• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It looks nice, but to my eye it feels like the sleeves are a bit short. Maybe have your shirt sleeve poking out?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoes made in Italy vs. made in UK

Which country has best quality in general?

There is no definitive answer but British shoes are generally goodyear welted while the Italians like to use a lot of different methods. You can get a goodyear welt resoled easily always, some of the others might be harder

House

Reaction score
Got a sweater from O'Connell's with the saddle shoulder. Wondering if this thing fits, feels a little snug but perhaps that's alright. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

You need a larger size.And these Shetland pullovers are worn with the cuff rolled to the right length so it's too short.

House

Reaction score
Quote: P.S. these are not meant to be tight body fitting and it would be uncomfortable to wear it tight. You'd be hot too every time you went inside. btw, people sometimes would even roll the bottom ribbing. That one is also too short.

facet

Reaction score

Next ignorant question:

Is an Allen Edmonds Leeds both casual enough to wear with chinos and dressy enough to wear with a suit occasionally?

As already mentioned, yes. If you can only afford one shoe, and it has to be a PTB, you can also give the kenilworths consideration. They seem to be pretty versatile and on my purchase list.

Last edited:

Bartleby Trout

Reaction score
Question:

When would it be appropriate to wear these shoes in black? What kind of pants would be all right? Would jeans be too much? I'm new to this whole "caring about how you look" thing. Basically, I'm a colorblind fashion newb who needs as much help as he can get.

Thank you!

I also have a pending post with an inserted pic with a different pair of shoes.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonlin...Fifth-Avenue&gclid=CL6N24GfyLMCFQyk4Aodh1YA7A

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question:

When would it be appropriate to wear these shoes in black? What kind of pants would be all right? Would jeans be too much? I'm new to this whole "caring about how you look" thing. Basically, I'm a colorblind fashion newb who needs as much help as he can get.

Thank you!

I also have a pending post with an inserted pic with a different pair of shoes.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonlin...Fifth-Avenue&gclid=CL6N24GfyLMCFQyk4Aodh1YA7A

Basically, you should never wear black shoes with jeans. It simply looks awful. A black shoe like that would only be appropriate with wool trousers or gray and olive khakis- it's a fairly casual styling in a formal color, which is a really awkward pairing.

The fifth avenues that you just posted are a much better choice. Suits, wool trousers, gray or olive khakis. Again, no jeans, since they're still black. Get the same shoe in brown, and it could work with jeans, but that's a rather formal styling.

Basically, the only shoe that can really work all the way from jeans to suits are brown or burgundy wingtips. And those have their detractors on either end- some hate them with jeans, some hate them with suits. You might also be able to shoehorn a brown plaintoe monk into that category, but those stand out enough that they really should be worn as part of a wider shoe rotation.

IMO, you need two pairs of shoes- one pair of brown/burgundy in a more casual styling that can work with jeans up through wool trousers, and a fairly formal black pair that will see use with suits and jacket/trouser pairings. Of course, that's just the starting point. :D

Last edited:

Bartleby Trout

Reaction score
Basically, you should never wear black shoes with jeans. It simply looks awful. A black shoe like that would only be appropriate with wool trousers or gray and olive khakis- it's a fairly casual styling in a formal color, which is a really awkward pairing.
The fifth avenues that you just posted are a much better choice. Suits, wool trousers, gray or olive khakis. Again, no jeans, since they're still black. Get the same shoe in brown, and it could work with jeans, but that's a rather formal styling.
Basically, the only shoe that can really work all the way from jeans to suits are brown or burgundy wingtips. And those have their detractors on either end- some hate them with jeans, some hate them with suits. You might also be able to shoehorn a brown plaintoe monk into that category, but those stand out enough that they really should be worn as part of a wider shoe rotation.
IMO, you need two pairs of shoes- one pair of brown/burgundy in a more casual styling that can work with jeans up through wool trousers, and a fairly formal black pair that will see use with suits and jacket/trouser pairings. Of course, that's just the starting point.
biggrin.gif
Thank you so much for your well thought-out and quick response! So, would the shoes I posted count for the "formal black" pair?

Again, I really appreciate the help... I have a LOT of questions stored up!

Bartleby Trout

Reaction score
IMO, you need two pairs of shoes- one pair of brown/burgundy in a more casual styling that can work with jeans up through wool trousers, and a fairly formal black pair that will see use with suits and jacket/trouser pairings. Of course, that's just the starting point.
biggrin.gif
Also, you mention wool, but what about cotton pants?

I would have edited this into my last reply, but since I'm new, I can't view it yet.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Fifth Avenue in black is a pretty formal shoe--would look out of place with jeans. With a suit, or a sportcoat with wool trousers and a tie, it'd look great.

Basically, black is more formal than brown--and the darker the brown, the more formal. The less brogueing/details, the more formal. This is both black and has little brogueing, and is thus quite formal.

Bartleby Trout

Reaction score
So sorry to post a few in a row (when my other posts are cleared, that is), but I forgot to mention that I also own these:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF4112_1_40000000001_-1

Would they be more like the brown casual to formal shoes you were talking about, or are these too loud for formal? Could these be worn with jeans?

Like I said... total newb here.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

jesPak

Reaction score
Has anyone in NYC been to LNC post-Sandy? I dropped off a suit on 10/20 and was told I'd be getting a call from him, still haven't heard back, tried calling several times over the weekend with no answer. I'm wondering if maybe LNC is still closed.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
polymshamy