• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternative to shirt for office attire

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Hello,

I usually wear dress shoes, odd trousers and a shirt, and perhaps a sport coat to the office. I have accumulated some MTM shirts over the past year but have come to realize I am lazy some days and would be glad to avoid pressing my shirts.

Are there any alternatives to shirts that are appropriate for use in the office and that sort of matches the formality of shirts? For what it is worth we usually do not have a dress code in our office but it would be good with some alternatives that also were appropriate with dress shoes and odd trousers, and perhaps a sport coat.

papado

Reaction score
Hello,

I usually wear dress shoes, odd trousers and a shirt, and perhaps a sport coat to the office. I have accumulated some MTM shirts over the past year but have come to realize I am lazy some days and would be glad to avoid pressing my shirts.

Are there any alternatives to shirts that are appropriate for use in the office and that sort of matches the formality of shirts? For what it is worth we usually do not have a dress code in our office but it would be good with some alternatives that also were appropriate with dress shoes and odd trousers, and perhaps a sport coat.

A nice piece of knitwear would work--if a more temperate climate you could go for finer gauge and even non wool/cashmere fibers (cotton/silk?), but if you're in a cooler region then the standard wool and cashmere options are perfect

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
A nice piece of knitwear would work--if a more temperate climate you could go for finer gauge and even non wool/cashmere fibers (cotton/silk?), but if you're in a cooler region then the standard wool and cashmere options are perfect
Gonna look into it, thanks!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally don't like wearing clothing without a collar under a sportcoat -- the inside of the jacket collar gets dirty. A long sleeve polo shirt in a finer-gauge wool and a thin rollneck sweater are other options that can work well under a sportcoat.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
I personally don't like wearing clothing without a collar under a sportcoat -- the inside of the jacket collar gets dirty. A long sleeve polo shirt in a finer-gauge wool and a thin rollneck sweater are other options that can work well under a sportcoat.
Good ones

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Turtleneck.

CMR16

Reaction score
A few of my colleagues wear turtlenecks in my office. I tend to wear a crewneck sweater under a jacket on my lazy days.

AWV

Reaction score
Hello,

Have you considered a polo knit in cashmere or merino wool? Smart casual and perfectly suitable for an informal office setting. Even smarter when buttoned at the collar. And pairs nicely with loafers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads