1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Depends on the office. I wear stuff like that every day. I've even worn orange pants.

It comes down to how formal the place is. Mine tends to be formal at times and informal at others. Kinda hard to explain but it works pretty well and if something I wear doesn't work at all, I can always change into scrubs for the day.

2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Yes. Slimming the sleeves is the same process as slimming the torso. In fact, it's one motion. The short is turned inside out and the tailor throws a new seam in taking in as much as desired. It's no more expensive to slim the torso and sleeves than it is to slim the torso alone.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

As a self-confessed style less noob, don't wear green shirts. Wear shirts that are solid white, solid light blue, or shirts that have fine blue stripes of fine light brown stripes. You can't go wrong with those.

1 person likes this.
  4. ridethecliche

Nah man. You gotta start somewhere. If you don't start experimenting with what works for you (if you're into that!) then you'll be wearing those shirts for life. Ain't nothin' wrong with that, but one could have so much more fun!

1 person likes this.
  5. ridethecliche

What's a reasonable price for having someone put a topy on your shoes? What if you bring the topy?

Is there a good source for half soles online? Thinking of having a pair of boots switched over to rubber half soles and making them the winter boots.

6. mimo

mimo Senior member

Just possibly not within the lofted realm of classic menswear.

However, I'm assuming the OP already owns that green shirt, in which case, fine. But keep it for a more casual look. It's not really right with the grey flannels: keep the shoes with it, because the colour contrast is very pleasant, but look to khakis/chinos and it will be a nice gentlemanly laid-back "off duty" look.

When it comes to proper work-wear though, Veremund speaks truth: nothing is better than a light blue shirt with a spread collar under a navy or charcoal suit. White under navy is also perfect business dress. Varying stripes, pale pink, and yes even light green, are workable. But take a lot of consideration, and are essentially unnecessary.

If you want to be bold, wear red socks. But never wear a bright shirt with a suit, unless you're in a rap video.

7. westhill

westhill Well-Known Member

Hey Jay, I think the tone of green looks quite vibrant ...almost Kelly or Emerald, and that's a tricky wear for a plain shirt . That said bright green is in fashion this Autumn so its just how to wear it . I would say part of an " informalist" or "posh-casual" look would be fine , certainly not for most work environments. Much easier would be a bottle green or olive or army/khaki green as that can be a great weekend shirt for Autumn. I bought the shirt below online the other week on SALE @ £20 GBP which was a bit of an impulse buy as I wouldn't normally choose this colour, but I've actually found it versatile with chinos, cords & grey flannels , and it feels right at this time of year. The contrast facings are a nice touch too & comes with 2 sets collar bones which is great as I always lose those guys .
    https://www.mark-stephen.co.uk/slim-fit-green-check-shirt-with-light-blue-contrast.html
    [​IMG]

8. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

That shirt looks terrible. Really awful. Don't wear it. Or, do your own experimenting as you suggest, in which case you needn't bother asking for advice.

9. westhill

I agree to a point..White can also be a great pleasure especially a sensational white shirt made with David & John Anderson in 2/300's poplin that costs an absolute fortune but the experience is incomparable ....but some days you don't want to wrap yourself in such luxury and sophistication and I just have to choose my Turnbull & Asser's ...for that unmistakeable Jermyn Street feeling . . colourful eccentrically English stripes and checks as worn by HRH The Prince Of Wales every day, so I am led to believe . Personally I would never wear light brown stripes.

10. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

But would you wear that bright turquoise green thing above?

11. ridethecliche

I would. I wear orange and red shirts too.

I guess it might be a skin tone thing. I'm brown so I look pretty awful wearing a white shirt in the winter since it makes me look sick. Blue oxfords are fine. I personally like houndstooth shirts as well as striped blue/white oxfords or check patterns as well.

I work in a hospital, not as a banker on wall street, so my dress can be business casual. I get away with wearing half sleeve 'oxford' shirts etc all the time because I look put together and dress them up with my shoe choices. At the same time, I can also wear scrubs at work so it's different than most people. The doctors I work with are usually in a suit or slack/blazer combo and I often wear a blazer to work, even though I don't have to at all.

The point is that you have to figure out what works for you by trying different things. That green shirt would look great with khakis, rust pants, black pants, or even a darker gray. You just have to even it out. If you're wearing that with salmon pants, you'll look ridiculous (which at times I do on purpose). If you're scared to try something and have it not work, you'll never find what works for you.

As for me, I realized that you have to dress according to your skin tone, so what might work for someone who is white might not look as good on someone who is brown or black. I realized this when I started dressing for work when things would just look a little off if I was copying what I saw white 'models' wearing in menswear catalogs etc. Sure you can get by doing the super traditional thing. It works and looks great. However, if you're trying to develop your own sense of style, then why not try something else?

YMMV

12. westhill

Verumund. Honestly speaking. No I absolutely wouldn't , an all over plain "bright turquoise green" is indeed a very tricky wear.
    However last week I was on the Tube and a guy got on wearing an expensive looking pair of pea-green suede full brogues with tan leather soles , with an otherwise well co-ordinated dark jacket, shirt, narrow grenadine tie , flannel trousers and horn-rimmed spectacles Now those green brogues are something I would never ever consider either but I found myself strangely fascinated all the way from Marylebone to Piccadilly Circus .... Of course nobody on the Tube speaks or catches the eye of anyone else, but staring at the floor or feet in general is perfectly acceptable. It made me think why is this one guy wearing these shoes when everyone else is wearing uniformly black Oxfords ?

13. Christophams

Christophams New Member

Hello!

At the end of the day, what cut is the more versatile pant? The Express Producer or Photographer?

Thanks!

14. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

15. ridethecliche

These are the black aldo boots I picked up. A little pricey for Aldo shoes at 90, but I think they look good. These ones were made in mexico, not china, as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. westhill

Sound point " ridethecliche" ...those of us pasty-faced by mid-October must choose more carefully.

17. jimanchower

jimanchower Senior member

I know sleeve length is a somewhat personal thing, but wanted to ask for some feedback anyway. Are these sleeves a bit too short, or just right? The cuff is buttoned in this picture.

[​IMG]

Secondly, and this sounds kind of silly, but what's the proper way to put on a jacket and get the shirt sleeves where they're supposed to be? If the shirt sleeve length and cuff diameter allow, one can pinch the cuff between one's fingers and the meaty part of the hand, pulling the sleeve through. That's just barely possible with the sleeves on this shirt, though. Or is the answer simply to have the cuff be tight enough to not ride too far up the wrist and pull the sleeve out once the jacket is on?

18. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

For a barrel sleeve (i.e. buttons, no cuff links) your length looks just fine. If the sleeve gets caught up inside the jacket sleeve when you put on your jacket, grab the cuff between your palm and fingers as you pull it through the sleeve - if the sleeve's too short, leave it unbuttoned so you can grab a corner of it to hold, and keep it in place while you don the jacket, then button it up after.

19. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

The length looks okay to me.

As you note, the "pinch shirt cuff while putting one's arm into jacket sleeve" approach is time tested and can prove fairly effective.

I can't believe that nobody's marketing some device which clips onto one's shirt sleeve cuff, and anchors to one's finger, preventing the shirt sleeve from riding up when one puts on a jacket. Surely, tens of thousands could be sold at $17.95 each, resulting in the brilliant inventor/marketer reaping a substantial profit. (Hey, I thought up the idea, so I want in on the ground floor.)

Alternatively, the shirt sleeve ride-up problem can be minimized by wearing jackets the sleeves of which aren't overly snug. Or, if the shirt sleeve does ride up a bit after putting on the jacket, reaching up into the jacket sleeve and tugging down the shirt sleeve via the use of thumb and forefinger of the opposite hand, is usually practical and can typically be done sufficiently unobtrusively so as to avoid attracting undue attention. (Of course, the old school, traditional rule has it that a gentleman does not remove his jacket in public. Such being the case, there would be no occasion for anyone else to see how you address this problem.)

Then again, perhaps this is an inherently trivial problem, and wasting more than half a second to it is excessive. But in a world where wars have been waged over which end of the soft boiled egg to crack (the bloody 18th century Endianess War, fought between the Lilliputs and the Blefescu, comes to mind), who is to say that a given issue is too unimportant to merit our attention, eh?

20. jimanchower

jimanchower Senior member

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen!