• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

scrolls

Reaction score
Been on a search for a grey/charcoal winter coat and am having no luck. I want it to be wool, above the knees and fairly simple. I like both of the coats below a lot but neither have slant pockets for your hands (am I the only person in the world who wants to keep their hands warm while wearing a coat?). Anyone have similar suggestions? Preferably under $700.

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Amok Chukkas: what color for the most fall versatility? Chocolate, Snuff or Tan? I'm usually a jeans & OCBD guy, with the occasional cords or chinos thrown in.

red81

Reaction score
does anyone know what a good "garden casual" outfit for a wedding in the caribbean would be?

i'm a total disaster in clothing, so some advice wouldn't hurt. i need everything, shoes , shirt, blazer?, pants, belt.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What would you pair this bowtie with?

http://www.pantaclothing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=bowtie15

I don't wear many white shirts.  And I'm not sure a blue/white college striped OCBD would work.  Not sure if I should pull the trigger on it, though the textures are interesting . ..

Yeah, that would work with a blue/white univeristy stripe. Besides white, a tan shirt could work as well. Maybe light blue, though while I tend to steer away from light blue against light blue, the brown might be enough resolve that. You could also look at checks- gingham would be a fun pairing (I have a green one that would work nicely), or a tattersall.

If you can return the Joseph A. Bank stuff, then that isn't a bad idea, as they are not really known for their quality on this board. However, $950 is not too bad for the stuff you got. Any recommendations for something similar from approved brands is going to cost you twice as much.

The quality is actually good for the price, as long as you understand that their base price is what they sell it for during their omnipresent 2/3rds off sale. That's normal retail. If you buy it at the posted retail, it's a very bad deal. Don't do that.

The thing they really (and rightly) get **** for is the fit. The stuff they offer is very generously cut, and fits like a sack on most people. If you go to a store and try stuff on- you may be able to make one of their fits work for you (though don't be shocked if you have to go down a size). And they're probably the best option around for low priced classic formalwear.

JBMarce21

Reaction score
Been on a search for a grey/charcoal winter coat and am having no luck. I want it to be wool, above the knees and fairly simple. I like both of the coats below a lot but neither have slant pockets for your hands (am I the only person in the world who wants to keep their hands warm while wearing a coat?). Anyone have similar suggestions? Preferably under $700.

Banana republic makes some good ones, and saks red or black label (can be found in store and for a steep discount at the outlets as well) are also good value for the money at under that price. the saks black label has a 100% cashmere one for about $800

IniNew

Reaction score
What's the general consensus on wearing orphaned suit pants? I was browsing through a couple Marshall's/Ross/Thrift stores looking for a solid grey, or light patterned wool pants but couldn't pull the trigger on anything thinking about the fact that they could be orphaned suit pants.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you can't tell if they are orphaned suit pants, what's the difference?

In general though, it probably depends on the pants.

LBC Demon

Reaction score
Speaking of pants I found a pair of Hickey Freeman wool trousers in a thrift store. Does anyone know what "Sport" is supposed to mean on the tag? Was that what the collection was called or what?

IniNew

Reaction score
Most of my doubt stemmed from the fact that I didn't even know where to look to tell the difference, but I suppose that's why it's rarely brought up--there isn't one.

red81

Reaction score
does anyone know what a good "garden casual" outfit for a wedding in the caribbean would be?

i'm a total disaster in clothing, so some advice wouldn't hurt. i need everything, shoes , shirt, blazer?, pants, belt.

bump?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Most of my doubt stemmed from the fact that I didn't even know where to look to tell the difference, but I suppose that's why it's rarely brought up--there isn't one.

There definitely is on many. Just not on all. And if you can't tell the difference, I really wouldn't worry about it. Just avoid anything that absolutely screams "I miss my jacket"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads