• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody not particularly like black shoes

schrag

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
No love for these? Bought them yesterday
devil.gif

Beautiful, I think some double monk straps are next on my shoe-list, but they seem very hard to find. Do you think the design would work well for someone with a high instep?

I'd not mind getting them in black either, as all my non-streetwear shoes are brown. I share the sentiment that the patina on brown shoes is more interesting, but a quality pair of well maintained black shoes with a nice cap toe or brogueing detail can still be appreciated. Of course, it's unfortunate that black is the default choice those who buy and wear cheap, scuffed and faded outlet-mall clunkers to work.

ajv

Reaction score
I am not a fan of black shoes, but there are certain times/places when black is required. Think of funerals or certain very conservative workplaces.
And versatility is essential for me, so there goes, black, brown, tan, burgundy, oxblood, green, purple, blue...etc.

Adrian

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
i have a pair of brown loafers from that line. they are great no? beautiful finsh, meticulous detailing, and super comfortable
smile.gif

I'd agree although not perfect, they are definitely a step up in construction and finish over the Guccis I own. My only complaint is that one of the heels is not properly level so I may need to have a good cobbler look at that.

Originally Posted by schräg
Beautiful, I think some double monk straps are next on my shoe-list, but they seem very hard to find. Do you think the design would work well for someone with a high instep?

Thank you, I obviously agree
smile.gif
I'm not much of a single monk fan but the double, it works for me. I really like how they looked tonight paired with jeans and the lower shiny buckle showing. I got very lucky finding these and a killer deal so I coudn't pass them up.

As for fit, these are labelled an 8D - I assume this is US sizing based on my other dress shoes which are all 7.5-8 (40.5-41EU) US. I'm on the last notch of the straps and need a little break-in for these to fit well as I have a fairly wide foot and average-to-high instep, my guess is if you aren't pushing the width as much as I am then it would have a little more room for a higher instep.

Hope nobody minds, here is a full size pic inline. I need to give them a good buffing & dress some of the sole, it's amazing what cameras pick up.

Zegna%20XXX%20Double%20Monk.jpg

And to the original point of this thread - I wouldn't kick a patinated brown pair out of my closet...

gwolf

Reaction score
i like black more than brown actually. only have one very formal pair. plain toe oxford. they're so elegant.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
I am not a fan of black shoes, but there are certain times/places when black is required. Think of funerals or certain very conservative workplaces.
And versatility is essential for me, so there goes, black, brown, tan, burgundy, oxblood, green, purple, blue...etc.

Adrian

That's the great thing with bespoke..

Anthony can do you any colour you do want...

I wear my racing green Delos today.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
facepalm.gif

Nobody gets me.

Meanwhile, I have always heard and tried to adhere to the no brown shoes after 6 PM. Maybe it's just an urban myth?

No brown shoes after 6 P.M.

And women at that time were also confined to their kitchens...

Ebonyman

Reaction score
I have plenty of both. I just like the look of a freshly polished black captoe or wingtip with certain suits (navy included).

I must say though that most of my shoes are various shades of brown. My most recent purchase was a nice pair of double monk Ferrargamos.Attachment 64455

Chrenetique

Reaction score
Strangely, this thread compels me to buy my first pair of black shoes.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
facepalm.gif

Nobody gets me.

Meanwhile, I have always heard and tried to adhere to the no brown shoes after 6 PM. Maybe it's just an urban myth?

No brown shoes after 6 P.M.

I guess I missed that one.

lenahan

Reaction score
NO BROWN IN TOWN!

I largely prefer black shoes. My absolute favorite pair of shoes are my black Florsheim Brogues. I have beaten them to hell and back, but after a polish they come back to love. I love those shoes.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lenahan
NO BROWN IN TOWN!

I largely prefer black shoes. My absolute favorite pair of shoes are my black Florsheim Brogues. I have beaten them to hell and back, but after a polish they come back to love. I love those shoes.

What? Who taught you that?

It is truely a sad day when Florsheims are your favorite pair of shoes
musicboohoo[1].gif

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't go through all the pages since this post is huge now, but a couple of my thoughts after going on a shoe shopping spree of about 20 pairs over the last year (SF addiction!):

1. Black shoes are more formal than brown
2. Black calf looks better than black cordovan
3. Black cordovan looks like plastic, and brown cordovan is much preferred

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
What? You taught you that?

It is truely a sad day when Florsheims are your favorite pair of shoes
musicboohoo[1].gif

Florsheims?

Ouch...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lenahan
NO BROWN IN TOWN!

Originally Posted by lasbar
Florsheims?

Ouch...

He only has eight posts, maybe this one can be saved from SF. Leave child, save yourself!!!! Quick!!! Don't retort!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads