Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by idfnl, Jan 5, 2013.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Auction last night, picked up 2 nice pieces:

Flame mahogany bowfront 5 drawer chest. Keys and locks work. Its small, about 42in tall x 22in wide. Had to fight for it, its much nicer than the shitty auction pic. I'll take some photos once I give it a clean and place it.

[​IMG]

This little side table. The patina is actually super nice, but the photo make it look like caked polyurethane. Again, will photograph.

[​IMG]

And picked up this print recently. Really nice frame job from a shop in London.

[​IMG]

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

What period is that cabinet? Nice finds.

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing its 1910 - 1935. I'm leaning early, it has wear on the drawer rails that make it dip when closed and seem misaligned. That takes time to develop unless it was heavily used. It's a minor repair but does help place its age.

4. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    IDFNL you are buying really diverse things, imho. How do you marry them in your home or do you have 5,000 sq feet American residence where everything dissapears?:)

That bow-front cabinet would look sweet in a bathroom (towel cabinet?). just my 2 cents . Sorry.

Bought this cause my grand ma had one (I don't think her version had a dick): [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Goddam, that's a pretty big hog on that dude.

It's true, I do buy very diverse stuff. My house is not huge, maybe 3500+ sq feet. I think the marriage comes from diversity. If everything was Victorian and I bring in some Asian cabinet it would look off, but when everything is a mix of periods and styles it melds. My house might not suit everyone's taste, but I buy what I like often with no thought of where it will actually go in the house.

By the way, here is that chest from a previous post:'

[​IMG]

And this is a small arts and crafts cherry table/plant stand I got recently:

[​IMG]

6. SkinnyGoomba

Who made the arts and crafts table?

Can I talk you into removing the random pot from that cabinet?

7. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Do you have a picture of the carpet next to the art and crafts? I think it is very interesting. Is it a large one? I am looking for large antique carpet and would love to have a lot of blue and orange in it. BTW your house is huge by any standards.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I have no idea, but it was a decent craftsman, the fit and finish is quite good. Its a very hard cherry wood, you can tell it was well thought thru.

Ha ha, you can, but would it change your thoughts if you knew that table served as a transition from my kitchen area to dining room? Again, I have strange taste in decor but folks that see my home say it works. You'd never think a bedroom cabinet like that would work in that spot but it seems to. Anyway, the copper pot and wooden Scandinavian cheese plate do fit the space. I have some Delft blue pottery I can place there, I haven't tried it.

That rug is an Afgnan tribal, I can take some pics of it. Its a nice rug but not terribly valuable. The most valuable carpet I have it shredded to shit, its a Ferahan Sarouk from the 1880's and is worth thousands. My father (useless) suggested I throw it away. I love that carpet, it has tons of character.

3500 sf in my area is a pool house. There are numerous 10,000 sf houses around me.

9. SkinnyGoomba

A blue pot would probably work well.

10. Marshall W

Marshall W Active Member

That craftsman table looks like it is 1/4 sawn white oak. You can tell see the medullary rays in the front leg and a bit on the drawer front. Oak is more in line with Stickley/Craftsman furniture than cherry.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

The first time I saw it, I thought it was oak as well but the guy I got it from swore it was cherry. Can cherry be sawn in a way to produce that effect? You make a good point that oak is more common for this style.

For example:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

12. SkinnyGoomba

Looks like oak, but a close up would help me to determine it.

13. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Heh, perfectly timed. Currently hunting for a nice Milo Baughman recliner...

14. Marshall W

Marshall W Active Member

Cherry can be quarter sawn, but doesn't really look like oak. The grain is more open in oak. There seems to be a 1/8" line on the top, is that a bevel or a piece of veneer? It could be that the top has a cherry veneer on oak.

Also I would think a cherry piece that is 80-10 years old would be considerably darker, as cherry darkens with age.

15. SkinnyGoomba

All wood darkens with age unless left outside.

*I stand corrected* - most wood darkens including both oak and cherry.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013