• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Recs for a Minimalist Bed?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used to have Ikea Malm, and so did a few of my friends - those things are pretty damn bulletproof and like $150.

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Used to have Ikea Malm, and so did a few of my friends - those things are pretty damn bulletproof and like $150.

I'll second this.

Cheap, seems strong enough, minimal styling.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
honestly, I'd go to a discount mattress store and buy the most comfortable matress that you can find. then measure it, go to home depot and and get 2 X 4's and some half inch plywood. put 6 pieces of 2X4 the length of your matress on the floor and then nail 4 pieces of half inch plywood that are each 1/4 the size of your mattress to the 2X4's. this is as sturdy a bed as you could want, your matress is 4.5 inches off the floor and the whole thing costs you about as much as a dust ruffle in a furnature store. you really don't need anything more expensive that that until you are married.
I like this idea, except that my version of it, is finding the bed frame you really want and simply duplicating it yourself. If your budget is $400-$500 you could most likely frame it out in a solid American hardwood. Beds are pretty simple, you could certainly build one with a chopsaw, a router, and some finishing supplies. And nothing like telling the girl who you're laying on it with, that the solid (hardwood) bed she's laying on is something you built and finished yourself. I would want to build something like this:
wat_2_md.jpg
With tapered legs instead of the curved ones.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standart metal slat frame with no footboard or headboard (often free with purchase of a mattress).
Order 4 or 5-for the center. massive wooden legs (your choice of wood, stain, lenght, thickness etc) from a local lumber yard or wood shop. Ask em to drill them like cups in which you put the metal frame's legs (add felt pads to wooden legs).
All project cost is less than a $150.00.

Then you can contemplate which headboard you want to design and attach to the wall straight over/behind the bed. That of course if you want any headboard.

Don't ever buy assedembly required garbage from Ikea or any other stylish furniture stores. They are junk that would squeak after a few months.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
seng1.jpg

Yea but you need shocks with that package otherwise you might never sleep and always be sea-sick
smile.gif

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I went to Ikea, bought a cheap Pine platform bed. Drove to Walmart, bought a queen smart foam mattress. It's comfortable, and works, and looks ok, and it only cost like $200 total.. $150 to Ikea, and $50 for the mattress (I think?).

gnagy

Reaction score
Does any one have any information on where I can buy one or instructions on how to build one?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz

Don't ever buy assedembly required garbage from Ikea or any other stylish furniture stores. They are junk that would squeak after a few months.

Not in my experience. Had an IKEA bed for a good 6 years, which was assembled and disassembled at least 10 times for various moves. Gave it to the sis, and it is still pretty solid for the $250 or so I paid for it. You probably just need to learn how to use an allen wrench and follow assembly instructions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads