1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

I see you taped off part of the Magnannis but ended up with a uniform color. Were you originally planning a 2-tone finish? I'm also curious as to how you got from the 'streaky' finish in the intermediate photo to the more uniform appearance on the finished product. I'm currently working on antiquing a couple pairs of shoes and smoothing out dye lines is my biggest challenge. I started with finishing a belt blank (photo below) to practice but found that leather 'works' much differently than shoe leather. I've also noticed (as others trying this have stated) that leather quality really varies and effects the way the shoes take dye, polish, etc. The 2 pairs I'm working on are an AE and a Johnston & Murphy. I didn't realize there was such a difference until I started this project. They may look similar from several feet away but the leather and construction quality on the AE is far superior. [​IMG] On a separate note, what is the shoe school in IL you mentioned? I thought about doing something similar and found a couple interesting programs out west. I decided to try some simpler projects first (e.g. wallets, bags) and am glad I did. I've learned a lot about leather and which techniques I need to practice - at this point, most all of them![/quote] You got it... I started thinking "two tone", but after several wears - and compliments - I wanted something less striking. I did a "wash-rinse-repeat" with deglazer and acetone to cut through all of my acrylic finish (too much, actually), then mixed up a (from your impression) close to same color, with more green to darken the vamp and top portion of the shoe. I was concerned the acetone would take away more of the texture that i created, but it was applied lightly so it removed less of the streaked dye. I am now not afraid to go to the acetone for corrections. Oh... All that shine is from the acrylic finish, and many many coats of several colors of polish. Might deglaze to tone it down a bit. I can't remember the name of the school off hand, but i'll check it out and PM you FYI. Also, I agree that leather quality makes a huge difference. I started practicing on a pair of Cole Haan sandals - the leather was hideous when stripped and the dyes never penetrated. It was educational however. I tried a belt, too. Unspectacular results!

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. Sane

Sane Well-Known Member

3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

4. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I can confirm the beauty of walnut. Had a pair of bourbon Daltons and sold them, they didn't fit great but the color wasn't all that I thought it would be in person.

[​IMG]

5. garland

garland Senior member

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I've been really appreciating my new Oxblood Eagle River boots. What a fantastic color! This pair was absolutely flawless.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

[​IMG]

Does anyone have any experience with this sole from AE? How does it compare to Danite? Is it soft, hard, is it obviously casual from eye level?

8. Sane

Sane Well-Known Member

9. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Those things are really glowing, pep. Did you do anything to them (polish, condition...buff...brush)? Color is awesome. Checking out the indentation on the right boot below the cap, though...how do they fit?

10. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Ok...so it seems to be fairly common knowledge that colors like Bourbon and Oxblood are merely existing lighter colors with a strategic black burnish applied. And I know that Bourbon is just walnut leather with black burnishing on top..but what is the base color for Oxblood?..like, is it just a muted merlot? Or a generic burgundy or red with black burnish? Just curious. Does anyone know?

11. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

It's about as hard as Dainite. I used to have that sole on some Madison aves that I used as rain beaters (shoe on left). AE put a exposed stitch so it looked like a dress shoe.

[​IMG]

12. peppercorn78

Nope, straight from the box to the pavement.

Yeah the indentation is definitely pronounced on this pair, but tall my right shoes tend to crease in that same spot (that's where my bunion is), so I'm not too stressed about it.

For reference:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fit is snug but comfortable. I expect it to give a little more this fall when I'm wearing them weekly.

13. peppercorn78

Cherry calfskin. According to the spring promotional materials I got a while back...

14. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Thanks a bunch man..never even knew they carried cherry calfskin.

15. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

16. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

The Leeds 2.0 is on the Shoebank, but not the regular site. The description is (almost?) identical, but I did notice mention of a Poron insole in the write-up. The bullet points above read "Double oak leather sole", but the write-up below says "Double butyl outsole". Are they the same thing? What makes it a 2.0?

17. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Brown Burnished vs. Bourbon for Lexington Cap-Toes?

I'm going to order the Lexington Cap-Toes, and I'm trying to decide on the color. I like brown, and I'm trying to decide between Brown Burnished and Bourbon. I've seen them both in person but I'm not sure which to get.

Incidentally, I don't like the Walnut or Chili, not my style, so I've ruled those out.

I like both the Brown Burnished and the Bourbon... I go back and forth. I worry that the Brown Burnished is too dark and might look too much like black especially indoors. To me, I feel like black shoes are boring, so I want to choose brown boldly. But then, sometimes the Bourbon look almost slightly greenish to me.

I work in a creative field, so I don't need to look formal or dress up for work. In addition, I'm also ordering the shell cordovan Park Avenues for when I actually need to wear my navy suit for a wedding or a TV segment.

For these brown / bourbon Lexingtons Cap-Toes, I'd say I'm aiming for rebel cool. I want to look less like a corporate professional and more like a movie star. Not that I will look anything like a movie star, but if those are two ends on a spectrum, I want to go toward that direction.

I'll be wearing the shoes mostly with darkish-rinse jeans and sporty shirts with button-down collars... sometimes with a black or dark navy linen sportcoat.

Any thoughts?

BROWN BURNISHED
    [​IMG]

BOURBON
    [​IMG][/quote

Both are nice colors. But for maximum versatility I would go with brown first. Actually brown kenilworth were my very first AE shoes and they are still going strong.

18. thehaviet

thehaviet Member

I also love my Walnut Strand. Just got it a couple weeks ago as my first AE.

Now, I think it will be hard to find something better than those.

I am looking into getting the McAllister, but I don't want another Walnut. Bourbon, seems like just a darkened Walnut based on what was said here from other posters.

Anyone wearing McAllister or McGregor? What is your favorite colors on them? I need a color that goes well with chinos, jeans, and trousers. Thanks

19. mrfixit

mrfixit Senior member

i knew mine were burnished, but decided to try and clean up some overly dark spots. i thought i knew what i was doing. i did not. :)

20. jubu

jubu Senior member

Congrats on an awesome pair! Sadly AE cancelled my order due to production issues....incredibly jealous to say the least!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.