• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these boots SF approved?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peal & Co. black chelsea boots purchased through BB?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...duct_Id=997154

My sartorial instincts around shoes never progressed beyond the Andre Agassi Nike Air pumps in the mid-80s, so I bought the above on a recommendation from someone.

Cheers - and thanks for any direction!

Since I'm verbose I can't help filling in with some more background -- my "nice" shoe collection now is rather small:

- Black LV Dress Loafers (don't worry NO logo)
- Medium Brown LV Dress Loafers (don't worry NO logo)

Everything else is more casual, such as Mephisto loafers, etc. I need to improve my shoe collection, and in general, I've checked out the Aldens of the world but they seem a little staid to me although I admire the construction.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Peal & Co. is SF approved, however LV is not. You should stick to shoemakers that have a lasting reputation for shoes, not just a "designer" label.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Peal is an approved shoemaker, though I'm not a fan of Chelsea boots. They'd get a better reception in SW&D I would think.

EDIT - Also, the idea of a loafer as a "dress shoe" is off base. Loafers are definitely more casual than lace ups, even though they can often work with suits. You need some lace up shoes before you go off into boot territory. Get a black or burgundy cap toe.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Peal & Co. is SF approved, however LV is not. You should stick to shoemakers that have a lasting reputation for shoes, not just a "designer" label.

Awesome - that's what I needed to hear!

Interestingly, my LVs are two years old and still going strong. Is there a time period where it's uncouth to wear the same shoes?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot see anything generally wrong with those boots, althoug, being a fan of Chelsea boots, I must say that I personally do not fancy black calf. My first choice would be brown suede, then brown calf, then (assuming that I skip grey, green and blue) black suede. For black calf, I would choose something "dressier", I think.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
I cannot see anything generally wrong with those boots, althoug, being a fan of Chelsea boots, I must say that I personally do not fancy black calf. My first choice would be brown suede, then brown calf, then (assuming that I skip grey, green and blue) black suede. For black calf, I would choose something "dressier", I think.

Good call. I have a lot of less-dressy brown boots and shoes, so I figured I go black. I have seen dressier black cheseas - they seem to have a sleeker profile, and usually a little something something on the heel. The problem is, I'm not crazy about the Prada and other brands' chelseas. Do you have any one you'd recommend?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads