• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternatives to botox for sweating

anorak

Reaction score
I sweat a lot. I used traditional anti-perspirant products for years and have the pile of ruined shirts to prove it.

For the past year or two I have been using this rock type thing. You wet it and use it under your arms. It is supposed to keep bacteria from forming that causes odor. I notice that odor forms on my shirt but not my body. If I remove the shirt I don't smell too much. Since I can't change shirts all day this is not working.

I have thought about getting botox injections. They inject it into the muscles under your arms. This is supposed to keep you from sweating.

Before I go get this done I would like to try whatever alternatives are out there.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Andrew V.

Reaction score
I recommend Certain Dri. It's an anti-perspirant that you put on before bed. You can use your regular anti-perspirant/deodorant as well during the day, but some users find that they don't need to.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have an unusual problem with sweating but I went to using just deodorant (not anti-perspirant as it clogs up your pores and ruins clothes) and wearing Coolmax undershirts to wick moisture through the undershirt and away. The ones from Calvin Klein are the best I have; I wear them almost every day. I smell much better now than before when I used Red Zone clogger and ruined all my cotton undershirts.

I have used Certain Dri and if you must use antiperspirant that's definitely the one. Unfortunately it's a roll-on so it tears out underarm hair. I don't use it anymore anyway, so no worries. But watch out for that, it hurts.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Stains under your arms are caused by using deodorants containing aluminum. I've had great success with the following 2 alternative products: Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Deodorant (www.911healthshop.com) Anthony Logistics Alcohol Free deodorant (www.anthony.com I believe).

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, sorry to hi-jack but I dont really want to start a new thread for just one question:

Does anyone else have to switch deodorants every few months or so? I feel as though my body gets 'immune' to the deodorant...they'll work fine for a while, then one day they'll just stop working. And this is just from day-to-day activities, not through excercise or anything.

The weird thing is that I can go back to a deodorant that stopped working, say, a year ago, and it'll be all good for a few months.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe you have highly adaptive underarm bacteria who plan ahead for your next deodorant purchase. Mine seem to be lazy and keep dying with the Old Spice High Endurance but I've heard of your situation before. It's like antibiotices. Just rotate a few and you should be okay.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you have highly adaptive underarm bacteria who plan ahead for your next deodorant purchase. Mine seem to be lazy and keep dying with the Old Spice High Endurance but I've heard of your situation before. It's like antibiotices. Just rotate a few and you should be okay.
Yeah, Old Spice HE worked excellent for a while. The funny thing is, I can switch from OSHE to OS Red Zone and it solves the problem. My friends just think it's funny that I have like 5 different sticks of deodorant sitting in my closet.

Anyone ever try one of those 'natural' deodorants found at organic stores and co-ops? Do they work as well as the typical deodorant?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've used Tom's unscented and it worked well but I wanted something with a scent. They make some with scents but they might be 'natural' scents like 'tofu berrymuffin' or 'beans' or something. Or you can use the unscented and add a bit of inoffensive cologne. While the unscented works to kill off bacteria to a degree, anything you sweat out will still come through unless you cover it up. Eau de Corvoisier, perhaps?
smile.gif

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used Tom's unscented and it worked well but I wanted something with a scent. They make some with scents but they might be 'natural' scents like 'tofu berrymuffin' or 'beans' or something. Or you can use the unscented and add a bit of inoffensive cologne. While the unscented works to kill off bacteria to a degree, anything you sweat out will still come through unless you cover it up. Eau de Corvoisier, perhaps?
smile.gif
The "They make some with scents but they might be 'natural' scents like 'tofu berrymuffin' or 'beans' or something." got me laughing so loud, my housemate had to come from the room next to mine to see what was so funny. I should give that Tom's stuff a try, I've heard good reviews before. I've also heard that eating foods such as tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, spicy food, etc. will have an effect on the odor of your sweat, making it more 'potent'. I'll put that theory to the test tomorrow, and let you know if I reek of Cognac during class.

anorak

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the replies. I have been busy and have not had a chance to respond.

I have been using Certain Dri for three days now. Applying at bed time. It has reduced the amount of sweat considerably. I am still using my Odor Rock Thing in the mornings and it seems to be working fine to keep odors from forming with the lower sweat levels.

If the sweat levels remain this low than I may have found a solution, at least for a while.

Thanks again.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the replies. I have been busy and have not had a chance to respond.

I have been using Certain Dri for three days now. Applying at bed time. It has reduced the amount of sweat considerably. I am still using my Odor Rock Thing in the mornings and it seems to be working fine to keep odors from forming with the lower sweat levels.

If the sweat levels remain this low than I may have found a solution, at least for a while.

Thanks again.
That Certain-Dri stuff sounds slightly scary. Preventing your body from sweating completely...it just doesn't sit right with me. Keep us updated on how it's working out for you a few weeks from now, though.

What is an 'Odor Rock'?

anorak

Reaction score
It is this crystal looking rock I bought a long time ago off of the web. You wet it and rub it under the arms and on the feet. It stops the odor causing bacteria from forming. It works pretty well if you don't sweat a lot. I have no idea where to get one now. They last a really long time. It wears slowly over time.

Botox injected into the muscles under the arms stops the body from sweating as well. I am thinking that it may be safer than the certain dri since it would not cause blocked pores or skin problems that a topical product may cause.

I'll will post in update in a few weeks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads