1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbouchard87

bbouchard87 Member

Wow...these are obviously my mcalisters...wrong picture

2. bbouchard87

bbouchard87 Member

[​IMG]
    Here is the Warwick oxblood and I was talking about the versatility.

1 person likes this.
  3. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

I remember this being a place to gofor cheap winter coats when I was growing up in WI. I didn't even know if they were in CA but looked it up and it turns out they're everywhere, especially in bad neighborhoods. Anyway, for those in San Diego, it's slim pickings. I stopped at two stores, found nothing in one and a couple pairs of Long Branch and Canvasback in the other. Not sure who decided to send what where as those are two styles that aren't likely to see a lot of use out here. Still, at $99 they could make a decent pair of workboots.

4. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Breaking in the new-to-me walnut shell Daltons today.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Gorgeous! Looks almost revello.

6. El Texican

El Texican New Member

I am considering the McAllister leather soled model in the Brown Burnished color. My only issue is that I prefer the black "sole edge" as seen on the Danite sole over the brown "sole edge" seen on the leather sole. My question is what can I expect from using AE's black edge dressing product to dye the brown to black?

7. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Thanks. Yeah, they do look pretty close to Ravello.

All the edges start out as brown. AE paints them black. You could do the same, but I'm not sure whether the black edge dressing would work as effectively. Not sure what products could be used to "permanently" dye/paint the edges black.

Here are some real life photos of my Brown McAllisters, in case that'll sway you from changing the edge color. The brown edging they use on the Brown McAllister really matches the shoe quite nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Those are so bad they should be in detention. :cheers:

9. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Thanks, dudebro. They're quickly becoming one of my favorite pairs.

I should do a group shot of my shells sometime soon. I've started selling off a lot of my calf shoes, too. Ch-ch-ch-changes!

10. Al Dente

Al Dente Senior member

Had to wait for my birthday presents to wear my Shoebank Harrisons. Up close, you can see why they are seconds, but at normal viewing distance, they look fine. I really love the shape and think they go well with the slimmer fit suits. Never noticed them on my feet (a good thing) except for when the new soles slid on the carpet. The leather is ridiculously soft, like buttah.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

@Al Dente

I was about to kop them in black but I went back to the shoe bank and they were gone. Looking good brother

12. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

Those are size 11D, aren't they?

13. Al Dente

Al Dente Senior member

Yes they are. You could work at a carnival guessing shoe sizes!

14. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

I also got hit with the 'shell bug', and have been selling off a lot of my calf shoes as well. My lone AE calfs are now my walnut strands & park ave... it's definitely an addiction [​IMG]

As for the ravello comparisons, yours and my walnut shell Dalton's resemble more of the dubbed "brownvello" shade of ravello. Though, ravello seems to have a wide variety of shades

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  15. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Senior member

First time trying out the "8" last. Hopefully they will work for my feet. AE Nathan in Walnut Calf:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. EGY73

EGY73 New Member

Purchased my first pair of real AE's, Walnut Strands, and wore them to work for the first time yesterday with dark gray slacks. Great shoe!

Ended up purchasing a pair of brown Kenilworth's from the Shoebank for $157 last night. I think I might be addicted to AE shoes now! :)

17. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

How's the fit compare to the 5 last?

18. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Indeed.

Very nice - congrats. The 8 last has a nice shape.

Welcome, and congrats. Both are good choices to start out with.

I think the 8 and 5 lasts are quite similar, but I personally have to size down in length and up in width when going from 8 to 5.

19. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

Ha, not really. I recognized those seconds (with the imperfect leather on the toe cap on the left shoe) because I tried them on. I almost bought them :)

20. Scott Pettigrew

Scott Pettigrew Member

Anybody besides me going crazy about the 333 last? Just bought some black custom calf larchmonts and my life is forever changed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.