• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody not particularly like black shoes

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
He only has eight posts, maybe this one can be saved from SF. Leave child, save yourself!!!! Quick!!! Don't retort!!!

I didn't mean to insult him....

I used to like Alden's shoe when I was 16...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blurv
There are many brown hues but only one black. Black shoes are more formal and elegant in my opinion, but since they're easy to pair with about anything they can be a sort of "safe" pick in an outfit. Maybe conservative is a better word.

There are many black hues, you just can't see them.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its too late for him, he has been exposed and there is no turning back.

I would bet money that in six months his favorite pair of shoes are disgarded or used for performing oil changes on his car (the only reasonable use I ever found for Florsheims).

lenahan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
What? Who taught you that? It is truely a sad day when Florsheims are your favorite pair of shoes
musicboohoo[1].gif

I was being facetious. In fact, the reason I love the shoes are the memories associated with them. But I do prefer black shoes, as I find they work best with grey trousers, which I wear most often. Further I had been under the impression that this forum existed to discuss a hobby we all share and to give advice and recommendations, not to insult those whose decisions about their own sartorial style you question. Recommendations and advice are fine, but insulting those who are relatively new to this forum and to this hobby is not helpful either to the forum or to those who come to this forum seeking advice and to those seeking individuals who share a common interest.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lenahan
I was being facetious. In fact, the reason I love the shoes are the memories associated with them. But I do prefer black shoes, as I find they work best with grey trousers, which I wear most often.

Further I had been under the impression that this forum existed to discuss a hobby we all share and to give advice and recommendations, not to insult those whose decisions about their own sartorial style you question. Recommendations and advice are fine, but insulting those who are relatively new to this forum and to this hobby is not helpful either to the forum or to those who come to this forum seeking advice and to those seeking individuals who share a common interest.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, everyone is here to help you. However, if you start handing out advice before you know what you are talking about, you may get ragged on. Backing up your point with "Florshiems are my favorte shoes" is not going to do you any favors.

What makes you think that black works "best" with grey? I wear greay and charcoal all the time with beautiful brown...

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I didn't mean to insult him....

I used to like Alden's shoe when I was 16...

at 16???

ShoesYouCanUse

Reaction score
Come on Dude !!!

Black is Beautiful !!!

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
No love for these? Bought them yesterday
devil.gif

My next pair will be a pair of black double monks. I'm in the brown camp btw; got 7 pairs of decent browns and no decent black shoes anymore. Those quoted are OK, but not great imo. The stitching reminds me of the Grenson Kent. I wouldn't be surprised if your double monks were made by Grenson.
kent.jpg

Canary Wharf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I really don't like black shoes. I'd say about 90% of the time, I'm wearing brown shoes. Obviously black shoes are a staple and you need a few pairs, but they are so uninteresting that I generally just get a wholecut or cap toe.

give me a nicely patina'ed brown shoe every day of the week with both grey and navy.

I can't be alone on this, but I'm sure I will get
ffffuuuu.gif
a bit

Playing to the gallery here I think?

I would disagree. Black for town (EG Asquiths + CJ Audleys) browns and tans for leisure time.

Call me conservative but...

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black is sexy.

Brown is smart.

bwp

Reaction score
I agree with the OP, I have a pair of black AE's that I have never worn. IMO black shoes only go with a black suit, and since black suits are rarely appropriate my black shoes never get worn.

However, prior to finding SF I wore black shoes almost every day...

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
And JM WESTON...

wow! at 16 i was think jordans and stan smiths

glowell222

Reaction score
I don't own or wear burgundy shoes....

I have brown, black, navy, tan, all in constant rotation. To me, the worst thing in the world is a square-toed shoe (full-on square blocks, not chiseled or soft square), followed by (and usually accompanying) cheap shoes with a suit. Pointy toed shoes=awful.

I'm sure none of you care about my preferences, and I assure you that I return the favor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics