more shine, but it's not as good as keeping the leather nourished. If you use wax, using a conditioner like lexol every few polishes is a good idea, though not strictly necessary. Lots of people alternate between cream and wax for the benefits of both, though with pretty much any polish the most important thing is that you polish regularly. Oh, and stay away from liquid polishes and those with silicone. Those are both ways to get a high gloss shine quickly, but sustained use isn't really great for the leather. Check out the shoe care thread for more discussions on how to polish, brands, and whatnot. But really, you're fine grabbing a tin of Kiwi. It's actually decent stuff.

6. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Anyone have experience with Moorer outerwear? Thanks

7. Feryll

Feryll Well-Known Member

I usually try to stay away from nylon, polyester, polyamide. That is why I asked.

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

That blend should be fine, the nylon is there to add durability. Not at all uncommon for heavy jacket fabrics. Shouldn't affect the feel much.

9. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Same shade suede too. However, I think it's one rule people take a little too seriously. Same colour, regardless of leather, should suffice.

10. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

What kind of belt would you pair with these To Boot NY chukka boots? I haven't seen a color quite like this, not even sure what you would call it. I mainly wear them with premium dark denim or dress slacks at work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Casual leather belt in a similar shade of brown. Can't see these boots with slacks though.

12. Wretchard

Wretchard New Member

Thanks for the info!

13. yourcctailor

yourcctailor Member

[​IMG] now i am going to change my socks

14. area3400

area3400 Member

I want to buy another pair of plain toe bluchers. I like my AE Kenilworths but want something a little sturdier for the walk from the parking garage to work in light rain and day to day muck, etc. I found some AE black hills on the shoe bank. They are pretty affordable compared to shell and being waxy leather they seem like they will be harder to harm than the calf on my Kenilworths.

The question what is a decent looking shoe that will give the look of a nice PTB but that will stand up to the elements? I have already have footwear for truly bad weather, just need something for days that don't warrant full on duck boots, etc.

15. BigYeech

BigYeech Member

I'm looking for a easy to put on boot, kind of like the Allen Edmonds Gobi or the Loake Pimlico, but I want a sleeker toe that looks more like a dress Oxford. Should I be looking at Chelsea boots? I'd like to be able to wear them with denim, but also go into the business casual range. My budget is $500. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  16. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Any advice on how J Press outerwear fits?

http://www.jpressonline.com/marine-navy-peacoat/

Thinking of buying this, strongly likely gonna do the 46... Just want to make sure they still keep with their reputation of not being overly slim.

EDIT - For what it's worth: I went into the store itself today, since I was in New Haven for work anyways. Ultimately went with the 48L. While they do have a rep for fitting larger generally, the coat is slightly slim cut and, more importantly, it's a coat so it's got a thick lining and you might be wearing things underneath.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  17. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Hi fellas,
    I have these boots and the crepe sole is beginning to wear down; I want to replace it with a double leather sole or a vibram sole. Which one do you guys think is better? I wear these boots year-round.

On a side-note: I know that the boots are supposedly stitched, but is it actually constructed in such a way that would allow for the soles to be replaced? I've called J Crew CS 3x about it, but they can't give a definitive "yes/no" answer.

18. ajp718

ajp718 Member

What do you guys think of these Florsheim Imperials?
    [​IMG]

19. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

Is there a thread or set of posts somewhere with guidelines on how a hat should fit? Like, how tight it should be, how far above your ears it should sit, how much space between the top of your head and the hat, etc.

I used to be confident that I knew these things by a kind of a priori intellectual intuition, but I just re-read Wodehouse's short story "The Amazing Hat Mystery" and now I'm questioning my own judgment!

20. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

:crazy: