1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

^^+1

2. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Here's a picture from last Wednesday. I am wearing khaki grain McTavishes.

[​IMG]

3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

They actually don't look navy at all - with all the detailing on them they do look like they could pass for dark brown though.

4. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I seem to like the same styles as you...I think I'll finally cave and pick up that pair of brown grain Kiowas next week after all. Also looking at the Duke - wondering - what have you thought about the Flagstaff (this has to be the Duke's predecessor). Have they held up ok? I only have one pair of DR-made AEs (Grand Cayman), and while they feel pretty durable, they are definitely not up to par with the USA-made AEs. Wanted to get your opinion - thanks in advance.

5. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Here's a picture from Palm Sunday, also wearing khaki grain McTavishes as my bamboo (that's what it said on the package when I got them at Marshall's) socks slip down......

[​IMG]

6. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

I don't see any difference between he Allen-Edmonds shoes made entirely in the Dominican Republic and the Allen-Edmonds shoes made partially or completely in the United States. The slight difference in price between the shoes made entirely in the Dominican Republic and the shoes made partially or completely in the United States might be a reflection of what a small part the cost of labor (as compared to the cost of materials) is in the manufacture of Allen-Edmonds shoes.

7. pizzapie

pizzapie Well-Known Member

Why is that? I thought they were made on the same last and bluchers.

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Key to my sentence: ** I ** would not wear them with anything other than denim. And I meant the black ones. You're Looking good there. I've followed you on the WAYWT thread. You have your own style and execute it well. I would say that McTavish shoes worn in anything other than casual outfits require as thoughtful execution as your pictures show. Definitely a higher level shoe.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  9. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

I know many gents here have the same opinion. I'm on the younger side and would never wear anything that looks close to a dress shoe with denim. I purchased the black McTavish to go with a couple of linen suits. I'm thinking casual balmorals should go well with casual (linen) suits.

And as for the navy-ish color of the leather...don't the images below look kinda navy? Maybe it's the brown stitching that changes my perception of the leather color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

Isn't the Ralph Lauren Saunders chukka (made by AE) basically a calf leather Dundee? I'd be interested to see how the 2.0 makeups look like

11. brill

brill Member

So whats the story with AE's ending up in Burlinton coat factory. Been to two burlingtons in the DC area and they are well stocked with decent styles, boots included.

12. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Cleaned up the Chilli Bleecker Streets today. Wish AE made these in suede as well!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

14. J1994

J1994 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the help I have received. After much debating I decided to go with the McAllisters in Merlot.

In regards to maintaining this shoe, what would you recommend? The SA told me that simply utilizing the applicator on the Premium Shoe Polish in Merlot and then using a horsehair brush to shine would keep them well maintained over the years. I reside in south-east TX so the climate is usually either quite dry or rainy (there's rarely an in-between point) - with high temperatures.

1 person likes this.
  15. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

Which Burlingtons? I'm in DC also...how where the pricing and sizes?

16. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

That's correct. I "owned" a pair briefly, until I reminded a nice woman at the Jeffersonville store I had ordered a SanderSON, not a Saunders. Nicely, finished, though.

Given all the interesting boot MTO's this past winter, I could imagine some interesting makeups in a non-shell Dundee, e.g. tan Dublin , Golden Brown CXL, etc.

17. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

18. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Thanks, the chilli color is really versatile

19. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

Those are very nice! But I believe the C.M. branded shoes are the same as the original shell Dundees (1.0?). I think the 2.0's will feature calf and possibly suede uppers.

20. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

The pair in the pic I believe is the calf Dundee (1.0) in black. Maybe AE would just release the CM version under its own brand and call it Dundee 2.0.

The 2.0 certainly piques my interest.

BTW, absolutely love the patina of the pair of Dundee you have for sale. I have a pair and they don't look near what you've got.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.