1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Any input on the shoe picture earlier? I'll post a pic or two of just the shoes later if that'll help.

2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

The 90 buck Aldo's? What's there to say?

3. constantme

constantme Member

not sure if this is the right way to ask a question for a quick reply....

Does anyone know the width of fabrics currently being sold by Gladson? The fabric I have in mind is a two ply 170's cotton...Is it 45" or 36"?

Thanks!

4. ridethecliche

Lets see how they hold up, but I think they look pretty good. Obviously, the devils in the details and the stitching isn't great... I'll probably wear them like once every week or two so I expect that I'll get atleast a couple of years out of them!

The uppers are softer than my AE's actually! I wanted to post pictures to show that I think that these are a great intermediary for boots that can be worn with jeans or a suit. I'll spend some time conditioning the leather and polishing them up over the weekend as well.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  5. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

You are likely confusing soft leather with thin. In addition, those boots should not be worn with suits. Enjoy them for what they are.

6. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Is this Drake's tie autenthic, or is it not part of the mainline? Notice the white label.
    [​IMG]

7. TheBlackDonDraper

TheBlackDonDraper Senior member

Hey what's this guys name?

I like his style [​IMG]

8. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

I'm going to check out a couple of places this weekend for MTM suiting. Some of their higher end ranges sound a little too good. Is there an issue with people peddling fake Dugdale Bros, Ariston, Dormeuil etc?
    If so is there anything in particular I can look out for on the swatches to make sure they are legit?

9. facet

facet Senior member

1 person likes this.
  10. ridethecliche

The AE fifth street boots had leather that was as thin as this but that felt more plastic-y. The CH boots I tried were pretty soft though, but I'm not sure I want to support CH as a brand any more unless I buy more of the old stock. Even 200 feels too high for cole haan given the brands current state. The leather on my AE daltons is about one and a half times as thick if not a little more. It's not as soft feeling though.

Really? They look like regular shoes with the pant legs over them. I guess my standards are low because I'm in the medical field at an academic center!

In any event, thanks I will! I might try wearing them with more formal pants to see what they look like, but I think they fit the void in my wardrobe perfectly!

11. Businessness

Businessness Well-Known Member

Will a pair of Chelsea boots be any more sturdy or durable than a pair of dress shoes from the same company

12. ridethecliche

From Aldo? Eh, I don't know. I'm not sure that I'd even wear Chelsea boots that much to be honest.

And if these boots hold their shape well and last a bit, I'm probably taking that as a sign of luck on my part than on quality on theirs. I've heard their made in china stuff is atrocious as they're basically 'fashion' shoes meant to last a season or two. These were made in mexico, so who knows maybe I'll get lucky!

13. David23

David23 Well-Known Member

Picked up a pair of captoes from eBay in my usual size. If I wear them "normally", toes touching the front of the shoe, it leaves enough space in the back that they can slip off with some minor effort. If I wear them with my heel lined up to the back of the shoe, I have some space in the front and it is semi-comfortable.

So question is how much wiggle room in the shoes is too much or appropriate?

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Sounds like it might be slightly big, but really depends on the last. My toes don't touch the front of my shoes in some lasts and they do in others. I don't think that the point is for the shoes to touch the front of the shoes though unless they are loafers.

1 person likes this.
  15. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Unless the shoes are too small for your feet, foot length actually doesn't have as much to do with proper fit as one might think. Check this out.

1 person likes this.
  16. JOLG

JOLG Member

I want to buy a shirt with a detachable wing collar. However, the collars I found so far (like this one: http://www.darcyclothing.com/shop/collars/standard-wing-stiff-collar-co110.html) are only available in steps of 0.5 inches, so there are only 15.5 and 16 while my regular collar size is 15.75. Is there any online shop that sells a 15.75 or should I just buy a 16? After wearing the wrong collar size for many years, I am afraid that there might be a collar gap with 16.

17. Lokesh

Lokesh Senior member

What is a good place to buy a relatively inexpensive cashmere scarf? I'm looking for solid grey and one in black maybe. Or light subdued patterns would be fine too.

Thanks.

18. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

How inexpensive? Because around the holiday season, there are places at the local shopping malls selling cashmere scarfs for $19 each, or two for $35. 'Course, I'm guessing they may not be the highest quality cashmere.

Jos A Bank carries lots of cashmere scarves for $130, currently on sale for $65. Again, maybe not the finest cashmere money can buy, but you did want relatively inexpensive, and the finest cashmere is seldom relatively inexpensive.

Lands' End has a couple of men's cashmere scarves for $99 each, I think. And finding a coupon good for 20-30% off is practically a given, which would knock the price down to maybe $75.

I recall seeing a variety of cashmere scarves at the local Brooks Bros. store, not long ago. I believe they were mostly priced at around $250, with a few for more like $350 and $500.

I'll somewhat arbitrarily assume that over $500 no longer qualifies as relatively inexpensive for a scarf. Well, at least for most of us.

19. Lokesh

Lokesh Senior member

Thanks this is really helpful!

I was hoping to get something around the $50 price point. I understand that I won't really get anything great for that much, but that's my budget for one right now.

When talking about quality in relation to these scarves, is it the durability of the material that is the main factor? Because if so, I don't mind because I don't wear scarves very often, and I keep my things relatively well so I can probably do fine with something cheap.

On the other hand, if getting cheap cashmere is no better than good wool in the same price range, then I would rather do wool.

Things around my neck irritate me, so I am looking for something very soft and comfortable.

Thanks for the help so far!

20. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

You can find Johnstons of Elgin 100% cashmere scarves for around £30 at Highland Store and Westaway. Retail prices are usually £100.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013