• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just took the plunge on the Jeffersons in 9D. Hopefully that fits.

I'm pretty much a 9d in the leeds, pa, 5th ave, mcallisterm, dundees

You should be cool.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I take that back, I meant the WILLIAMS, sorry about that. Am I still good?

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Maybe slightly. I recall there being a black Rutledge in calf. However if you wanted shell then thats a mute point. And the upcharge isn't that great, especially if you wanted to play with a few other details. But kinda hard when its black. I have the standard black PAs, which were my first. And before I figured out the 5 last. So lately been thinking a black shell PA (2nd) might be nice. Then sell off my calf version. But then again I hardly wear black shoes.

Schucknasty

Reaction score
Having only recently gotten my hands on a pair of the Independence, I have to say I would have a hard time going back to the "ordinary" AE calf. They are a significant upgrade IMO.

+1. I have the Harrison in Walnut and am considering the Rutledge, as well. I have difficulty finding my size (14C) in other, higher-end brands and the Independence line seems like a nice bridge in a shoe that fits and which I can actually find. The higher-grade calfskin is wonderful and the lambskin lining is butter soft. They apparently don't carry C widths in the Independence line, but the Harrison fits me pretty well in D width becasue of the narrower 333 last.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 2 last is even more narrow than the 5 last?
I find that it feels that way. I'd a 9D in the Leeds and Dalton but a 8.5E in anything in the 5 last. I have a pair of RL Sandersons in a 9D (basically the same shoe) and it's not a terrible fit, but the toe hurts after a day of a lot of walking. If you can do 9D in the 5 last, you might be okay in the 2 last. Also, the independence lining and leather is soft enough where you any slight tightness isn't as noticeable.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 2 last is even more narrow than the 5 last?

The toebox tapers more severely, so in places yes, depending on the shape of your foot. You may experiment with either going up a width or a length.

green garden

Reaction score
The toebox tapers more severely, so in places yes, depending on the shape of your foot. You may experiment with either going up a width or a length.
+1. The taper on the outside of the shoe is more severe. So the top of your pinky may hit leather if you have longer toes.

green garden

Reaction score
Pebble grain is super stiff and it's rubbing against my ankles creating scratches. What's the best way to alleviate the problem?
I recently got chili grain and agree that it is stiffer. I conditioned mine a couple of times and I feel they became a bit more supple. I use Lexol conditioner.

Or just wear thicker socks and break them in gently.

Good luck,

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I already own the AE suede water protector spray. Is there any reason for me to spend more money on the expensive Tarragon Nano to waterproof my new MacAllister MTO? Or is what I have adequate?

OptoDoc

Reaction score

No help for you on the above question as I use Bickmore Gard More (per ColdIron's recommendation). My question for you, though...what's the main differences between this MTO and the navy Spiaggia?

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No help for you on the above question as I use Bickmore Gard More (per ColdIron's recommendation). My question for you, though...what's the main differences between this MTO and the navy Spiaggia?

A) this one is in my correct size, which doesn't exist for Spiaggia. I have an 11 3E that's too big that I'm selling on eBay. I bought it before I was correctly sized on the 5 last. I like the shoe so much that I was waiting for a MacAllister sale to create a mock-up that fits me better.

B) I changed the lining color to red, and added a heel pad and half sock liner. The welt thread also is brown instead of white, but that was a mistake on their end. I'm fine with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads