• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

El Zilcho

Reaction score
I've been using American Crew Fiber for a few months now, and it has done the trick but with only a few (if glaring) issues. I have thin, quite short hair and this tends to be a problem. I usually style it with the fringe up or slightly to the side and back - but I find after about an hour the hold is terrible. The Fiber leaves the hair scrunchy (which is acceptable for high hold I assume) but areas start to compress after a while. The hold is simply awful, and it may be my hair type. Now I'm considering switching to American Crew Forming Cream and using a hairspray for more hold.

I'd like to know if thin hair, which usually falls short with the Fiber, maintains a high hold with the Forming Cream. I've seen other similar issues and there have apparently been similar results as the Fiber - I'm wondering if it's use in accordance with hairspray is enough to keep my fringe sturdy for a whole day. Anyone experienced similar problems, and have good advice to give? I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for reading.

allgoodnamesgone

Reaction score

I've been using American Crew Fiber for a few months now, and it has done the trick but with only a few (if glaring) issues. I have thin, quite short hair and this tends to be a problem. I usually style it with the fringe up or slightly to the side and back - but I find after about an hour the hold is terrible. The Fiber leaves the hair scrunchy (which is acceptable for high hold I assume) but areas start to compress after a while. The hold is simply awful, and it may be my hair type. Now I'm considering switching to American Crew Forming Cream and using a hairspray for more hold.

I'd like to know if thin hair, which usually falls short with the Fiber, maintains a high hold with the Forming Cream. I've seen other similar issues and there have apparently been similar results as the Fiber - I'm wondering if it's use in accordance with hairspray is enough to keep my fringe sturdy for a whole day. Anyone experienced similar problems, and have good advice to give? I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for reading.

Forming Cream is better, but you lose the hold over 7 hours. I have the same issue, used fiber for a number of years and in the last two years noticed major hair loss. Switch to forming cream and it helped make my hair look thicker. I just lose the hold around 3:00pm.

-AllGoodNamesGone

El Zilcho

Reaction score
My mistake if I didn't make this clear, but I'm very young - I'm not balding. My hair is just naturally not thick or heavy, and so drops down and losses all hold very quickly.

@ allgoodnamesgone - How did you find the Fiber's hold duration before you switched?

benitahesson

Reaction score
I am using for American Crew Fiber for a few months now, and it has done the trick but with only a few issues.and Forming Cream is better, but you lose the hold over 7 hours.My mistake Is not make this clear, but I'm very young - I'm not balding.

benitahesson

Reaction score
I am using for American Crew Fiber for a few months now, and it has done the trick but with only a few issues. and Forming Cream is better, but you lose the hold over 7 hours.My mistake is not make this clear, but I'm very young - I'm not balding.

allgoodnamesgone

Reaction score

My mistake if I didn't make this clear, but I'm very young - I'm not balding. My hair is just naturally not thick or heavy, and so drops down and losses all hold very quickly.

@ allgoodnamesgone - How did you find the Fiber's hold duration before you switched?

For me, fiber held all day. That's what I was able to count on when using it. I just noticed that my hair stated to fall out when I brushed my hair.
It also made my hair seem thinker, which is good in the grand scheme of things.

I would try the fiber and see how you like it. My hair still looks full.

-AllGodNamesGone

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads