• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edwards or Alden Dress Shoes - Which Model/Last?

wacomme

Reaction score
I recently tried on some Alden dress shoes, and fitted to a 10.5 C or D. However, I don't have the money for buy $600 shoes (plain toe blucher with unlined vamp - I believe). What was nice was the minimal heel rise; I'm used to zero rise shoes. But I digress . . .

I want to find some Alden's or Allen Edwards at a discount store - most likely Allen Edwards since they're less expensive. But which shoe/last should I look for? Here's what I discovered about my feet:

• I have very thin feet - low volume
  • My left foot measures about an 11; my right foot a 10 - a whole size difference.
  • My arch is quite long - a 12
  • My width is borderline C/D.
  • I have narrow heels and instep.
The brown Alden in 10.5 D seemed to fit well. The salesman was suggestion C size which may or may not be better (didn't have in stock).

I know AE has many lasts. Which one(s) would match my feet best? I'd prefer a low heel rise shoe, but shoe fit is more important. I want a lace-up dress shoe.

Thank you.

Michael.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would have really helped to know which Alden model you tried on. Alden has a number of lasts that fit quite differently from one another. I can't provide any sizing advice based on the information you've provided. You're best off trying AEs in person and making note of the models you try on.

paxonus

Reaction score
You aren't going to find AE at a discount store. Given the numerous widths they make, your best bet is to try them on at a store. Once you know your size in several different models, you can shop online. Try Ebay and shoebank.com--AE seconds--for the best prices.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You aren't going to find AE at a discount store. Given the numerous widths they make, your best bet is to try them on at a store. Once you know your size in several different models, you can shop online. Try Ebay and shoebank.com--AE seconds--for the best prices.
Maybe Allen Edwards is a fake version of Allen Edmonds sold at discount stores?
I’d recommend going the AE F2 (seconds) route or clearance time

wacomme

Reaction score
I went to an AE store in Denver but the salesman was awful and the sizes were very limiting. Not helpful at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads