• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Widgets

Reaction score
Probably. But if it bothers you then that is all that really matters. Should be easy enough to exchange for another pair

I think my big thing is, if the majority are going to look like that, I don't want to be that person that swaps out like 4 different shoes because of super OCD nit-picky reasons. It's better to just work to get over those kinds of things, lol.

I will just get over it. They look good from a distance at least. I think the biggest issue is that, I have small feet and am wearing a 7.5, and I don't think the shoes were necessarily designed for this smaller size. :(

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess the big thing for me was the fact that the brogues didn't appear to be cut as clean as my Strands. Am I just being too nit picky? 

I had almost the exact same issue Widgets. I posted about 5 days ago with pictures of my merlot mcallisters. It looked really sloppy. I brought them back to the store and am still waiting on a replacement pair. I don't think yours look quite as bad, but I think it still looks worse than what I have seen on other pairs of firsts. I have a hunch that the anniversary sale put AE on their heels and they are having a hard time meeting the demand. I'm still hopeful, but worried my replacement pair might be similar.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^cincikid

The Strands are stunning and are inherently different than the alt wien model.

Should be an easy sell if you want to depart from it though.

cincikid

Reaction score
Damn...now I need a pair of shell strands after seeing Mike's pic
I think with this picture Mike had answered my question whether I should keep my own cordovan Strands before I even posted it
bigstar[1].gif

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Damn...now I need a pair of shell strands after seeing Mike's pic

I think Mike also answered my question whether I really should keep my cordovan Strands 
bigstar%5B1%5D.gif

Shell Strands are awesome, I have two: Walnut Shell (2011 Webgem) and the Brown "Independence" Shell with Antique Edging (MTO). My Walnut Shell Strands are my favorite of all my shoes and I might have a few pairs of Shell...

-Mike

Last edited:

cincikid

Reaction score
Shell Strands are awesome, I have two: Walnut Shell (2011 Webgem) and the Brown "Independence" Shell with Antique Edging (MTO). My Walnut Shell Strands are my favorite of all my shoes and I might have a few pairs of Shell...

-Mike

Your walnut shell Strands are awesome, Mike. You wear them well!
When do you find yourself reaching out for the Strands as opposed to LWBs or PTBs?

Last edited:

green garden

Reaction score

In the past month I acquired two shoes that seem to be fitting similar bills for me: AE Strand in brown cordovan and Alden Alt Wien for Epaulet in color 8. I love the Alt Wien so I am now trying to decide whether I do really need the Strands, which I have not yet had a chance to wear. I really don't find myself wearing balmorals that often (I am a LWB and PTB kind of guy), I don't wear suits and any other formal stuff, so I anticipate that the Strand will not be in my regular rotation very often. However, I know that the Alt Wien could work with both the jeans and a suit, should there be a need. 

Hence the question: apart from one being balmoral and another being a blucher and having different shell colors, do you see any degree of redundancy between these two shoes? Are they different enough to keep both? Is Strand in cordovan a must have staple (which it likely is) that I will necessarily regret not keeping down the road? 

I think they are very different shoes. One is inherently more formal. If I had to choose I would keep the alt wein because my wardrobe tends to be on the casual side. I can't see myself wearing the strands with jeans. But for the few occasions I need to wear a tie, it would be nice to have the option of picking the stands. Keep them both! :nodding:

wonsmithr8

Reaction score
In the past month I acquired two shoes that seem to be fitting similar bills for me: AE Strand in brown cordovan and Alden Alt Wien for Epaulet in color 8. I love the Alt Wien so I am now trying to decide whether I do really need the Strands, which I have not yet had a chance to wear. I really don't find myself wearing balmorals that often (I am a LWB and PTB kind of guy), I don't wear suits and any other formal stuff, so I anticipate that the Strand will not be in my regular rotation very often. However, I know that the Alt Wien could work with both the jeans and a suit, should there be a need.

Hence the question: apart from one being balmoral and another being a blucher and having different shell colors, do you see any degree of redundancy between these two shoes? Are they different enough to keep both? Is Strand in cordovan a must have staple (which it likely is) that I will necessarily regret not keeping down the road?

Both so good haha

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just took delivery of these brown Jefferson's from the sale. $350 was a great price for them.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blaster, you've got quite an enviable collection. You don't happen to have any (shoe) family photos, do you?

Markus N

Reaction score
Just got my second pair of AEs, Finch in size 10.5 EEE. Fits like a glove on my weird feet (Morton's neuroma + molded ortho soles).
You can say a lot about the very casual style, but that just reflects how I'll use them. I just won't put on a pair of Crockett & Jones oxfords for taking the kids to the park.

The AE line up where I live is very poor, mainly due to the price point (Park Avenue retails at $ 630), so I'm stuck with trial and error when it comes to lasts and sizes. Dead on so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads