• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincikid

Reaction score
odd question, but has anyone ever taken a side by side of AE's version of a LWB in brown shell compared to aldens LWB?

looking at a MTO to fill that void that alden cannot seem to deliver on, thinking the AE might be the way to go..

thanks in advance!

I could point you at this thread comparing brown Alden 975 and #8 AE MacNeil:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/8160
but I anticipate this is not exactly what you are looking for.
If this helps, there's been quite a few pictures of brown AE MacNeil in this thread in the past few days.

Last edited:

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could point you at this thread comparing brown Alden 975 and #8 AE MacNeil:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/8160
but I anticipate this is not exactly what you are looking for.
If this helps, there's been quite a few pictures of brown AE MacNeil in this thread in the past few days.

thanks for the thoughtful response and pics..

I have a pair of 975 from alden, and am hoping to acquire the brown version from them. being their cigar shortage, was wondering how a cappuccino MTO might work.

may call allison on monday.

thanks again!

calidist

Reaction score
Nice pick up sir. I just picked up some near flawless shell Strands froDm there last month before the shell sale. Does anyone know if Jeffersonville would retro price match my previous purchase with the current sale? Thanks

I doubt it, but I'm right there with you. I picked up Brown Dundees from Jeffersonville with the 20% off a couple weeks ago. I figure whether $299 or $360, they were great prices!

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
odd question, but has anyone ever taken a side by side of AE's version of a LWB in brown shell compared to aldens LWB?

looking at a MTO to fill that void that alden cannot seem to deliver on, thinking the AE might be the way to go..

thanks in advance!

If your willing to consider short wing, I'd recommend the C&J Marlow for RL.

Last edited:

spitshine123

Reaction score
Here are the MacNeils at the start of the Mac method:

These were available when I called, but I just didn't know how I felt about the concept of black shell. Does black shell actually patina well through time?

Nevertheless, they look great!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ I don't know how black shell ages, but I really didn't appreciate it till I bought a pair of black shell boots. Now I have a couple pair of black shell on my list. Very under rated.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

^^ I don't know how black shell ages, but I really didn't appreciate it till I bought a pair of black shell boots. Now I have a couple pair of black shell on my list. Very under rated.

I have been in the same boat as you, as I have never been interested in Black Shell... But I have satisfied most of my other colors desires and just got my first pair of Black on the Cambridges. Excited to get them going and thanks to all for informing us about the $299 sale!

MKJ1

Reaction score
I doubt it, but I'm right there with you. I picked up Brown Dundees from Jeffersonville with the 20% off a couple weeks ago. I figure whether $299 or $360, they were great prices!
Thanks, I agree. I was hunting for my first pair of shells, so when I saw the strands were available in my size, I jumped on that price. Maybe next time, I'm still very happy with the purchase. The manager also went above and beyond my expectations and sent me a picture of the negligible defect that made them seconds. That was worth the extra I paid since I had a recent string of really bad seconds I had to send back.

Below are two that I had to return. As you can see, one pair had some really bad creasing on the medial side and significant bowing. The other pair was labeled the same size, but about an entire size smaller.

OpenSesame

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I'm new to this thread but I've already learned a lot looking through all of your great posts. Quick question, I recently purchased some tan cronmoks. I love them, however, I'd like to find a way to alter the color from tan to more of a reddish tone. I've attached pictures of my tan cronmoks along with a picture of the tone that I'd like to get them to.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to alter the color (e.g. oils, dyes, etc.)? Thanks so much.

spitshine123

Reaction score
Thanks, I agree. I was hunting for my first pair of shells, so when I saw the strands were available in my size, I jumped on that price. Maybe next time, I'm still very happy with the purchase. The manager also went above and beyond my expectations and sent me a picture of the negligible defect that made them seconds. That was worth the extra I paid since I had a recent string of really bad seconds I had to send back.

Below are two that I had to return. As you can see, one pair had some really bad creasing on the medial side and significant bowing. The other pair was labeled the same size, but about an entire size smaller.

I've come across a few pairs of del rays with that wrinkling problem too (first and second quality). Sales Associates have told me it is due to the skin having a higher ***** content than usual.

OptoDoc

Reaction score

World travels and females... It takes us all out of the game from time to time.

Really, I kept looking back at the amount of posts after weeks on the road, and I couldn't handle the thousands each time. 

I realize this is a necropost, in a sense, but the suede Strands (a model I requested so many times) brought me back... I miss you all, but mainly the shoes.

Great to have you back, Sizzle.

What is your profession...International man of mystery?

green garden

Reaction score
Got my Leeds seconds today. I would guess they are fairly old since they have the black insole. They are in decent shape, probably a bit below average compared to most seconds I have seen. I think with some work they could be fine though. The biggest point of concern for me is one section of the leather is fairly rough and almost has a pebbled feel. I have not seen this before with cordovan. Anyone have any experience with this?

Yes, kinda. My Alden #8 PTB had a rough patch of around 2 inches long and 1/2 wide at the inside quarter near the topline of the left shoe. Being my first Alden, and not knowing how spotty the quality is, I didn't examine the shoe closely when I first received it. I only noticed the rough patch after around 2 months when I did my first thorough brushing. I called Sherman Bros and they said that it was a natural occurrence in shell and is called pitting. I was pretty insistent that it was defective, so after a few more pictures and emails they agreed to have the factory inspect it. I was hoping they would exchange the shoe. But Sherman wrote me back and said the factory did say it was pitting. They will not replace the shoe because it was a natural characteristic of the leather. They said that so long as the pitting is not on the vamp, they consider it good. I thought that was BS but what can I do. So they just refinished the shoe and sent it back. To their credit, Alden did a fantastic job in the refinishing. I actually can't see the pitting now but can feel it when I run my finger around the patch. Yours is visually not bad as mine. And if it is hidden by our pants, maybe it's not a big deal. Don't know if you can live with that.

calidist

Reaction score
These were available when I called, but I just didn't know how I felt about the concept of black shell. Does black shell actually patina well through time?

Nevertheless, they look great!

You won't get anywhere close to the patina on color 8 or other shades, but you will get some variation and added depth over time. Personally, I like a shiny black shoe that is easy to maintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads