1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by idfnl, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Thanks!

I've been getting some very nice pieces at excellent prices if I can participate in auctions (not Ebay) that take place mid-week and where my categories are in the minority attracting less attention and competition. I bid low and just wait for the good deals in good condition. That strategy is serving me well.

I'm surprised how many items I see that have great design but are in rough condition going for high prices when there is a lot of competition. Patience pays!

2. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel

3. Gus

Picked up another vintage Native American rug. I was very attracted to the rich red color and the simple black graphics common in the early rugs. This is just the right size for a wall hanging at 30 x 45"

s-l1600.jpg

4. RedLantern

RedLantern Distinguished Member

whats the critter in the middle? Armadillo?

5. NycLondon

NycLondon Senior Member

Such textiles must be loom made. This is a slit tapestry weave, the most common technique used world wide for flat weaves. Originally made as blankets, these changed to "rug production" for the white man's commercial market. William Randolph Hearst made a great collection of such old weaving.

6. Gus

Your guess is as good as mine but I'd think it was more likely a horned toad (common in the Southwest). I've run across some very unusual "creatures" woven onto Navajo rugs including some that look like aliens. From my research the older pictoral designs are more interpretive often inspired by "spirits" or critters such as waterbugs, spiders, etc., and natural forces like lightning bolts. Newer rugs, from the 70's and later tend to be more literal as far as pictorial designs including pickup trucks, and even cartoon characters. I've never come across one that was attributed to an armadillo but maybe this is one weavers interpretation of one?

hornedlizardhornytoadNM.jpg