• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arterton - Official Affiliate Thread: Signature Garment Bag, Yearn Shoemaker, Nakata Hanger, Clothes Doctor, Dismantlable Umbrella

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Our British Racing Green handles are proving quite popular -- more than I estimated. Whilst I've always loved the colour, I thought I was being quite idiosyncratic. The colour pairs beautifully with most blues and pretty much all browns. The idea is that it needs some contrast.

Just got this picture back from post-processing (navy bag + green handle):

arterton_british_racing_green_handle.jpg

As the name of the colour suggests, its heritage is taken from motorsport, but has made its way into high-end furniture and leathercraft, amongst other things. At this rate, we might see it kitchen appliances! Perhaps, Nespresso, Kitchenaid, or Bosch can make one for us (quick, someone do a photoshop)!

Nonetheless, in recent years, the colour has become somewhat of a British-ism. I don't know if you would agree with that.

arterton_brg.jpg

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Season's greetings everybody! It's time to celebrate! Arterton would like to wish you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas. Here's to a wonderful 2022.

arterton_xmas_card_2021.png

P.S. Meet 'Artie' -- an English Foxhound by blood, but also our brand Mascot.

christmas2021_artie.jpg

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Et voila, the very tasty, OXF 338 from Yearn:​
  • Brown Patina Captoe
  • Hand-welted
  • Museum Calf from the Bonaudo Tannery (Italy)
oxf_338_arterton_dec2021.jpg

The term 'Museum Calf' refers to calf leather that has been treated by the tannery to result in a subtle, marbled-like effect. The, now, defunct Italian tannery 'Ilcea' was the first to do it, and the style was popularised by John Lobb Paris.​

FYI, we just had a quick restock from a short shipment of some of the larger sizes. As of this moment, these will ship to clients immediately (fits TTS):

BTS 227 (UK10-11)
BTS 226 (UK 10-11)
OXF 338 (UK 9.5-11)
OXF 719 (UK 9.5-11)

The rest will be ready later this month. As always, for Styleforum members, use 'SFARTERTON' for 10% off.

Last edited:

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We just received some fresh footage that offers some insight into the kind of work that goes into producing a Nakata Hanger.

I made a short write-up on our Instagram, but since this is "Styleforum", it's worth elaborating in detail here on the fascinating differences between planing and sanding in woodworking. And, in this case, the interesting tidbits concerning the traditional method of Japanese hand-planing.

The video depicts one of Nakata's artisans in the later stages of hanger production. After an approximate shape is cut from a wooden block using a modern band saw, the hanger needs to be further refined into shape.

It was, for a long time, the modern western approach to mechanically sand the wood into shape -- and most factories in the world will do the same for cost reasons. However, the artisan in the video uses a traditional Japanese tool called the nankin kanna (南京鉋) to hand-plane to shape the hanger. Notice that the artisan pulls the nankin kanna towards themselves, rather than push away as is common in Western woodworking.

The benefit of this is that the grain of the wood remains intact, as mechanical sanding will bend over the fibres and "smear the grain", as it were. Now, if one were, say, slapping some thick paint on it, then I suppose that this wouldn't matter so much. But, on the other hand, if one wanted to preserve the grain for aesthetic reasons, then this matters greatly.

The other argument for hand-planing, I am told, is that it results in an ultra-smoother finish, which is not present in ordinary hangers. This is due to the effect of the blade evenly peeling wood back (Interestingly, it is thought that is the mark of a master craftsman to have long wood shavings.) In contrast, sanding results in a rougher surface, up-close. Perhaps, a microscope will reveal the mini valleys and hills that sanding creates. A quick search on Google seems to corroborate this by the mention of "surface fuzziness".

Interesting stuff!

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Welcome and best of luck!

Was taking a look at the shoes and they look great!

@Betelgeuse Thank you very much for the kind words and wishes! Speaking of the shoes, we've just posted some stills of Yearn's new Balmoral Boots (BTS 226):

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Will write a longer post in the future but I ordered some stuff from @arterton, including the Yearn oxfords. Service was excellent. Absolutely top notch and the shoes are great. I need to do a closer inspection but they really do look like good value. Last shape looks great, good quality leather and finishing looks good.

@arterton, considering getting a Fox umbrella. Any chance one can change the handle shape to the fox head? Thanks for the great service. Been tied up on a deal and haven't had a chance to reach out.

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Ranjeev Thanks for the kind words and for sharing them with the community. Good luck with the deal!

Regarding the Fox umbrellas, we can certainly help. I will send you a PM to understand more of your preferences and take it from there.

Doberman (Silver) vs Fox (Gold) heads.
doberman_head_silver.jpg foxhead_gold.jpg

Last edited:

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Our January re-stock of Yearn Shoemaker is coming soon (image shows partial shipment)! It's very exciting for us to work with a brand that is increasingly gaining recognition, and rightly so!

arterton_yearn_uk_restock.jpg

We hope to be one of the largest, stockholders of high-end, hand-welted Chinese footwear in the UK (and Europe), with immediate dispatch capabilities and easy returns/exchanges!

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello everybody. A lot of people in North America and Europe weren't familiar with Nakata Hanger, but were curious. So, we wanted to do something to help give people a better look.

We've just posted two videos of myself introducing two styles of the Nakata Hanger (split into two videos because of Instagram's reel limit), which might help shed some light!

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just a heads-up, almost all sizes of Yearn Shoemaker have now been re-stocked in the UK! That means if it's available in the shop, then it will ship immediately.

20% VAT is taken off for all orders outside the UK (e.g. to USA, Canada, or continental Europe). And use SFARTERTON for an additional 10% off. We have a soft policy of free paid returns for all orders until Feb 28th. So, if there's a time to try Yearn, it would be now!

arterton_yearn_bts226.jpg
Yearn BTS 226 Balmoral Boots (hand-welted) in Burgandy

arterton_yearn_oxf338.jpg
Yearn OXF338 (hand-welted)

Last edited:

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@clee1982
Indeed, very tasty, tasty. Thank you.

They are so light for boots, I feel like I can run 100m in them (if my fitness allows me to pass the 15m mark).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
by the way you probably clarified before but is TTS here mean CJ/JL TTS (9.5 US = 8.5 UK) or EG/GG TTS (9.5 US = 9 UK)

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
by the way you probably clarified before but is TTS here mean CJ/JL TTS (9.5 US = 8.5 UK) or EG/GG TTS (9.5 US = 9 UK)
@clee1982

Yeah, such a great question! There never seems to be any consistency between makes.

But, for Yearn Shoemaker, which is TTS, we would say there is one full size down from USA to UK. So, if you are 9.5 US, then it will be 8.5 UK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads