• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNSamurai

Reaction score
As you may know, the Strand is usually a featured shoe in the annual Nordstrum's Anniversary sale each July-August. The walnut anyway. First quality Strands went for $219 in 2012 and $229 this year. If it were me, I'd hold off for a sale on either 1sts or 2nd's.

For what it's worth, a Nordstom SA told me a month ago or so that there will be a huge mens end of year sale starting 12/26. Might be worth holding out and seeing if the Strand is in there.

On a separate note...does anyone have the Patriots in the bitter chocolate (great name!) suede? How versatile are they? I need to add a loafer to my collection. Wondering if I'm better off with the burgandy calf. The suede looks great in the pictures though.

Scottyb06

Reaction score
Factory seconds for the strand is $269. Should I wait for a sale on them? Or just bite the bullet?

The 'normal' seconds price for Strands is $269. Unless you have some sort of really odd sizing which would cause availability issues, I'd say hold off. This past summer I ordered a pair of Walnut Strands matching the Nordtrom's sale price at $229, however, they were also able to add the tap sole (or had a pair of second with a tap sole available). The shoes turned out to be seconds but I'm not complaining because I can't find the error and I know that the tap sole would have cost extra anyway. I also purchased a pair of suede Strands in the early fall and like them - not as much as my suede Neumoks, but I like them. I think I paid $259 for seconds and the seconds are now $179. Of course, they may not have my size (and they don't have my size in firsts). I agree with the other poster that if money is a major factor you are better off waiting for the Brooks Brothers version of Strands going on sale instead.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with the other poster that if money is a major factor you are better off waiting for the Brooks Brothers version of Strands going on sale instead.

Brooks Brothers version of the AE Strand firsts should be around ~$240 on Christmas or the day after.

fourspin

Reaction score
Just threw down for some Mora 2.0 seconds in Bourbon for $228. Hope they are what I am looking for. There are some great choices for double monks out there, but I'm staying loyal to AE.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snow day. Bayfields in action.

medium800.jpg

DNSamurai

Reaction score
Just returned from the AE store. Returned by Black Friday Neumoras which looked awful on my wide feet. Picked up the Suede Patriots for $245, but as they didn't have my size at the store or in WI, they are being custom made for me. So won't have them until January. Almost picked up the Rothsay as well, but didn't realize only the black are on sale for $195, not the cognac.

Perhaps most importantly the manager, who now knows me, said I could bring in my first ever pair of AEs which are not the right size (11.5 d, bought at another store where the SA never measured me) and we would "see what we could do." If he lets me exchange them for a pair of 9EEEs I will be thrilled.

rschwartz

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a loafer? I stick to the 5 last (Strand, Park Ave, Fifth Ave, McAllister, Kenilworth) and have one pair on the 3 last (Flatiron). Last time I stopped in a store and tried out a few loafers, none of the pairs really fit very well but it was when I was just starting my AE collection. I wear a 11D on each of the shoes listed above. I like the look of the suede Patriots, but not sure they'll fit me well. Any suggestions on what to try on when I next go to my local store?

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a loafer? I stick to the 5 last (Strand, Park Ave, Fifth Ave, McAllister, Kenilworth) and have one pair on the 3 last (Flatiron). Last time I stopped in a store and tried out a few loafers, none of the pairs really fit very well but it was when I was just starting my AE collection. I wear a 11D on each of the shoes listed above. I like the look of the suede Patriots, but not sure they'll fit me well. Any suggestions on what to try on when I next go to my local store?

I really love the Kenwoods I snagged a while back during the clearance sale. I wear an 8D in my 5 lasted shoes and I bought the same size in the Kenwood and they fit and look great.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Can anyone recommend me a loafer? I stick to the 5 last (Strand, Park Ave, Fifth Ave, McAllister, Kenilworth) and have one pair on the 3 last (Flatiron). Last time I stopped in a store and tried out a few loafers, none of the pairs really fit very well but it was when I was just starting my AE collection. I wear a 11D on each of the shoes listed above. I like the look of the suede Patriots, but not sure they'll fit me well. Any suggestions on what to try on when I next go to my local store?

The classic loafers are the Penny (Patriot), Full-Strap (Randolf), and the Tassel (Grayson). Then there are slightly fancier like the Monk Straps (Mora 2) and the Horse-Bit. Then you can go really crazy from there adding in perforations (I.e. Franciscan). I like the basics the best for dressier occasions, but it's up to your preferences and planned uses of the shoe.

-Mike

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I really love the Kenwoods I snagged a while back during the clearance sale. I wear an 8D in my 5 lasted shoes and I bought the same size in the Kenwood and they fit and look great.
The Kenwoods are a nice variant of the Penny loafer as well. Adding ridges to the end of the strap and the ridged tongue and more sleek shape. :)

LEgoiste

Reaction score
So, my regular shoes size is 9 1/2, but my feet are wide/thick on the top. I ordered a pair of Strands on Amazon last month, size 9 EEE, and it was too small and tight for my feet. Then, I ordered another pair directly from AE, size 9.5 E -- it fits perfectly, except for the top part...

That's as close as the "V" meet on the top.

So, my question is: Should I go with 9.5 EEE or go with a different last (if so, which one would you recommend)?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics