• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ Very nice, I like the high back.

Picked this Windsor settee up today. Amazing condition and construction quality. The picture is a little distorted, the arms don't jut out the way they seem to in the photo and neither do the leather bound edges.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great in your place. Leather seat??? I love it , never saw anything like that, looks like custom order.
It seems to me it is just you and me buddy, no one interested in anything before 1950s ...Give me Mid-century or give me Death!

On a different note , I am upholstering that chair I have posted , will post when it is done. Not sure about my fabric choice but we will see.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Looks great in your place. Leather seat??? I love it , never saw anything like that, looks like custom order.
It seems to me it is just you and me buddy, no one interested in anything before 1950s ...Give me Mid-century or give me Death!

On a different note , I am upholstering that chair I have posted , will post when it is done. Not sure about my fabric choice but we will see.

I liked the fabric that chair had very much, too bad there was a tear. Its condition seemed excellent otherwise. No hope of a repair?

That windsor was a custom order, its almost new. The lady I bought it from ordered it and didn't seem bothered about money and the huge loss she was taking. The more I detail over it, the more I am impressed, its a very solid piece.

I am a bit surprised there is not more uptake. Either there are very few of us, or its slow to gain traction. I am guessing more will join in. I buy stuff pretty regularly, so I've got plenty to post.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabric was good , but it was 100% cotton and dried out. It would split if you breathe on it and it had more tears than the picture shows. So I had to do the inevitable .
New stuff: One is a nicely made red-coat grunt to guard my antique books.
And another one , well I just bid the minimum and got this oil painting from 1933 in good condition and painted by professional artists (not some housewife). You never know what you going to get, but in this case I am happy. Painting is going back to Europe to my vacation apartment.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are thousands of the terriers out there. And thousands of knock offs.

Speaking of bronzes I can across a matched pair of foo dogs at an auction preview today:

869601.jpg

This picture doesn't do them justice. They stand 48" tall, 40" deep and 22" wide. The back is covered with beautiful spikes. Not traditional as the male doesn't have his paw on the world and the female is without cub, but still pretty spectacular. Heavy as hell and need stands.

Am now trying to talk the leftette into them.

lefty

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fabric was good , but it was 100% cotton and dried out. It would split if you breathe on it and it had more tears than the picture shows. So I had to do the inevitable .
New stuff: One is a nicely made red-coat grunt to guard my antique books.
And another one , well I just bid the minimum and got this oil painting from 1933 in good condition and painted by professional artists (not some housewife).

Nice painting, and that's a nice frame too. Many times the you get a piece of art and the frame by itself is worth more than you paid. I've seen some **** paintings in really nice frames that nobody bids on. I have about 8 or 10 nice frames waiting for something nice to put them in.

There are thousands of the terriers out there. And thousands of knock offs.

Speaking of bronzes I can across a matched pair of foo dogs at an auction preview today:

Am now trying to talk the leftette into them.

Those are smoking nice, wow. **** man, I'd love to have those. Those are going to fetch some $$.

Re the terriers, knockoffs like fakes or knockoffs like other companies made similar ones? If there are fakes out there I was not aware.

Speaking of fetching money, I am always blown away by what Chinese jardinieres get. I don't understand it.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. You are right about frames. Although the one I got is modern, there are some fantastic deals to have on real antique frames the way you r buying them-( **** picture in a nice frame).
Are those dogs destined for the garden? I don't get most Asian art except calligraphy, porcelain or watercolors. In the case of dogs , I think they'd be nice in a yard getting patina, but I cannot imagine them inside the house.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks. You are right about frames. Although the one I got is modern, there are some fantastic deals to have on real antique frames the way you r buying them-( **** picture in a nice frame).
Are those dogs destined for the garden? I don't get most Asian art except calligraphy, porcelain or watercolors. In the case of dogs , I think they'd be nice in a yard getting patina, but I cannot imagine them inside the house.

I could see those dogs next to a wood stove, they'd radiate a lot of heat. You'd need a big room so they would look in place.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Re the terriers, knockoffs like fakes or knockoffs like other companies made similar ones? If there are fakes out there I was not aware.

Both I think. There are some that are rough copies - identical pose and size but seem a little soft around the edges. Like something that's been copied too many times.

I'd rather have them inside, though I do have the perfect spot around an outside door. If we buy I'd like to keep them pristine and avoid oxidation.
I could see those dogs next to a wood stove, they'd radiate a lot of heat. You'd need a big room so they would look in place.

They're big enough that you could roast something inside: christmas turkey, suckling pig, enemies.

lefty

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If we buy I'd like to keep them pristine and avoid oxidation. 

lefty

If you promise not to bid on Chesterfield ,I promise not to bid on your foo dogs, :D

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you go to the preview?

lefty

I was planing to go but talked myself out of it . However Dole is online , catalogue is available for anyone to see, so the price might go high due to all internet poachers:)

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dogs went for 2K. Was hoping to steal them for 1K or so as they came out of an estate and I thought they may just want to dump them. Oh well.

lefty

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dogs went for 2K. Was hoping to steal them for 1K or so as they came out of an estate and I thought they may just want to dump them. Oh well. lefty
3K after you add 25% comission and 7% NYC yax.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads