• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

Ambrosi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Unfortunately this is a drawback of places like this. They turn wonderful merchants, who produce meticulously crafted products, and blow them up to the point that they're growing too fast for their own good. You can't have it both ways (brag about how great a service is on something as wide as the internet and expect to get the same kind of attention). I'm sure now that they have apparently hired some new people, that things will be better, but in my opinion, no one will get the same quality pant from SA now since the business is larger. Before he would inspect every pair he made, now, he'll have people doing it for him.

Unfortunately you get your pants or delayed for this reason, my pants are controlled only by me .... you have so many things to tell about me, but luckily I return to America next month and I have my agenda full of many events ... but I would really much to say about some members of this portal as paying real bad !!!!!

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I am actually wearing Ercole pants today. I can't say that I know how they compare WRT handwork. What's clear is that the Ambrosi handwork is much more visible or obvious. Ercole's more fades into the cloth and is harder to spot. However, all visible stitches are by hand. Also, just like Ambrosi, he does a lap down the outer leg seam, also by hand. One difference is that Ambrosi hand tacks both the top and the bottom of belt loops whereas Ercole does them in the more British/American way of tucking the tops of the loops into the waistband. Ambrosi pants have a unique configuration of buttons and fasteners. Ambrosi's have a little panel that attaches to two buttons on the inside plus two more buttons on the waistband. Ercole's are again more British/American: French fly with one button, hook closure, zipper. The silhouette of Ecrole is different. More full, slightly higher rise, deeper pleats. These are "mid-Atlantic" in sihouette. Not as high as SR, not as low as a typical American RTW. Pleats in the English style. Ambrosi pleats are shallower and closer together.
Originally Posted by gazman70k
Thank you for the most informative post on this thread.
Yup, quite interesting, actually. But not as interesting as:
Originally Posted by Ambrosi
Unfortunately you get your pants or delayed for this reason, my pants are controlled only by me .... you have so many things to tell about me, but luckily I return to America next month and I have my agenda full of many events ... but I would really much to say about some members of this portal as paying real bad !!!!!
This thread is about to transcend my ill-advised *****-slap-fest with Foo to something legendary . . . .

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambrosi

This is good news for your customers, especially if they don't mind the wait.

Second part, does this mean that people have cheated you out of money, meaning, they commission something with you based on internet chatter and then are never to be heard from again? Thats too bad, and also a result of internet talk. Everyone has balls behind a keyboard and everyone has money as well. When it comes down to real life, balls and wallets shrink.

I'm sorry my only language is English, I'd have loved to have responded in Neapolitan, the language of my grandparents. I do greatly admire what I see here of yours, but just don't have the funds for it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Manton - to complete your comparison, can you please share the standard rack rate of the Ercole and Ambrosi for a given fabric. Thanks in advance.

My last pair from Ercole was $750. I have paid as much as $900 for a very expensive Dormeuil flannel. Most of what I get is Lesser and his prices have fallen a bit since Lesser is now carried by Isles, which charges less than Jodek.

Salvatore is $700. It was down to $650 briefly when the exchange rate improved but that's over.

The CMT difference is large. Ercole is $450, Salvatore is $600.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
This is the first time anyone has referred to me as "loathsome" (that I know of), so it's a bit of a milestone. Pardon me if I get a bit choked up.

I don't think I'm the one you originally accused of being bothered by big words, and I don't see any big words in your post, so I'm confused. As for your branding me a self-hating Jew / Catholic who wants to be part of some "establishment" based on an obvious joke, I suspect this is supposed to bother me? Nip away, little chihuahua, nip away.

It's never too late. If one equates hand-sewing to perfection, then you're right. You've conceded this might be a subjective, rather than objective measure, but I agree! Ambrosi pants are likely better than Ercole's! This was not the point of any of my posts, incidentally -- my point was that you are an arrogant, sanctimonious prick who has little reason to be that way, but I understand taking the points where you can get them.

I follow. Speaking of exams, was the third time the charm? By at least one objective measure that we know of it seems I can follow the material where you can't, so you might want to reconsider that high horse you've mounted.

If I ever gave you some indication your vocabulary was too advanced for me, perhaps you can point me to it. This, by the way, is a good example of what I'm talking about. No one mentioned big words or vocabulary, but you somehow end up chiping about it as if it's an issue.

The great cosmic joke of it all is that everyone can see that you've developed little-man syndrome -- I mean that figuratively, don't go complaining about size-ism. You develop a relatively small following based on your esoteric expertise in all things Neapolitan, mostly gained by buying things and sucking up to a couple of tailors, and suddenly you go from a nobody to a somebody (on the Internet no less). You inexplicably now feel free to treat anyone who doesn't agree with you like your inadequate yet barely-tolerable serf. The little bit of power you wield -- by way of expertise and admittedly qualified opinion -- has gone to your head and causes you to say things to people from behind the safety of your keyboard that I doubt you would say in real life (evidence: you're still alive).

You have very nice clothes and know a lot about tailoring. Outside of that, you are a notorious caricature, a running joke, and nearly everyone but you seems to know it.

It's not exactly loathsome, but it is kind of pathetic.

Here's the reason why I find you loathsome: you can't help but interpret everything I say in light of my height, class, or race. You respond to me as if I have actually said what you've vividly colored in your mind. When I refute you, you insist that I am playing some kind of game or lying about my true motivations. What I wrote is plain to see. I don't think any sound-minded person who isn't hopelessly lost in their own insecurities would have interpreted me the way you did.

If you actually wanted to participate in this discussion, I assume you would have sought to understand what has been said rather than rave like a lunatic about my desperate need to be more-than-Asian. Yet here you are--unable to escape the very vocabulary and context that you introduced and simultaneously claim to find repugnant.

I came here to find out about my pants. You came here to taunt me. I'd be thrilled for you to prove me wrong.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ Speaking of which: Salvatore, I'm still waiting for you to answer my e-mails. Clearly, you are around. This is ridiculous.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
It's never too late. If one equates hand-sewing to perfection, then you're right. You've conceded this might be a subjective, rather than objective measure, but I agree! Ambrosi pants are likely better than Ercole's! This was not the point of any of my posts, incidentally -- my point was that you are an arrogant, sanctimonious prick who has little reason to be that way, but I understand taking the points where you can get them.

I'm really not sure this ad hominem is really getting us anywhere.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Here's the reason why I find you loathsome: you can't help but interpret everything I say in light of my height, class, or race. You respond to me as if I have actually said what you've vividly colored in your mind. When I refute you, you insist that I am playing some kind of game or lying about my true motivations. What I wrote is plain to see. I don't think any sound-minded person who isn't hopelessly lost in their own insecurities would have interpreted me the way you did. If you actually wanted to participate in this discussion, I assume you would have sought to understand what has been said rather than rave like a lunatic about my desperate need to be more-than-Asian. Yet here you are--unable to escape the very vocabulary and context that you introduced and simultaneously claim to find repugnant. I came here to find out about my pants. You came here to taunt me. I'd be thrilled for you to prove me wrong.
I don't see anything about you being Asian, short (I took care to note it was a figurative term), or low/middle/upper class in the post above. I said you were arrogant and by calling you a joke I guess I implied that you are deluded about your own importance. Those are conditions that have no relation to race, creed or color. For you to continually state otherwise may say something about your own insecurities, but those issues aren't mine. Your need to revert to your superior vocabulary, complaints about big words, etc., when nothing of the sort was ever mentioned, just adds fuel to that fire. You'll recall that I looked in on this thread because I had planned to get some Ambrosi pants. If you think I came here to attack you that's your own inflated sense of self importance rearing it's head. I did get involved in a fight that wasn't primarily mine, so I'll go ahead and take the blame for that. In any event Manton's decision to post actual info plus Ambrosi's little bombshell have taken the fight out of me. I guess we'll never decide whether you are an arrogant, condescending, overly self important prick or I'm a class-obsessed, raving, mentally unbalanced lunatic. Maybe someone will take a poll, though I can't imagine anyone, including me, really caring one way or the other. As an aside, I'm now leaning back toward ordering for some reason ....

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Here are some pics.

First, these are Ercole:

aYzOm.jpg

I will wear Ambrosi tomorrow and post a pic then. You can see however how this silhouette differs from the Ambrosi depicted earlier in the thread.

This is the famous Ambrosi button cuff; buttonhole by hand:

bH2nE.jpg

This gabardine really shows the handwork (I can post it at higher res if someone asks):

DSPCp.jpg

That's the inside flap/panel on the right with two buttonholes. They attach to two buttons on the otherside of that brown strip on the left. Plus you can see the two other buttons that go into the waist button. All buttonholes by hand.

evIdI.jpg

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Here are some pics.

First, these are Ercole:
MG]

Is that a bespoke tie? I know we're the same height and yet even with higher rise pants my back blade isn't that long (which is ideal).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads