Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any Recs for a Minimalist Bed?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by emptym, Oct 8, 2008.

1. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Dwell

2. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i had this bed:

[​IMG]

too low down for me. moved it to our guest room but i liked the look of it.

3. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

check out charlesprogers.com. I particularly like the "tiger mohogany" platform they have.

your frame doesn't have to be pretty, unless you want it to be. If you got the ends, I don't see why you can't get something nice now that you can carry into the first years of your marriage. I imagine when that time comes you got more important things to worry about than buying a new bed.

But buy a good mattress. You spend a 1/3 of your life on that thing. I have a mattress I bought about 8 years ago. I have it on an Ikea platform bed. i never flip the damn thing. I'm pretty sure that piece of crap has screwed my shoulder and my back.

I just bought a tempurpedic, but haven't had a chance to use it yet (in the middle of a move).

Good luck!

4. rilian

rilian Senior member

My two faves:

Ikea MALM in espresso or oak veneer
    George Nelson Case Study Bed in walnut (I have this bed)

5. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Still haven't bought anything.

Really like that platform bed too, TR.

6. Matt

Matt [email protected]

i got a dude by the side of the road to make my bed from steel i bought scrap. I think I paid him 25 bucks (and another 12 for the steel). Guy who normally welds up holes in motorbike mufflers. Was quite the experience.

It was a knockoff of something someone posted on here a while back. Found the thread, but the link to the pic is gone unfortunately.

7. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Drive to New Hope, PA and buy a Nakashima platform bed. Every few years, buy another piece of Nakashima for your bedroom. In a decade or so you'll be rollin' deep.

8. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

If you want visually minimalist, why not just buy one of the box-sprung mattresses that are designed to be fitted with wooden legs to form a complete bed? Add a top mattress and you have something very comfortable, visually minimalist and space efficient. Ikea do a range of these.

9. dl20

dl20 Senior member

I have the peter maly bed and love it

dl

10. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Thanks for the new set of recs, everyone. Took a look at CB2's beds this weekend. Very close to what I want...

11. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

I forgot what they are called....those japanese roll up futons you can put on the floor and roll up when your not sleeping..

12. Roy

Roy Senior member

Thanks for the new set of recs, everyone. Took a look at CB2's beds this weekend. Very close to what I want...

http://beds-bedding.nl/bedden/index....nid=01&page=02 (it's in dutch, but you can look at the pictures)

These are some of the things I sell. Very good quality. I'm not sure whether they're sold where you live but may be it's nice for some inspiration.

13. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Emp,

I'm probably being incredibly cheap, but that Min bed link you linked, is that just a frame?

A frame for $700?

You do know that if you just buy a mattress they will give you a metal frame for free?

since you are single, I'd recommend just a good enough mattress with the generic frame. Once you get married, let the Mrs. do the picking.

Fok that.

14. Tangerz

Tangerz Active Member

I forgot what they are called....those japanese roll up futons you can put on the floor and roll up when your not sleeping..

Shiki futons, and yeah I sleep on them. (I live by myself in a small room though)

Here is where I bought mine from. You do have to get a thicker pillow to adjust for the thinness of the bed, but I find it entirely sufficient for my needs.

15. Riley Dee

Riley Dee Senior member