• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Zinse24

Reaction score
I was looking at C&J Cliffords in Barney's the other day as well. I thought the construction of the Church's was pretty good as well. But I know C&J from previous experience is a shoe for a lifetime. Which other options do you recommend under $800.00

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I was looking at C&J Cliffords in Barney's the other day as well. I thought the construction of the Church's was pretty good as well. But I know C&J from previous experience is a shoe for a lifetime. Which other options do you recommend under $800.00

C&J over Church for sure. Also check out Carmina.

Zinse24

Reaction score
C&J it is. Carmina I can't say I've never heard of them but now that I do. I will consider them.

JGCR

Reaction score
Hello all-
I have a quick qustion: my chest measures 41". When buying off-the-rack sport coats that come in two inch gradations, is it best to go one inch smaller, or one inch bigger? 42R looks good on me, I think, but the shoulders do generally stick out a bit. 40R feels a bit tight across the back.
Thanks.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello all-
I have a quick qustion: my chest measures 41". When buying off-the-rack sport coats that come in two inch gradations, is it best to go one inch smaller, or one inch bigger? 42R looks good on me, I think, but the shoulders do generally stick out a bit. 40R feels a bit tight across the back.
Thanks.

Varies from brand to brand. I would try on both and go with whichever fits better.

Mathius

Reaction score
I really hope I don't get blasted for this due to my fashion ineptitude, but here it goes:

For Halloween, I am throwing a costume together last minute and of course I need to order things. I'm going with a 1920's style English golf gent...of sorts, and I am ordering a pair of plus twos, or plus fours (knickerbocker/golf trousers) and I need to know what colors are going to go with some clothing I already have. I already have a medium grey news boy cap and a light blue v-neck sweater. I have a decent Michael Kors dress shirt and tie that go well with the sweater (I know, not 20's style, but bear with me). I also have a pair of nice brown shoes. My overall question is, will the brown shoes go with the grey news boy cap and corresponding plus twos? If so, what color socks do I wear? Argyle? Solid color?

Thanks in advance, gents. I really appreciate the help!

- Matt

Mathius

Reaction score
This was a duplicate post. I tried to delete it, but for the life of me and I cannot figure out how. I run another forum and our set up is very different. A mod can delete this if need be. Apologies!

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You've pretty much answered your own question. The fabric and pattern of suit trousers will often be different from standard trousers.

It wasn't a question. I was curious as to whether the vague comments about the difference between trousers and orphan trousers extended beyond fabric in the opinions of the posters.

There have been threads in which several have opined that there is a difference, other than buttons, between a navy blazer and a navy orphan jacket. The people who believed there is a difference vacated the discussion when asked to list the differences.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really hope I don't get blasted for this due to my fashion ineptitude, but here it goes:

For Halloween, I am throwing a costume together last minute and of course I need to order things.  I'm going with a 1920's style English golf gent...of sorts, and I am ordering a pair of plus twos, or plus fours (knickerbocker/golf trousers) and I need to know what colors are going to go with some clothing I already have.  I already have a medium grey news boy cap and a light blue v-neck sweater.  I have a decent Michael Kors dress shirt and tie that go well with the sweater (I know, not 20's style, but bear with me).  I also have a pair of nice brown shoes.  My overall question is, will the brown shoes go with the grey news boy cap and corresponding plus twos?  If so, what color socks do I wear?  Argyle? Solid color?

Thanks in advance, gents.  I really appreciate the help!

- Matt 

Brown shoes are fine. Argyles are a good choice for the look you are going for.

jmills

Reaction score
Gents, what is the appropriate practice for choosing the colour of one's braces, and which purchases would be the most versatile?

I am guessing something complementing but not matching shirt & tie would be pleasing to the eye. This would mean that crimson/wine, darkish green and navy would cover most situations. I see that Thurston also has white, grey, and black offerings. Thoughts?

Celadon

Reaction score
I have a newbie question (sorry if this has been asked before, but the search function is a bit blunt): TM Lewin has a large selection of cheap but nice-looking ties in geometrical patterns. I recently ordered a few, but was disappointed when I received them with how thick they were. None of my older ties, including some English ties and some old, inherited ones, feels like this. Their thickness is almost mattress-like, as if there was a thinnish layer of foam inside. I find it difficult to get a nice knot with these ties.

So before I order any more ties via the internet, I would like to know, how common or typical is this type of thick tie? Is it just TML, or all cheap British ties? Are there even high-end ties that have this type of thickness? What brands should I buy or avoid?

Another question: any thoughts about somehow un- or relining these ties? They're cheap enough that I might attempt to dissect one and do it myself, but has anyone tried this? What kind of material should I use to replace the current lining?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads