1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoloop

geoloop Well-Known Member

Regarding my adventure with a local shoemaker i will put it on hold until i get my AE pair, which i will give to him to replicate the finishing and see how it goes, depending on that i will keep buying AEs or go ham on local shoes lol

2. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

They do look so much better now, nice job [​IMG]

3. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

Wow... Get out of my head! I'm trying to build up the courage to do my #8 shell Daltons. Thank you for the kind words, Burzan; good luck with your project... The Patriot should be really nice with lighter edge. Looking forward to that post!

4. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Some sort of longwing in a burgundyish shade would work, IMO.

1 person likes this.
  5. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

These would be my answer as well. A dark brown or burgundy longwing can range from jeans to a suit if you aren't a person that sticks their nose up at pairing a pair of bluchers with a suit.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  6. pudman43

pudman43 Well-Known Member

Nice! Glad you're enjoying them Itza! J

7. Indyoshi68

I appreciate the appreciation Gabru! It was a simultaneus labor of love and leap of faith. Glad I didn't blow it!

8. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this; I love these DIY projects. I assume you've seen this thread on a similar project: http://www.styleforum.net/t/247209/diy-cobbler-ing-changing-sole-edge-color Did you rub carnauba wax on for added protection? I thought the edge ironing @DWFII describes was interesting. I had to look pretty closely at my AE edges to see it but the factory edges do seem to be ever so slightly concave. Even without tracking down (and figuring out how to use) an edge iron, I think a good seal on the edges is important to longevity. I'm tempted to try this on a pair of Wendells that are due for recrafting. That way if I mess it up I won't be stuck with it for long. Now if I could just get the current antiquing project done to free up some time ...

9. thehaviet

thehaviet Member

Bourbon vs Walnut ?

Looking to pick up a McAllister.

Is there a big difference between Bourbon and Walnut? From my computer screen, they both look very alike. Perhaps Bourbon is a tad darker than Walnut?

Can anyone shed some lights on these two colours?

Thanks

10. itzafugasi

itzafugasi Active Member

Thanks again! [​IMG]

11. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

Here are my Walnut Mcallisters and Bourbon Strands

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

for comparison

Walnut has a bit more orange.

Chris

12. thehaviet

thehaviet Member

Thanks Chris.

I guess the Bourbon is a little more brownish.

13. Indyoshi68

14. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

Bourbon is literally walnut that spent some time on the black burnishing wheel.

15. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

LoL, that is exactly what I was going to say! :)

I personally prefer Walnut any day of the week, as its actually the color of the leather. Bourbon is just a polish ontop of Walnut...

-Mike

16. geoloop

geoloop Well-Known Member

Questioning if getting my first pair of AE on brown was a good call...

walnut looks so beautiful

17. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

More 8-(108) last love. New to me Lamberts in Chili Grain (Style #4248)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Well-Known Member

Changed the color on some Magnannis last week - took them from an almost walnut color to a...Bob's Chili-type-color. My mother called them oxblood, but I think they are much browner than AE's version of the same. Good luck with the Wendells! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Still working on them...and this one was a lot of work. [/quote]
    I see you taped off part of the Magnannis but ended up with a uniform color. Were you originally planning a 2-tone finish? I'm also curious as to how you got from the 'streaky' finish in the intermediate photo to the more uniform appearance on the finished product. I'm currently working on antiquing a couple pairs of shoes and smoothing out dye lines is my biggest challenge. I started with finishing a belt blank (photo below) to practice but found that leather 'works' much differently than shoe leather. I've also noticed (as others trying this have stated) that leather quality really varies and effects the way the shoes take dye, polish, etc. The 2 pairs I'm working on are an AE and a Johnston & Murphy. I didn't realize there was such a difference until I started this project. They may look similar from several feet away but the leather and construction quality on the AE is far superior. [​IMG] On a separate note, what is the shoe school in IL you mentioned? I thought about doing something similar and found a couple interesting programs out west. I decided to try some simpler projects first (e.g. wallets, bags) and am glad I did. I've learned a lot about leather and which techniques I need to practice - at this point, most all of them!

19. datrat

datrat Member

I've been hunting for a nice versatile black blucher that has good construction and comfort for walking like my Park Aves. Something to wear business casual, often with (nice, dark, well-cut) jeans and a collared shirt, but that will also pass with a suit or blazer.

The only thing holding me back is that the reviews on AE's website seem TERRIBLE!

I did notice that the sole on this shoe is a little thinner than that on my Park Aves, and after seeing the 2.5 star rating, I got worried that it might be poorly rated because it lacks support and isn't comfortable.

(see: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF2996_1_40000000001_-1?style=2987 )

Also, I notice that this shoe is also often the first AE shoe to go on sale (often discounted down into the mid $200s) when they're doing sales, and often the more classic ones aren't discounted when this one is. This also worries me and makes me cast doubts about its quality.

Any thoughts or experience?

Is there a good alternative in a similar price range that could serve the function I'm looking for? (Cole Haan seems to have a "Cambridge Oxford" but they don't say what leather they use or if it is goodyear welted...)

20. ninjanine

ninjanine Active Member

Brown Burnished vs. Bourbon for Lexington Cap-Toes?

I'm going to order the Lexington Cap-Toes, and I'm trying to decide on the color. I like brown, and I'm trying to decide between Brown Burnished and Bourbon. I've seen them both in person but I'm not sure which to get.

Incidentally, I don't like the Walnut or Chili, not my style, so I've ruled those out.

I like both the Brown Burnished and the Bourbon... I go back and forth. I worry that the Brown Burnished is too dark and might look too much like black especially indoors. To me, I feel like black shoes are boring, so I want to choose brown boldly. But then, sometimes the Bourbon look almost slightly greenish to me.

I work in a creative field, so I don't need to look formal or dress up for work. In addition, I'm also ordering the shell cordovan Park Avenues for when I actually need to wear my navy suit for a wedding or a TV segment.

For these brown / bourbon Lexingtons Cap-Toes, I'd say I'm aiming for rebel cool. I want to look less like a corporate professional and more like a movie star. Not that I will look anything like a movie star, but if those are two ends on a spectrum, I want to go toward that direction.

I'll be wearing the shoes mostly with darkish-rinse jeans and sporty shirts with button-down collars... sometimes with a black or dark navy linen sportcoat.

Any thoughts?

BROWN BURNISHED
    [​IMG]

BOURBON
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.