• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations Tailor in Downtown Toronto

Doxe

Reaction score
I've used Magic Tailor at 211 Yonge St. to do alterations on a lot of my OTR Canali including an overcoat. The shop is located on the East side of the street right across from Eaton Centre just below Shuter Street. The tailor is Mehmet and was the alterations tailor at the Bay for years before opening his own shop. His prices are good (if not low) and his turnaround time is quick.

Most importantly Mehmet won't let you leave unless he's satisfied with the product. We tinkered with my overcoat several times before he let me take it home and I was only charged for the one alteration.

For the order I have right now my invoice says:

$25 to shorten sleeves (excellent job BTW)
$35 to take in the center seam
$15 to hem pants
$15 to take in the seat on pants
$45 to take in the front seam on a jacket

Prices tend to vary on how much you're bringing in. My last order I had 3 pairs of pants and three blazers being altered so that may be reflected in the prices charged.

Doxe

torontolaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBDB
I've used the tailor at Robert Jones in the Royal Bank lpaza concourse and was quite pleased. Good work and reasonably priced.

what do you mean by reasonably priced?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by torontolaker
how much does it normally cost to take in the back of a wool car coat/top coat?

You can get this done at any Stitch-It. Probably $40?

torontolaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
You can get this done at any Stitch-It. Probably $40?
how's the quality though? I just bought the [quilted] wool coat and really don't want it ruined.
eh.gif
I'm not sure if it's the sides or the back that needs tucking, maybe both.

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
I dropped 2 jackets and a shirt off at Alian today. He seems amazing. He's a master tailor, and does bespoke shirts, sportcoats, suits, and denim. One one sportcoat, he's patching many, many moth holes, letting the sleeves out, and taking in the waist. On the other, he's taking in the waist, taking in the chest, and making the sleeves slimmer. On the shirt, he's putting in darts. The total for all this came to just under $250. He explained everything in a great deal of detail, and seems to really know what he's doing.

He had samples of his work in the shop, and they looked amazing. If the alterations match what I've seen, I think I'm going to be delighted in a couple of weeks. I'll post an update then.

LeMat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by torontolaker
Bumping an old thread. How did it go? I'm considering that place to alter my wool coat.

Positive results! A very close fit the first time. Ali's friendly (and busy!) and a pleasure to work with, though I had to wait an extra hour after I was told to come pick it up. Wouldn't hesitate to go back and see what he can do with a more solvable problem.

Sym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos
My update: he's amazing.

Everything is perfect!

Where is Alians? Has anyone heard of Pauls Alterations?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos
My update: he's amazing.

Everything is perfect!

Where is he located and what was the pricing like?

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
Where is he located and what was the pricing like?
google maps: http://preview.tinyurl.com/249thcd Pricing is completely reasonable. Varies from job to job, depending on how much work is involved. One example is he slimmed the sleeves on a jacket, brought in the chest, recut the armholes, and brought in the waist for $135. This job was very easy to mess up. After seeing the great job he did, I had no hesitation giving him a $1500 OTR Zegna jacket. I also had him work on a pair of pants. For $35, he recut the seat and hemmed it. Without a doubt the best fitting pants I have now. For my bday, my wife is going to have him make bespoke jeans for me.

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
But I really need to stress that the price varies from item to item. Waist suppression on one jacket cost around $30, while another was $65. The difference was the construction of the jackets, which he happily explained to me. The more expensive one simply required a lot more work.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the tip, he's actually only a few blocks from my house so I guess my hunt for a tailor may be over
bounce2.gif

dgv

Reaction score
Decided to give Alian a try since they are close to home. Friendly guy. Here is what I was charged:

$70 for shortening a jacket (w/ side vents so costs a little more)
$45 for taking in the waist

I will post an update after I pick up the jacket next week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads