• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So sorry to post a few in a row (when my other posts are cleared, that is), but I forgot to mention that I also own these:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF4112_1_40000000001_-1

Would they be more like the brown casual to formal shoes you were talking about, or are these too loud for formal? Could these be worn with jeans?

Like I said... total newb here.

Thanks again!

Well, maybe. I wouldn't though, those are probably best as a offbeat summer alternative to dressier shoes with fairly formal clothing, bottoming out with khakis.

You're going to want something like a penny loafer or a wingtip. Look at the MacNeil or Walden. A monk like the Norwich or a saddle shoe like the shelton could work too.

Also, you mention wool, but what about cotton pants?

I would have edited this into my last reply, but since I'm new, I can't view it yet.

Depends on color. Olive or gray, sure. Khaki, like what you probably have? Hell no. I've never seen black shoes with khaki look good- it makes you look like you have no clue about how to dress.

Thank you so much for your well thought-out and quick response! So, would the shoes I posted count for the "formal black" pair? 

Again, I really appreciate the help... I have a LOT of questions stored up!

The 5th avenue is perfect for a formal black pair.

battmest

Reaction score
Hello MC'ers

I need to start delving into a little more proper attire and branching out in my style. In light of recent employment, I could stand to upgrade to a few things. I've got a variety of very casual--but very simple-- sport shirts and oxfords... But, I'm wondering what brands of trouser / slack I should look at. Specifically, in the "below 250 range" and something with a slim, modern cut. The only way I'd consider going above 250 -- this is my first pair of proper pants that aren't denim-- would be a company carried at Bergdorf due to my access to discount -- theory, cucinelli, zegna, thom browne (one of my personal favorites) and any other "Fashion" oriented brand not necessarily MC stuff.

If you had to go with one trouser / slack / pant (to be worn once or twice a week) would you go navy, black, charcoal, grey, brown... suggestions definitely welcomed. Worn with black or dark brown shoes, for reference.

Thanks guise.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I only own one pair of suede shoes. I use shoe trees with them. I haven't found that the shoe trees stretch them.

I have at least two or three pairs and keep trees in all of them. I have not noticed any stretching.

Hello MC'ers

I need to start delving into a little more proper attire and branching out in my style. In light of recent employment, I could stand to upgrade to a few things. I've got a variety of very casual--but very simple-- sport shirts and oxfords... But, I'm wondering what brands of trouser / slack I should look at. Specifically, in the "below 250 range" and something with a slim, modern cut. The only way I'd consider going above 250 -- this is my first pair of proper pants that aren't denim-- would be a company carried at Bergdorf due to my access to discount -- theory, cucinelli, zegna, thom browne (one of my personal favorites) and any other "Fashion" oriented brand not necessarily MC stuff. 

If you had to go with one trouser / slack / pant (to be worn once or twice a week) would you go navy, black, charcoal, grey, brown... suggestions definitely welcomed. Worn with black or dark brown shoes, for reference. 

Thanks guise. 

Ahh, the BG discount. I used to be privy to this. I'm not going to go into brands, but for colors I would go with any of the ones you mentioned except the black. I would lean towards the navy and charcoal.

battmest

Reaction score
Ahah, it's wonderful is it not?

It's a shame that even at discount, the merch is still painfully expensive. Yeah, I was pretty much leaning towards navy and charcoal as well.

I realize this is probably a bad and most likely stupid analogy, but is there any gateway-type company for trousers and slacks -- like with raw denimz, most people start with A.P.C., very classic, relatively easy to procure (not really an issue with my locale), pretty moderately priced, and a good value. Anything like this ring any bells for some of the MC favorites?

I'm going to have to start paying closer attention to the WAYWRN thread, ****...

jbernard

Reaction score
Next ignorant question:

Is an Allen Edmonds Leeds both casual enough to wear with chinos and dressy enough to wear with a suit occasionally?

It could work for a suit. I would go for a fancier shoe though. Even to wear with jeans. I've never heard anyone criticize me for overdressing their shoes. I have only heard people compliment it. Assuming your not wearing a t-shirt.

Dragne

Reaction score
Just wondering on what people think about this pair of shoes. I know they're not the fanciest but for the price point is there something vastly better for me to get? Just curious if it's possible to assess the quality at all. I bought a pair of boots there this summer and have been pretty happy with them.

http://www.jose-markham.com/the-moty-black.html

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just wondering on what people think about this pair of shoes.  I know they're not the fanciest but for the price point is there something vastly better for me to get?  Just curious if it's possible to assess the quality at all.  I bought a pair of boots there this summer and have been pretty happy with them.

http://www.jose-markham.com/the-moty-black.html

Pay $50 + $50-100ish in duties more and you could get a pair of Meermin
http://www.styleforum.net/t/277707/meermin-carmina-2nd-brand

Last edited:

PattyPoo

Reaction score
Quick question gents...I have an athletic build and fit a 44R usually off the rack with a waist of 36. Where I run into problems is the sleeves of suit jackets in that they bunch in the arms. My upper arms are fairly developed and I'm not sure what the best solution is to this other than staying away from certain makes and styles. Problem is, a trim suit suits me very nicely. Can a tailor do anything about this? Or do I just have to choose carefully?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick question gents...I have an athletic build and fit a 44R usually off the rack with a waist of 36.  Where I run into problems is the sleeves of suit jackets in that they bunch in the arms.  My upper arms are fairly developed and I'm not sure what the best solution is to this other than staying away from certain makes and styles.  Problem is, a trim suit suits me very nicely.  Can a tailor do anything about this? Or do I just have to choose carefully?

A tailor can't make material where there is none. For people with extreme body types like yours, you're really best off going with made to measure.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a shame that even at discount, the merch is still painfully expensive. Yeah, I was pretty much leaning towards navy and charcoal as well.

I realize this is probably a bad and most likely stupid analogy, but is there any gateway-type company for trousers and slacks -- like with raw denimz, most people start with A.P.C., very classic, relatively easy to procure (not really an issue with my locale), pretty moderately priced, and a good value. Anything like this ring any bells for some of the MC favorites?

I'm going to have to start paying closer attention to the WAYWRN thread, ****... 

What price point are you trying to enter at?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Epaulet?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads