1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by idfnl, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
  2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

That dressing table is quite nice, seems to be 18c. I agree there wouldn't be a manufacturer, but likely there is a shop or house of these eras that creates top work at the time. In 18c it would be cabinet makers such as Boulle, Hepplewhite or Chippendale, but in the 19th century.....?

3. SkinnyGoomba

Thank you! That is a great resource.

4. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Two words: Knife boxes. ok ? I've restored 3 : two for correspondence storage and general mementos and one for liquor tantalus.
    They looked beaten to death and dirty but most wood was intact, save for a few cracks. They look awesome now and probably the oldest wooden antiques I own.
    Restoring them have been a steep learning curve. But I figured a few things you not going to read online or cannot google. 1. You can shellac/lacquer over acrylic paint No problemo. 2. Mixing Belhem powder pigments with slow epoxy or plastic wood does magic. 3. Acetone + plastic wood always better than without. etc.

Here is something completely different (i don't have pics of knife-boxes, sorry) , this is something I picked up at Doyle at Home auctions for a song . It cleaned up very nicely, I replaced a few missing cock-beads and green felt for the desk and it was done. Under the old drawer lining I found beautiful B&W shots of a young woman with NYTimes proof on them (circa pre/post WWII).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Picked this deco cast iron horse today, its about 12" wide:

[​IMG]

6. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Nice horsey.
    Bronze of decent quality is very popular and never cheap.
    I have noticed a huge disparity in prices on similar items. That is what is exciting about auctions, you either have to pay through the nose for something you just love or you are getting it for a song for no reason at all.
    Like this card table:[​IMG]
    that have sold for $125.00+20%

There is absolutely no reason for such low price.

One of my 2012 acquisitions:
    [​IMG]: I wish I could say it was cheap....:embar:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. SkinnyGoomba

Both of those are awesome.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

+1 especially the card table.

To Medwed's point, I watched 2 guys once bid up a thrift store coat rack to $500. The whole room started looking at each other when it got to $150. It was more valuable as firewood to me.

Cast iron and bronze seems like they're on an uptick. Its getting bid up. I have a Hubley cast iron dog similar to the one here, can you believe these things sell for $100-300?

[​IMG]

EDIT: holy shit, I got mine really cheap, there some of these going for $750 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-HUB...=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item3a7a9fb996

9. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Internet certainly raised prices of many objects as well as allowed international reach for many buyers. At Leslihindman Auction, Chicago, today I have seen many items that got no bids from the floor but received a flurry of bids from the internet it was bizarre.

Here is chair I bought at Rolland 2 weeks ago. I did not get it cheap but I liked it so much I could not pass it up. The carving and tassels are awesome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

^^ Very nice, I like the high back.

Picked this Windsor settee up today. Amazing condition and construction quality. The picture is a little distorted, the arms don't jut out the way they seem to in the photo and neither do the leather bound edges.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  11. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Looks great in your place. Leather seat??? I love it , never saw anything like that, looks like custom order.
    It seems to me it is just you and me buddy, no one interested in anything before 1950s ...Give me Mid-century or give me Death!

On a different note , I am upholstering that chair I have posted , will post when it is done. Not sure about my fabric choice but we will see.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I liked the fabric that chair had very much, too bad there was a tear. Its condition seemed excellent otherwise. No hope of a repair?

That windsor was a custom order, its almost new. The lady I bought it from ordered it and didn't seem bothered about money and the huge loss she was taking. The more I detail over it, the more I am impressed, its a very solid piece.

I am a bit surprised there is not more uptake. Either there are very few of us, or its slow to gain traction. I am guessing more will join in. I buy stuff pretty regularly, so I've got plenty to post.

13. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Fabric was good , but it was 100% cotton and dried out. It would split if you breathe on it and it had more tears than the picture shows. So I had to do the inevitable .
    New stuff: One is a nicely made red-coat grunt to guard my antique books.
    And another one , well I just bid the minimum and got this oil painting from 1933 in good condition and painted by professional artists (not some housewife). You never know what you going to get, but in this case I am happy. Painting is going back to Europe to my vacation apartment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  14. lefty

lefty Senior member

There are thousands of the terriers out there. And thousands of knock offs.

Speaking of bronzes I can across a matched pair of foo dogs at an auction preview today:

[​IMG]

This picture doesn't do them justice. They stand 48" tall, 40" deep and 22" wide. The back is covered with beautiful spikes. Not traditional as the male doesn't have his paw on the world and the female is without cub, but still pretty spectacular. Heavy as hell and need stands.

Am now trying to talk the leftette into them.

lefty

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Nice painting, and that's a nice frame too. Many times the you get a piece of art and the frame by itself is worth more than you paid. I've seen some shit paintings in really nice frames that nobody bids on. I have about 8 or 10 nice frames waiting for something nice to put them in.

Those are smoking nice, wow. Fuck man, I'd love to have those. Those are going to fetch some $$.

Re the terriers, knockoffs like fakes or knockoffs like other companies made similar ones? If there are fakes out there I was not aware.

Speaking of fetching money, I am always blown away by what Chinese jardinieres get. I don't understand it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  16. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Thanks. You are right about frames. Although the one I got is modern, there are some fantastic deals to have on real antique frames the way you r buying them-( shit picture in a nice frame).
    Are those dogs destined for the garden? I don't get most Asian art except calligraphy, porcelain or watercolors. In the case of dogs , I think they'd be nice in a yard getting patina, but I cannot imagine them inside the house.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I could see those dogs next to a wood stove, they'd radiate a lot of heat. You'd need a big room so they would look in place.

18. lefty

lefty Senior member

Both I think. There are some that are rough copies - identical pose and size but seem a little soft around the edges. Like something that's been copied too many times.

I'd rather have them inside, though I do have the perfect spot around an outside door. If we buy I'd like to keep them pristine and avoid oxidation.
    They're big enough that you could roast something inside: christmas turkey, suckling pig, enemies.

lefty

19. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

If you promise not to bid on Chesterfield ,I promise not to bid on your foo dogs, :D